Looking for some ideas for a BH Dolly for a BH92

/ Looking for some ideas for a BH Dolly for a BH92 #1  

lzicc

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650
Does anyone who built a dolly for a larger BH have any pictures to post? I need to build one for mine. I noticed in BH dollies for BX's looks like when you pull the top pins and tilt the BH back, it raises the BH off the bottom hooks without using the outriggers to have to lift it off the hooks. That looks very easy to use, I just to figure out how to build it that way. Anyone have pictures of one? I did a search and saw allot of builds for the BX, but the BH92 is allot larger so I wasn't sure if there are any things I need to be aware of.

/ Looking for some ideas for a BH Dolly for a BH92 #2  
My older model Kubota backhoe is essentially the same size as your BH92 and I've often thought about the same thing, having already built dollies for all the other attachments. The thing that has kept me from doing so is the weight involved... approaching 2,000 lbs for yours and a bit more for mine. Unlike say a box blade, the BH is articulated at several points and stands high off the ground so there's a considerable stability and safety concern if anything goes wonky while you're moving it. Bad enough with a bh that weighs 500-800 lbs, but having 2,000 lbs of tippy steel rolling around on casters just isn't something I want in my shop. Maybe I'm too much of a chicken about this, but I've just set up some good cribbing in one corner of the shop where my backhoe can sit undisturbed when not in use. (See picture)

If you do decide to build something, make sure it's plenty strong enough to hold the weight and not flex, bend or crack. You'll want casters that can pivot easily under that much weight, because you don't want to have them bind up while you're trying to jockey the bh back into a parking spot. Shoving something that heavy around on small wheels would be a manly thing to do.

Last edited:
   / Looking for some ideas for a BH Dolly for a BH92 #3  
i am not a fan of rubber caster wheels when there is a good amount of weight involved. make sure ya go with metal caster wheels. rubber wheels, i have had them catch, and bend side ways on me, to simply cracking. there is pure metal wheels, and then a metal wheel with a little say 1/8" bit of rubber around the outside of the wheels. if you want to keep from scratching up concrete floor.

be mine full of what happens if hydraulics begin to leak down... it could cause bucket, boom, etc... to fold right off dolly, (edge of were bucket is) or fold off in opposite direction.

out riggers do and will collapse to the ground. and it may only be one or other or both that drop at different rates to the ground, and could possibly tip everything over.
also don't rely on out riggers to keep backhoe from falling over when on the dolly, they can and will leak, possibly causing backhoe to tip over.

google...
backhoe dolly site:www. tractorbynet .com
((added 2 spaces to above link notation due to forum software automatically coverts it to something else))

and then i just googled
backhoe dolly
then clicked up on images and found below videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-2vmslLBVY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRNO35pwUkE

most of the images i saw, everything kinda folded towards the center, though i did see a few pictures were... bucket cylinder could leak down some causing dip stick and boom to all fold over the bucket and make things fall off the dolly.

in one of the videos it looks like guy is using a dog leash (a clip on each end) to hold out riggers up. looks like the rope is fairly tight most likely a good thing.

/ Looking for some ideas for a BH Dolly for a BH92 #4  
I do not have enough hard surfaced area to use dollies, but I would agree that you are better off finding a dedicated area to store the backhoe, and using cribbing. For my Woods 9000, I use 3# 6x6s or pieces of firewood.

/ Looking for some ideas for a BH Dolly for a BH92 #5  
When I had my L3240 I made a dolly for the BH90 backhoe on it.The dolly was actually one I made for my previous BX25 and I modified it to work with the bigger hoe.I used it quite a few times and never had a problem with it.If I were to do it again I would use bigger,stronger casters.I no longer have the backhoe or dolly but do have some photos of it.Hope they help.

Attachments

• P1000162.jpg
    P1000162.jpg
    1,019.4 KB · Views: 1,931
  • P1000159.jpg
    P1000159.jpg
    1,020.4 KB · Views: 1,794
  • P1000155.jpg
    P1000155.jpg
    1,020.8 KB · Views: 512
  • P1000157.jpg
    P1000157.jpg
    1,021.6 KB · Views: 558
  • P1000158.jpg
    P1000158.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 312
  • P1000153.jpg
    P1000153.jpg
    1,019.5 KB · Views: 404
  • P1000154.jpg
    P1000154.jpg
    1,019.4 KB · Views: 1,193
  • P1000150.jpg
    P1000150.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 554
   / Looking for some ideas for a BH Dolly for a BH92
Thanks for the pictures. It didn't feel too tippy on the dolly?

/ Looking for some ideas for a BH Dolly for a BH92 #7  
Smaller hoe than what you have but maybe you can get some ideas.

image.jpg

/ Looking for some ideas for a BH Dolly for a BH92 #8  
Thanks for the pictures. It didn't feel too tippy on the dolly?

No,it felt quite secure but I only moved it a short distance on the concrete garage floor.I did try pushing hard on it to see if it was tippy but it wouldn't rock at all.If I was to build another one I would make it a bit wider.Also,like I said,I would use stronger larger casters.

/ Looking for some ideas for a BH Dolly for a BH92 #9  
Hello Fellow Canadian,

We used to live in Dartmouth for 5 years working in Shearwater but live in NB now. I really like your backhoe jig. Do you have any plans that you would like to share?

/ Looking for some ideas for a BH Dolly for a BH92 #10  
I built this one originally for a BH90 on my old L3430. I modified it for the BH92 on my new MX5800 by adding a few wooden shim blocks.

Pic A.jpg Pic B.jpg Pic C.jpg Pic D.jpg Pic E.jpg
Pic F.jpg Pic G.jpg

The dolly is basically a "T" made from 2X6 lumber with 3 - 6" iron casters from Tractor Supply:
Waxman Titan 6 in. Steel Caster Swivel at Tractor Supply Co.

The 6" channel iron extensions are for increased stability and to allow clearance for the stabilizers when lowered.