Looking to buy my first tractor

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #1  

c5fire

Tractor
First time buying
Hi just joined the group, I’m looking for opinions on what tractor to get I’m thinking that a compact is what I need. I’ve got a little over 20 acres in north east Texas a lot of timber on the property a lot of down trees needing cleaning up and piles to burn.

I’m planning to do a lot of heavy lifting in addition to a good bit of dirt work. That said I require a front end loader, a box blade and eventually like to get a grappler and a brush hog and I’m sure other implants down the road. I’ve gone to several of the local tractor dealers just looking and having no real ideas on what to get.

For the little bit of research that I have done I like a lot of the standard options the new Summit tractor offers. I know it is not a well established company and only time will tell.

One thing I would prefer is that the tractor not need DEF because of the added complexity of them and from what I’ve heard they can be more finicky. I’ve been advised to stay away from the tractors with regin systems.

Additionally I would like to stay under 25k

Thanks in advance.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #2  
Welcome!

Are you looking to purchase new or pre-owned?

I think with your budget and the fact you want to stay away from emissions, you could get more value in a pre-owned, pre-emissions tractor.

Mike

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #3  
Compact track loader would serve you better than a tractor for now. 25,000 you would be looking at a slightly high hour machine that might need a little work. Beat the hell out of it doing your heavy lifting then sell it for a little newer tractor down the road. You should be able to get most if not all of your money back out of it.

Another option if you don't have to trailer it around a used full sized backhoe with a 4 in 1 bucket can do some major heavy work cleaning the place up.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #4  
Hi just joined the group, I’m looking for opinions on what tractor to get I’m thinking that a compact is what I need. I’ve got a little over 20 acres in north east Texas a lot of timber on the property a lot of down trees needing cleaning up and piles to burn.

I’m planning to do a lot of heavy lifting in addition to a good bit of dirt work. That said I require a front end loader, a box blade and eventually like to get a grappler and a brush hog and I’m sure other implants down the road. I’ve gone to several of the local tractor dealers just looking and having no real ideas on what to get.

For the little bit of research that I have done I like a lot of the standard options the new Summit tractor offers. I know it is not a well established company and only time will tell.

One thing I would prefer is that the tractor not need DEF because of the added complexity of them and from what I’ve heard they can be more finicky. I’ve been advised to stay away from the tractors with regin systems.

Additionally I would like to stay under 25k

Thanks in advance.
The Summit tractor website seems to indicate that they are only available in one small model: a smallish 25hp lightweight machine. It doesn’t sound suitable for your intended uses. DEF systems aren’t used in machines less than 75hp.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #5  
I’m soliciting opinions on what 'first' tractor to get. I think a compact tractor is what I need. I’ve got a little over 20 acres in north east Texas a lot of timber on the property a lot of down trees and piles to burn.

I plan a lot of heavy lifting in addition to a good bit of dirt work. That said I require a front end loader, a box blade and eventually like to get a grapple and a brush hog and I’m sure other implements down the road.
I’ve gone to several of the local tractor dealers just looking. I have no idea of what I need.

The fundamental importance of TRACTOR WEIGHT eludes many tractor shoppers. Tractor capability is more closely correlated to tractor weight than any other single (1) specification.

The most efficient way to shop for tractors is to first identify potential tractor applications, then, through consulataton, establish bare tractor weight necessary to safely accomplish your applications. Tractor dealers, experienced tractor owners and TractorByNet.com are sources for weight recommendations.

Sufficient tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

Within subcompact and compact tractor categories, a significant tractor capability increase requires a bare tractor weight increase of 50%. It takes a 100% increase in bare tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!

Shop your weight range within tractor brands. Budget will eliminate some choices. Collect a dealer brochure for each tractor model in your weight range. I spreadsheet tractor and implement specs, often a revealing exercise. I have a column for cost per pound.

Most tractors under 3,000 pounds bare weight operate in residential or hobby farm applications on one to ten flat acres.

Selling a used tractor is easy. Selling multiple light implements in order to buy heavier, wider implements for a new, heavier tractor requires a lot of time. Depreciation on implements is worse than depreciation on a tractor.

When considering a tractor purchase bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third, rear wheel/tire ballast fourth.

A quality dealer, reasonably close, available for coaching, is important for tractor neophytes. Most new tractors are delivered with a glitch or two requiring correction. My Kubota dealer is six miles away. I feel my local dealer continues to add value to my equipment after nine years. Dealer proximity is less important for those experienced with tractors and qualified to perform their own maintenance.

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR.

For your safety as a first time tractor operator with 20 acres and the expectation of timber lifting with the FEL you need a compact tractor of minimum 3,700 pounds to 4,000 pounds bare tractor weight. This is a volume segment of the compact tractor category. Every manufacturer produces several models in this weight. Many available used. Pre-2013 compact tractors of greater than 26-horsepower were produced before Tier IV emissions control paraphernalia was required, ie: before DPF/Diesel Particulate Filter.

((You cannot enjoy operating a tractor if you are dead from a rollover. ))

Tractors of 3,700 to 4,000 pounds bare weight have the rear wheel/tire spread to be reasonably steady when lifting one ton FEL loads or pulling implements over ground less than perfectly flat and perfectly smooth.

Last edited:
   / Looking to buy my first tractor #6  
Brand? Models to look at or avoid? Buy new or used?

