looking for the right size and brand of compact tractor

/ looking for the right size and brand of compact tractor #11  
well this is me,but i didnt see or find a 40hp tractor that could lift 2000lbs with the loader an weight on the 3pt that id feel comfy with.

/ looking for the right size and brand of compact tractor #12  
well this is me,but i didnt see or find a 40hp tractor that could lift 2000lbs with the loader an weight on the 3pt that id feel comfy with.

So that I understand where you are coming from, what tractor do you feel comfy with for that load size?

/ looking for the right size and brand of compact tractor #13  
So that I understand where you are coming from, what tractor do you feel comfy with for that load size?

i run a MX5100 HST 4x4 w/LA844 quick tatch loader.an we lift an haul 5 by 6 1500lb bales all the time on the loader.as well as protine tubs on occasion.

/ looking for the right size and brand of compact tractor #14  
i run a MX5100 HST 4x4 w/LA844 quick tatch loader.an we lift an haul 5 by 6 1500lb bales all the time on the loader.as well as protine tubs on occasion.

Ok, thanks.

/ looking for the right size and brand of compact tractor #15  
Taking into consideration the added 200 acres, I would bump up into the 40-50 HP like the Grand L or equivalent in another color, John Deere, Kioti, MF etc.

I use our 5030 in our woods and haven't caused any damage even with repeated trips over the same area.

It may seem a little big on the lot, but tractors seem to shrink when you start using them.

+1 The odd time I'll think I should've taken a risk on a used 6000lb+ utility tractor, but not often.
Roughly, almost all tractors have the same ground pressure but a big one will make bigger ruts in a wet spot.
I think though the 40-50hp size tractor 3500lbs+ is good comprimise for size and power and utility for odd jobs. You can drive it in the woods without needing a wide road, but it still can pull a big tree trunk off the trail or down the trail.

/ looking for the right size and brand of compact tractor #16  
Ok, first post on here.. Well im looking for a compact size tractor with a loader. I own 5 acres of woods and have a log home in them. I recently bought an outside wood furnace and would like to have a tractor to clean up and haul wood around, along with other chores.

I also have access to about 200 acres surrounding me (the neighbors like me!!) I dont want a overly large tractor because i dont wanna make logging trails on my friendly neighbors land, and id like to be able to park it in the garage. Im typically partial to John deere, but not saying it has to be green!!
what do you guys think would be good?? ohhh forgot to mention id like a 4x4!

Sparky, it seems like the others are recommending a pretty respectable tractor (30-50 hp seems to be the consensus), mostly because of the 200 acres, I guess. But it seems to me that size tractor may be at odds to your comment about keeping the "roadbuilding" to a minimum on your neighbor's land and needing to park it in your garage. If all you figure to be doing is bringing an occasional log out of your neighbor's land and the rest of the time taking care of your own 5 acres, I think a smaller tractor could do the job for you. Buying bigger is better than under purchasing, of course - if you can afford to do so.

As for brands, there are a lot of good machines available. Deere and Kubota are the big ones in the market for under 50hp tractors and each has a whole range of models available, but there are others also... Kioti, Mahindra, Massey, Case IH, etc. Find out who has good local dealers and shop all of them. The features vary between brands and you may find one that you really like.

/ looking for the right size and brand of compact tractor #17  
I'm sure you'll have lots of use for a loader with what you've said you want the tractor for, but a FEL is not the best way to get logs out of the woods. The 3pt on a tractor is meant to take that kind of load, and depending on whether your neighbours prefer you knock the brush off any trees on your property or theirs, might be the only way to go. On my property, in areas I want to disturb the least, I've always found leaving a little brush on the top of the tree helps not only keep from rutting things up too badly but keeps the log clean, whether milling it into board or cutting it into 4 foot lengths for your outdoor furnace. I've hauled a lot of logs with a 35 HP two wheel drive tractor, I have to agree with grandad that 50 HP might be more than you need, but is always nice to have if you need it down the road. :thumbsup:

/ looking for the right size and brand of compact tractor #18  
are you wanting power and weight. or go with a smaller tractor but has the extras... (extras can be extremely nice at times)

it is the small things that add up fast.

transmission, awe love shuttle shift or like. other words, just a push of a button and flip of a lever, and i can go in reverse or forward without ever using foot clutch.
foot clutching every time to change gears, or going from forward to reverse kills the body, or rather i amazed i still have a foot.

chains for rear tires.
extra rear hydraulic port.
TNT (top and tilt) for 3 pt hitch. so you do not have to manually adjust the links, to adjust the scrapper blade or box blade, or another attachment.
3pt backhoe with sub-frame for your tractor.
mechanical or hydraulic thumb for back hoe.
work lights, (both front and rear) large help more so at this time of year as zero to an hour or 2 of working light when ya get home.
cab version of tractor. always nice, more so the bloody cold winter and dealing with the snow in the wee early morning.
hooks on front bucket, to hook chains to.
tooth bar for front bucket possibly,
places to hold/put chains on the tractor.
a tool box or 2 on tractor.
loaded rear tires.
MFWD or 4x4 drive tractor.
logging winch
forks for FEL.
bush hog (rotatory cutter)
bush / tree grubber
post hole digger.
mesh for rear of tractor. so if you are pulling and chain/cable busts. it does not come flying into the back of you and harming you or killing you.
block heater, to deal with winter.

====================
to the above, i say get a tractor that fits your property and go for the extras.

if it was family or best friend neighbor ok. but a neighbor that you are half way neighborly with. i would say, you are trying to buy to much for your needs.

a smaller tractor can get things done it just takes longer.

granted you may come up with some large projects. were it might be easier to just rent a tracked excavator. to say dig up and deal with large size stumps, or a bunch of stumps at one time or what not.

=============
i say drop it down to the 25 to 35hp range tractor. and get the extras.

tractor + FEL + backhoe + 1 to 2 extra hydraulic ports. and if option larger size alternator for tractor, and either R1 or R4 tires.
either backhoe from manufacturer or a third party backhoe bought at same time as tractor is bought.

everything else can be had through third party doings perhaps on the cheaper side, if you are mechanically inclined / have a work shop / tools already.

================
on a side note. i gotta have my "right and left steering brakes" for rear end. along with deferential lock. granted having MWFD aka (4x4) helps a lot. but steering brakes and deferential lock, for me is not optional. more so when it comes time to getting my rear unstuck. and/or doing some tasks. such as grading drive, plowing drive (err ice skating on drive), getting half way buried in mud, etc...

also make sure you seat down in different machines, some of the tractors may seem funky in how the controls are setup.

/ looking for the right size and brand of compact tractor
Thanks everyone for the imput.. gotta convince the wifey that i need a new toy!!!:D Im kinda gearing toward a 25 to 35 hp range.. alot of the lingo here is new to me, but i'll learn! I llike the idea of going a for a smaller unit and gettin the extras!! not that im gonna undersize and work the heck out of it.. I was kinda checking out the kiotis.. whats the price range for say a 25 to 30 hp tractor??? In order to convinve the wife i need one i need to keep the price down or buy used..

/ looking for the right size and brand of compact tractor #20  
Look in kioti forum. But as I recall, a ck27 HST goes for around $17k with loader, ballpark. A little cheaper if manual tranny. Promotions can save u thousands. So it pays to shop and wait a bit for the best deal.

I still say the ck20 would be plenty of tractor. 2000 lbs of tractor with 1100 lbs loader lift. And nice and compact.