looking to buy utility trailer

/ looking to buy utility trailer #11  
I can honestly say I have had much better luck with certian brands of trailer tires then others. You could not give me a Goodyear or Carlisle. I will never run them again. Got stupid this spring with Goodyears again and blew 2 of the 4 in the first 800 miles. I will also never run a bias tire again. I have not ran them for 15 years.

Greenball, Maxxis, and Gladiator have been good to me. Keep them inflated properly and balance the tires. Most do not do this but it makes a difference, I dont give a **** what the tire guy says, and they will last 5 years. After that you are playing with a live bomb due to dry rot.

Also, the best thing you can do for a trailer that sits for more than a month at a time is jack it up and put it on stands. Flat spots kill tires quickly. Does not happen on cars and trucks just because they get moved.

Chris

/ looking to buy utility trailer #12  
I can honestly say I have had much better luck with certian brands of trailer tires then others. You could not give me a Goodyear or Carlisle. I will never run them again. Got stupid this spring with Goodyears again and blew 2 of the 4 in the first 800 miles. I will also never run a bias tire again. I have not ran them for 15 years.

Put new Goodyear Marathons on my boat trailer this year but it was a have to case. My next set on this trailer will probably be car tires as it's a flat bottomed boat and I don't think weight will ever be an issue!

Greenball, Maxxis, and Gladiator have been good to me. Keep them inflated properly and balance the tires. Most do not do this but it makes a difference, I dont give a **** what the tire guy says, and they will last 5 years. After that you are playing with a live bomb due to dry rot.

Never heard of Greenball or Gladiator. I did call a dealer today. He carried Goodride and Hercules (made by Cooper). I had never heard of these either.

Also, the best thing you can do for a trailer that sits for more than a month at a time is jack it up and put it on stands. Flat spots kill tires quickly. Does not happen on cars and trucks just because they get moved.
Chris
Don't know if a month will do it but I do believe they will flat spot or something happens internally but a month seems like a short time, but you might be right.

/ looking to buy utility trailer #13  
Put new Goodyear Marathons on my boat trailer this year but it was a have to case. My next set on this trailer will probably be car tires as it's a flat bottomed boat and I don't think weight will ever be an issue!

Never heard of Greenball or Gladiator. I did call a dealer today. He carried Goodride and Hercules (made by Cooper). I had never heard of these either.

Don't know if a month will do it but I do believe they will flat spot or something happens internally but a month seems like a short time, but you might be right.

Hercules and Gladiator are one in the same. Only complaint with them is they stink, literally. Not sure why but they do.

As for flat spotting I use all my trailers every week so I have no problems but when I put the 75 or so boats we take care of for the winter they all go on jack stands. Tire issues got cut by 2/3 when we took the time to put them on stands.

Chris

/ looking to buy utility trailer #14  
If your tires are going to be sitting for a long time then I like to put some armorall on them, just spray it on and let it soak in. I think it really helps keep the rubber from drying out.

/ looking to buy utility trailer #15  
Fellows don't get aggravated at what I'm saying.. . . We talk about car tires or automobile tires. Gentlemen in this classification of tire we include pickup trucks tires also. Many of these PU's have a GVWR of near that 7000 lbs on those "car tires"? Before you fire back at me too hard remember last nights deal and I realize it could have happened with car tires also. . . Fire away!

I can only speak for myself, but I used "CAR" tires in the generic sense. That includes light truck tires. Specifically, I was referring to the "load range" or maximum load rating of a tire. Most folks here still go by the old "Ply Rating" on tires. 4pr is a "car" tire or light truck; 6pr is a little heavier (that's what I ran on a 1/2 ton; 8pr was for medium duty trailers, etc; and 10pr (Load range E) was for 3/4 and 1 ton "real" trucks and heavy trailers. FWIW, I have 14pr tires on my fifth wheel camper trailer.

BTW, my cousin put 4 ply rating tires on a F250 diesel pickup, and they blew out too. (same guy that put 4pr "car" tires on his utility trailer) :mur:

I don't think anyone here is going to "Fire Away" at you. He asked for our opinions, and you gave yours. That's what a forum is about.

/ looking to buy utility trailer #16  
I can honestly say I have had much better luck with certian brands of trailer tires then others. You could not give me a Goodyear or Carlisle. I will never run them again. . . .

Same here. I've had very good service from Titan and TowMaster trailer tires.

/ looking to buy utility trailer #18  
Hercules and Gladiator are one in the same. Only complaint with them is they stink, literally. Not sure why but they do.

Stinky tire is a new one for me!

As for flat spotting I use all my trailers every week so I have no problems but when I put the 75 or so boats we take care of for the winter they all go on jack stands. Tire issues got cut by 2/3 when we took the time to put them on stands.

Chris

That's interesting.........what do ya think about just rolling them a fraction of a turn periodically?

Spoke with a trailer tire dealer yesterday about this trailer tire vs car tire. Lets for this conversation keep in mind load rating and compare apples to apples. He said of course use trailer tires on trailers. I asked about the full sized pickup truck with the GVWR's they have. Broken down they are carrying the same (aprox) weight per tire as a trailer staying within the limits of the trailer. He then used the reason as the trailer tire has a different sidewall than a vehicle tire. I responded that if they were both rated for the same weight and the major difference was the sidewall then the concern must be parking lot or close quarter cornering and not high speed or road related? He then threw out the blanket statement "I know what works for me". I almost took this as an I give up. He's a business friend and we get along well so no feeling were hurt, entirely friendly discussion. This could be a legal issue also as many things are nowadays. As Bill O'Reilly would say "What say You"?

/ looking to buy utility trailer #19  
Another issue beside the sidewall construction is a truck tire carries about 1/2 the weight 90% of the time. A trailer tire carries about 90% of the weight 90% of the time.

I have used truck tires and got no better results. I still had flats, ect.

Bottom line is trailer are just tough on tires. Only 3 things I have found that makes them last longer is Balancing them, Proper air pressure, and Keeping the weight off them when not in use.

I do not worry about my car hauler. Its about 1,400# empty with over 7,000# of tire capacity and its used every few weeks in the spring though summer. Maybe once or twice in the winter but the weight is not enough to flat spot them. A camper or boat is another story.

Chris

/ looking to buy utility trailer #20  
Another issue beside the sidewall construction is a truck tire carries about 1/2 the weight 90% of the time. A trailer tire carries about 90% of the weight 90% of the time.

I don't know any of my friends that do this 90% weight 90% of the the time. Most like me bought a trailer for more than they need most of the time just to be covered the few times they do need that extra.

I have used truck tires and got no better results. I still had flats, ect.

Bottom line is trailer are just tough on tires. Only 3 things I have found that makes them last longer is Balancing them, Proper air pressure, and Keeping the weight off them when not in use.

I do not worry about my car hauler. Its about 1,400# empty with over 7,000# of tire capacity and its used every few weeks in the spring though summer. Maybe once or twice in the winter but the weight is not enough to flat spot them. A camper or boat is another story.

Chris

I balance everything I put on a vehicle. I agree it pay dividens to do so. Air pressure???? Another can of worms ......who do you listen to the tire mfg. on the sidewall or trailer mfg.?