The design of the Three Point Hitch tractor has been marketed in the USA since 1939 -- 83 years in 2022.

The basic design is generic.

Kubota and Deere have most of the market through 6,000 pound bare weight tractors. But this Kubota/Deere predominance is regional.

The up and coming compact tractor brands are Korean: Kioti, LS and Branson. There are other Korean brands. You have to critically assess dealer stability while shopping minor brands.

Korean manufacturing labor is paid 50% of what Deere pays its union work force. Japanese manufacturing labor is paid 70% of what Deere pays its union work force. Labor costs strongly influence tractor prices.

We have the following brands within an hour of us.
  • Kubota
  • LS
  • TYM
  • KIOTI
  • Massey Ferguson
  • John Deere
I know that a lot depends on the dealer and their willingness to help, but should I stay away from any of these brands?

Start with the nearest dealer and work out.

Transporting a tractor for service is expensive and inconvenient, whether you trailer it or the dealer trailers it.

CREDIT: 'FELIXEDO'

"It has been touched on a couple of times, but not directly as a buying factor.

Every major make has a machine that will do the job(s) you want. Check out your nearby dealers, and go with one you have confidence in.

A great machine with no support nearby is a hassle to repair and maintain.

And a good machine can't make a lousy dealer into a good dealer."

Last edited:
   / Looking to buy my first tractor #7  
At least in our area;dairy country;I would look for a 70-100 hp used machine with FEL.Why: that size;too big for most home-owners and too small for most farmers.
Buy a "name brand" with a fairly local dealer.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #8  
When considering a tractor purchase bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third, rear wheel/tire ballast fourth.

Above are important considerations.

I would prefer the tractor not need DEF because of the added complexity. From what I’ve heard they can be finicky. I’ve been advised to stay away from the tractors with regen systems.

Emission controls are not immaterial considerations but much lower in priority.

Looking to buy my first Kioti tractor for my 26 acre farm. The tasks are bush-hogging 20 acres once per year that includes steep hills, tilling my vegetable garden, 1000 foot gravel driveway maintenance, cutting and hauling wood for winter and just general tractor and loader work.

I think the Kioti ck2610 would suit most of my needs except bush hogging.

Subcompact and compact tractors under 3,000 pounds bare weight operate in landscape, kitchen/commercial garden or hobby farm applications on one to ten flat acres.

~~ BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR ~~​

Bare tractor weight first

Looking to buy my first tractor for my 26 acre farm that includes steep hills.

CK2610 is too light/narrow/unstable for your topography and tractor applications.

Every tractor producer has at least an economy and deluxe model in the 4,000 pound bare weight category, with a 66" width and 40 to 60 horsepower. These are the mid-weights in the compact tractor category and sell in high unit volumes.

tractor horsepower second

I am assuming I can run a 6ft bush hog and might get away with a 7ft.

Mowing once per year you will need a heavy duty Rotary Cutter weighing 1,100 to 1,500 pounds and at least 50 engine horsepower to spin it cutting 5' to 7' tall grass and a year's production of brush.

If contemplating a cab tractor, 60 engine horsepower would be better. The cab weighs ~ 700 pounds ~ and the air conditioning requires several horsepower.

rear axle width third

Tractors are inherently unstable operating on sloped ground. Tractor rear wheel/tire spread, sometimes adjustable, is a critical factor increasing compact tractor stability working sloped or uneven ground. A 6" to 10" increase in rear axle width substantially decreases tractor rollover potential. Tractor width is an approximation of rear axle width.

Small tractor wheels drop into holes, disrupting traction. Larger wheels and tires supplied on heavier tractors bridge holes and ruts, increasing traction. Larger wheels and tires permit higher operating speed over uneven ground by reducing implement bounce and operator perturbation.

rear wheel/tire ballast fourth

To apply 60-horsepower to the ground with an open station tractor you will probably want rear tires filled 50% or 75% with liquid to lower tractor center-of-gravity and bolt-on wheel weights.

If you are considering a cab tractor the cab weight substitutes for wheel weights.

Tasks include hauling wood for winter and just general tractor and loader work.

With this ballast on the rear wheels of an open station tractor you will be able to lift 65% (+/-) of Loader capacity without a Three Point Hitch implement mounted.

Last edited:
   / Looking to buy my first tractor #9  
In the old days tractors were especially heavy because they did not have 4 wheel drive...
4x4 on a compact tractor with loaded rears greatly makes up for lack of bare machine weight...

Tractor weight is very important for ground engaging implements but not so much for other applications...
...Smaller, lighter tractors can often do the exact same work as heavier tractors just not as fast...

IMO the number one factor to accomplishing desired work is operator experience with properly sized attachments...

Something else to consider when wanting a grapple...here on TBN...99% of the pictures posted of full grapples at work can be accomplished with just a "thumb" grapple on a FEL bucket...often a well designed thump grapple can be moved from bucket to forks when desirable...

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #10  
I would not buy a grapple again unless moving a lot a brush. A set of pallet forks and a thumb will be far more useful. Something like this:

IMO you want a 35-45 HP machine weighing 3500-4000 lbs and filled rear tires. If you ever want to remove a lot of stumps, a 3PH stump grinder might be worth looking at.

Heavy lifting is dangerous work. Weight and wide tractor are your friends.