Tires Looking for tips on removing loaded R1 rear on L4760

/ Looking for tips on removing loaded R1 rear on L4760 #11  
Wow. Loaded turf tires are fat and a lot heavier than his R1s. They are however probably much less likely to tilt left/right being so fat and having a wide area in contact with the ground. Interesting report of your experience.

I actually don't have experience moving around loaded r1's but ive moved r3 and r4's quite a bit. Just judging from pictures of r1's I'm really not sure they'd be more tippy. It seems like the lugs are pretty flat across but I have to admit I don't know first hand. I'll say for sure that highly inflated tires are way harder to keep upright though. those 18" wide turf tires will stand up on their own if they only have like 10 psi in them.

/ Looking for tips on removing loaded R1 rear on L4760 #13  
I not sure if I have a more detailed pictures. Here are 2 from when I needed to replace my fuel gauge on my JD 4320. I modified an engine lifter to do my tire changes. I swap out my ind lug tires 17.5-24 to turf tires every spring and fall. The ind lug tires are are filled with rim guard/ 550 lbs. approx. with 2 wheel weights approx. 210 lbs. plus the rim and tire weight. With out the wheel weights they were vertically stable. Now with the wheel weights they want to lean at a 15/20 deg angle towards the weight side. It makes them harder to control and move around. I modified the support legs of the engine lifter to give it a wider opening around the wheels and parallel to each other. I use a custom length of chain, screw shackles and a special 2.0 X 2.0 pc of box tubing with lugs as a lifting adapter. It works for me but like I said I do this change over 2 times a year.

Attachments

• 20170116_132511_001.jpg
    20170116_132511_001.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 76
  • 20170116_132536_002.jpg
    20170116_132536_002.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 73
   / Looking for tips on removing loaded R1 rear on L4760 #14  
I forgot to mention one thing. This works for my tractor and the industrial lug tires. If I had R1 tires this would not work because I would not have sufficient clearance between the tire and fender for the lifting adapter/ 13.6-28's. I am not sure of your tire to fender clearance. Some tractors have the tire and fender so close you cannot even use chains. At the local fair a short time ago the was a new Massey compact tractor with industrial lug tires and you could not even get your little pinky between the tire and fender. Not good.

/ Looking for tips on removing loaded R1 rear on L4760 #15  
I not sure if I have a more detailed pictures. Here are 2 from when I needed to replace my fuel gauge on my JD 4320. I modified an engine lifter to do my tire changes. I swap out my ind lug tires 17.5-24 to turf tires every spring and fall. The ind lug tires are are filled with rim guard/ 550 lbs. approx. with 2 wheel weights approx. 210 lbs. plus the rim and tire weight. With out the wheel weights they were vertically stable. Now with the wheel weights they want to lean at a 15/20 deg angle towards the weight side. It makes them harder to control and move around. I modified the support legs of the engine lifter to give it a wider opening around the wheels and parallel to each other. I use a custom length of chain, screw shackles and a special 2.0 X 2.0 pc of box tubing with lugs as a lifting adapter. It works for me but like I said I do this change over 2 times a year.
That's a great solution. It does require a nice smooth concrete floor (which I do not have at my farm) but otherwise it is just about ideal.

/ Looking for tips on removing loaded R1 rear on L4760 #16  
Why are you removing the tire? If there is something wrong with it bite the bullet and get the farm tire repair guy. They have the equipment and knowledge. Service call to fix a tractor tire around here is about $200.

/ Looking for tips on removing loaded R1 rear on L4760 #18  
The dolly above is probably a good idea (for flat smooth concrete locations) but there is no provision to avoid tip over. This tire thing is still a 2 person job to me. By the way I have a friend who restores antique automobiles and he has a current project car on 4 of these dollies and can orient the car any direction he wants within his shop.

/ Looking for tips on removing loaded R1 rear on L4760
I thought about dolly thing like above but I'm not sure that's gonna be lug friendly. I think I'd rather work i no the ground and know what the ground is gonna do vs have a lug slip off the edge of that and then the wheel wants to be off angle.

I have pulled an old 8N wheel before - this one is just gonna be heavier is all and the tread is quite a bit more aggressive so that's the wondering about the lugs.

I'm not going to use someone to pull it because I need it off to access the panel behind the wheel to install rear remotes.

I'm not sure I can get another tractor in and to the wheel to access it with the loader in the barn due to space... I know I want to keep the FEL on the L4760 when doing this to manage the weight offset the wheel coming off introduces.

It should be fun!

/ Looking for tips on removing loaded R1 rear on L4760 #20  
I removed the loaded R-1 rear tires on my first tractor - Ford 1700. They were Ag rims and I wanted to widen the stance. One of the tires DID flop down and almost caught me under it.

There is NO WAY I would even consider removing the RimGuard loaded rear tires on my M6040. With 775 pounds of RimGuard in each tire - one tire would be well over 1000 pounds.

It would be a call for service from our friendly tire store in our small town.