Looking for most economical tractor to meet needs

/ Looking for most economical tractor to meet needs #41  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( . . . leaning towards a used machine. )</font>

After you find a tractor, take a look at www.tractordata.com

That website has quite a bit of information about horsepower, specs, capacities, etc on used tractors. You will probably find the information very helpful.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I don't need to stack round bales so working of the 3 point might be fine. )</font>

The 3pt capacities are typically much higher than FEL capacities and heavy loads won't throw the tractor off balance nearly as easily as heavy loads on a FEL can. A simple bale spear arrangement on a 3pt hitch is very effective at moving the bales as long as you don't need to lift them.

/ Looking for most economical tractor to meet needs #42  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( . . . leaning towards a used machine. )</font>

After you find a tractor, take a look at www.tractordata.com

That website has quite a bit of information about horsepower, specs, capacities, etc on used tractors. You will probably find the information very helpful.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I don't need to stack round bales so working of the 3 point might be fine. )</font>

The 3pt capacities are typically much higher than FEL capacities and heavy loads won't throw the tractor off balance nearly as easily as heavy loads on a FEL can. A simple bale spear arrangement on a 3pt hitch is very effective at moving the bales as long as you don't need to lift them.

/ Looking for most economical tractor to meet needs #43  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You can get a late '60's thru the 70's Ford 2000, 3000, 4000 or 5000 with a loader that will easily do all of your tasks )</font>

Good 5000's go in the 4000-8000$ range. Add on 2-3K$ or so and you've got a pretty monster tractor there.. especially if a late model diesel... 67 pto hp.. a remote.. etc..

Soundguy

/ Looking for most economical tractor to meet needs #44  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You can get a late '60's thru the 70's Ford 2000, 3000, 4000 or 5000 with a loader that will easily do all of your tasks )</font>

Good 5000's go in the 4000-8000$ range. Add on 2-3K$ or so and you've got a pretty monster tractor there.. especially if a late model diesel... 67 pto hp.. a remote.. etc..

Soundguy

/ Looking for most economical tractor to meet needs #45  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Still want a FEL for various tasks. I have seen older Ford 2000, 3000, etc. advertised. If I could find one with a loader I'd be happy. Thanks again )</font>

A 3pt bale spear opens up your options a bit. I think i would shoot for as big as your wallet can handle .. and as new.. for instance.. get as big/new a used tractor as you can, that is in good shape. For instance.. the old 2000's that were 4 cyl gas, are not much different than the 1954 NAA, and 600 series. If you do get one.. get a 3cyl.. preferably good starting diesel.. look for the 3000, 4000, 5000.

I buy a 2$ magazine called heavy equipment trader.. it comes out every friday at jiffy stores.. etc. I've found quite a few great deals there. Many times you can get good utility and ag tractors from 4000-8000$. I've seen 100+ massey ferguson go for 8000.. same for ford 5xxx, 7xxx 8xxx. Also see big sace and jd units.. many of these from the 70's to 80's.. all for pennies on the 'new' dollar.

Soundguy

/ Looking for most economical tractor to meet needs #46  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Still want a FEL for various tasks. I have seen older Ford 2000, 3000, etc. advertised. If I could find one with a loader I'd be happy. Thanks again )</font>

A 3pt bale spear opens up your options a bit. I think i would shoot for as big as your wallet can handle .. and as new.. for instance.. get as big/new a used tractor as you can, that is in good shape. For instance.. the old 2000's that were 4 cyl gas, are not much different than the 1954 NAA, and 600 series. If you do get one.. get a 3cyl.. preferably good starting diesel.. look for the 3000, 4000, 5000.

I buy a 2$ magazine called heavy equipment trader.. it comes out every friday at jiffy stores.. etc. I've found quite a few great deals there. Many times you can get good utility and ag tractors from 4000-8000$. I've seen 100+ massey ferguson go for 8000.. same for ford 5xxx, 7xxx 8xxx. Also see big sace and jd units.. many of these from the 70's to 80's.. all for pennies on the 'new' dollar.

Soundguy

/ Looking for most economical tractor to meet needs #47  
It's good to have a few models and brands to focus on, but keep your options open and SHOP. Get every classified add, visit every dealer, and see what's out there. (Midwest folks have "Fastline" to see what all the dealers have on hand)

There are multitudes of great tractors in the 40 to 60 HP range. Deere models usually have a higher price tag, but some bargains can be found. 2040,2240, maybe a 1530? IH had a few good ones. (my favorite, 574) I'm partial to Masseys and Fords. 135/150, 235/240/245/250, 165, 255 MF's sell from $4000 to $6000 and are ledgends. Ford 3000/3600 (3-cylinders especially) and my favorite, the 4000 (I'd love to find a nice early 70's 4000SU diesel)

Any of the above can have a loader added (new) if you don't find one with it. These are popular tractors. Loader manufacturers still sell products to fit them. There are some outstanding aftermarket loaders out there today.

Since you aren't planning on any row crop farming, it wouldn't be out of line to get ahold of a good industrial model too. (Buddy just sold a nice 3400 Ford w/ loader and new engine for $5800)

Any tractor has to be judged by the particular models reputation, but with a few years use, you're judging each individual tractor on it's own merits. There's good and bad used in every color.

/ Looking for most economical tractor to meet needs #48  
It's good to have a few models and brands to focus on, but keep your options open and SHOP. Get every classified add, visit every dealer, and see what's out there. (Midwest folks have "Fastline" to see what all the dealers have on hand)

There are multitudes of great tractors in the 40 to 60 HP range. Deere models usually have a higher price tag, but some bargains can be found. 2040,2240, maybe a 1530? IH had a few good ones. (my favorite, 574) I'm partial to Masseys and Fords. 135/150, 235/240/245/250, 165, 255 MF's sell from $4000 to $6000 and are ledgends. Ford 3000/3600 (3-cylinders especially) and my favorite, the 4000 (I'd love to find a nice early 70's 4000SU diesel)

Any of the above can have a loader added (new) if you don't find one with it. These are popular tractors. Loader manufacturers still sell products to fit them. There are some outstanding aftermarket loaders out there today.

Since you aren't planning on any row crop farming, it wouldn't be out of line to get ahold of a good industrial model too. (Buddy just sold a nice 3400 Ford w/ loader and new engine for $5800)

Any tractor has to be judged by the particular models reputation, but with a few years use, you're judging each individual tractor on it's own merits. There's good and bad used in every color.

/ Looking for most economical tractor to meet needs #49  
The Kubota L4400 with 4wd and FEL sells for about $19,000 new. The FEL capacity 500mm forward of the pivot pin is 1300 pounds. A 2wd model might fit your needs and budget. It is a 45 hp tractor. Ballast in the rears and a counterweight in the rear would be necessary in my opinion for moving 800 pound bales.

/ Looking for most economical tractor to meet needs #50  
The Kubota L4400 with 4wd and FEL sells for about $19,000 new. The FEL capacity 500mm forward of the pivot pin is 1300 pounds. A 2wd model might fit your needs and budget. It is a 45 hp tractor. Ballast in the rears and a counterweight in the rear would be necessary in my opinion for moving 800 pound bales.