Looking for tractor! (long. . .)

/ Looking for tractor! (long. . .)
To the OP , I wouldn,t rule out a good used grey market tractor for Your needs. Sure Parts might be hard to find on some models. IF You ever need any. :rolleyes:

I,ve been running My Isekis for years & haven,t needed any parts Yet , Just regular service & I dont do that as regularly as most . I put on an average 6 hours a day on them . Sure Might not be the Pertiest tractor . But Bullet proof IMO & I aint found anything They wont do .

If I was to sell Mine today I would ask around 6 to 7 grand with loader & attachments . But You can find them cheaper . Just check them out good before buying .

Check out the Iseki forum here & you,ll find it one of the loneliest places here , Not Because no one has them , Just because they very seldom break down :D . Just My opinion . Best of luck. Bob

Thanks, Bob. I just might go Gray market. I'm not likely to be going back to a dealership for service unless it's something where I'm way out of my depth. I'm more the type to get a manual or latch onto an online community, and get help like that.

I've read a little bit on here about Vietnam rebuilds, and talk about some tractors lacking standard stuff (like waterpumps?). That stuff kind of scares me in that there seem to be a lot of unknowns. I would be happier not doing something out of ignorance that I'd regret later. . . . You know what I mean? The other thing is that with the grays lack of support there doesn't seem to be anyone around here that really deals in them. One thing that I've always liked is to be able to go down to the IH dealership and pick up parts for my Cub Cadet or to the NAPA to get Kohler engine parts. I asked the NAPA guy last time if he can get parts for Yanmar. He said maybe filters. . . . Otherwise, didn't seem to be too enthusiastic.

Where did you buy your tractor? How did you know it would work for you? You sound like you use yours a lot more than I probably would.

Jim

/ Looking for tractor! (long. . .) #12  
I wouldn't be to sure you can get yanmar parts at napa.. my local one can't cross any of the grey market numbers. you can get 'will-fit' stuff. but......

soundguy

Yes.. I'm partial to ford and New holland. And those models listed should be found at NH dealerships.. or used resales places.

Blue over orange? I like the red/grey/blue paint color better ;)

In all seriousness.. I like the old fords as they are realitively easy to work on and parts availability s generally good for many older models. newer ford/nh units are likely jap made. and should be of similar quality as the kubota line.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Here's a pic of my other tractor

02-Tractor.jpg

And, yeah, it's still in pieces. . . . It's 9 months later, and it's always something. I'm trying to replace distributor because the cap and rotor are NLA! Still the quality just drips off this old beast--big, heavy castings, etc. She still purrs very nicely when she's running. . . .

The think is that these older machines aren't really designed for the type of work that I'm doing here. They're bigger and longer--designed for field work. I need something that gets the power to the ground while still being light and manueverable.

I don't have anything specifically negative to say about kubota.. I've run a couple of them here and there when there was nothing else to use :) I have seen some examples here of issues with power steering hoses.. however every 'color' tractor seems to have it's own skeleton in the closet... to be fair, some NH units tend to fog their instrument panel pretty good.. etc.. etc. One thing i like about ford / nh is the $$ in my area.. for 'big 3' brands, ford's and NH's are pretty much the cheapest HP per $ massey ferguson is very close second.. kubota and john deer are for te rich people :( I'm sure this is a regional thing. I've heard other in different parts of the country state differently that their brand color was cheaper than blue.. etc.. etc.

soundguy

Yeah, $ per HP. . . . That seems to be a function of the dealership as much as anything, doesn't it? These chains around here really know how to charge, IMO. Not, that you can really blame them. I can't imagine what their bills must be like. I think the older dealerships that are still hanging on can afford to be a little more reasonable?

Jim

I wouldn't be to sure you can get yanmar parts at napa.. my local one can't cross any of the grey market numbers. you can get 'will-fit' stuff. but......

soundguy

Yeah, that's what he was basically telling me. He could cross-reference part numbers for filters, but really nothing beyond that.

Jim

/ Looking for tractor! (long. . .) #15  
Yep.. them older ones.. while deficient on some modern saftey features and some bells / whistles / convieniences.. they cn be a good value for a no frills worker.

soundguy

Yeah, I know what you mean. Here's a pic of my other tractor

02-Tractor.jpg

And, yeah, it's still in pieces. . . . It's 9 months later, and it's always something. I'm trying to replace distributor because the cap and rotor are NLA! Still the quality just drips off this old beast--big, heavy castings, etc. She still purrs very nicely when she's running. . . .

The think is that these older machines aren't really designed for the type of work that I'm doing here. They're bigger and longer--designed for field work. I need something that gets the power to the ground while still being light and manueverable.

Yeah, $ per HP. . . . That seems to be a function of the dealership as much as anything, doesn't it? These chains around here really know how to charge, IMO. Not, that you can really blame them. I can't imagine what their bills must be like. I think the older dealerships that are still hanging on can afford to be a little more reasonable?

Jim