Looking for some input

/ Looking for some input #1  

btownacres

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF1531
OK, just figured out my other post was in the wrong area of this board, sorry all. Anyway, I am in search of a tractor for general heavy duty around the yard landscaping, grading, moving loam, rocks, etc. I have 10 acres that 9 of which are wooded. I would like to start some clearing work and be able to drag out the logs of the trees I take down. I have looked at the 20 & 26 HP Mahindras Kioti's, & Farm Trac. All are available with a couple of miles from my house. The one dealer who sold the Mahindra and Kioti was totally for the Mahindra 2615 HST. Nice machine I think, 4wd with a woods bucket at around $16500 new. Although if the 2015 HST is big enough I could also get a BH for about the same total dollars. My question is, for those of you who know, is the 20HP too small for what I need? Also, what would you all recommend? This will be my first tractor and want to make thr right choice. I am also looking around at used but finding prices to be pretty hefty on those as well. Appreciate any input I can get!
Thanks!

/ Looking for some input #2  
Mark

My reply got disconnected from your post as it got moved to this forum. Check it out on Owning/Operating unless it gets reconnected.

Steve (dogfarm)

/ Looking for some input #3  
Welcome to TBN Tbrownacres

For what you will be doing, I would go no lighter than the Mahindra 2615 HST you are considering. For the size of your lot I would actually go larger, say 35 to 45 HP. There are always trade-offs. If you go too large you may find it difficult maneuvering in the woods & of course if it is wet & soggy out, you won't want to take the beast out too close to the homestead area. On the flip side, for some of those logging chores, landscaping, moving rock, etc......you will be very glad you went larger & heavier !!

I found the same thing out that your faced with. Wanted to go used but the prices were much higher than I expected for tractors that in my opinion looked like they were well used. Almost bought new but lucked out on a low hours unit. Went from a Class II new (that was more money) to a used Class III that was in almost mint shape. Although I probably would have been happy with the Class II, with the work I have done in the past two years moving mound after mound of horse manure & dirt for landscaping, sure glad I have a larger tractor. Fewer trips, more lift capacity, better traction. Can't beat it !!

Good Luck,

Vic

/ Looking for some input
Thanks Steve, I'll wait and see if it gets reconnected. Right now, it's not there-

/ Looking for some input #5  
Watch for going too small. A trade off for a BH and going smaller you may regret. How much BH work will you do, and if not much can you rent that for the little time you need it. Get the tractor that you think you need for the majority of your work.

murph

/ Looking for some input
Thanks for the input Vic! My only worry about getting too big is being able to manuever it around the yard as well doing some chores a bit closer to the house. Granted, I don't know much about the size of these things except for when I stand next to them! But I have been reading up and do realize a bigger bucket and greater lift capacity is desired. But sure do hope a B'Hoe is in the package I end up with! Will probably take a road trip into NH this weekend to scope out some decent looking deals on used. But from what I have seen so far, the Mahindra is the best value around here for new.
Thanks Again!
Mark

/ Looking for some input
Hey Murph-
Good advice, that has been going through my mind these past few days. As for the B'hoe, I need to do some terracing around the yard and figured it would be good for loosening things up so I can scoop it out with the bucket. Need to do a bit of trenching for drainage as well, lotsa rocks! Then whatever trees I take down close to the yard, I'll want to dig out the stumps. But all-in-all, it's good to hear that there are folks out there that can help confirm what I think I need!
Thanks
Mark

/ Looking for some input #8  
I'm doing the same sort of work you describe and am very happy with a 21hp TLB. Unless you need to pull a big plow or are doing professional landscaping, I don't see the need for bigger. The thirty hp machines do not have 50% greater capacity when it comes to FEL or BH. Toothbar and bucket grapple attachment would be very useful (necessary) to facilitate moving all that brush and tree debris but I don't see anything on your list that needs more than low 20's in horsepower.

/ Looking for some input #9  
you can consider a Kubota L 39 also. A true backhoe with 3 pt hitch add on.. Not that big of a machine and very powerful, one that will last you many years... The 39 has the power to rip out stumps, grade, whatever you will need... The Kubota L 48 is much bigger and heavier, which is what I have and use it on 11 plus acres.

/ Looking for some input #10  
Keep in mind the Kioti CK25 & 30 come with things like a fender mounted joystick for the FEL, curved boom FEL, telescopic lift arm's, one piece hood, tilt steering and other options that make it more user friendly then the Mahindra (in my opinion at least).