Looking to purchase 2006 John Deere X360

/ Looking to purchase 2006 John Deere X360 #1  

Kne

Tractor
John Deere X360
2006 John Deere X304 has 360 hours on it for $1500. 4 wheel steering. What are plus and minuses?

Last edited:
   / Looking to purchase 2006 John Deere X360
Correction: Looking at purchasing 2006 John Deere X304 (not X360 as previously posted) with 360 hours, for price of $1500.
4 wheel steering. Plusses and minuses, please.

/ Looking to purchase 2006 John Deere X360 #3  
Correction: Looking at purchasing 2006 John Deere X304 (not X360 as previously posted) with 360 hours, for price of $1500.
4 wheel steering. Plusses and minuses, please.

The X304 is an excellent machine IF:

You are not pulling a heavy load, such as a loaded lawn and garden cart
You are not mowing up steep hills.

The X304 has the weaker K46 transaxle in it.

Go to an X310 or 320 with the more robust K58 transaxle, unless you have a level flat yard.

Advantages - The X304 is really maneuverable with all wheel steer, but consider the X324 if you want to haul with it.

If you have a huge yard with a steep hills or use your lawn tractor as a work horse like I do, consider the X500 series tractors.

In MS, your hills should not be that steep and for $1500, that is not a bad price. Check out prices on machinerytrader.com

SC
SC

Thanks SC, I appreciate your expertise and feedback on my request for info. It is most helpful.
With 360 hours on the X304, what upcoming maintenance or repair issues am i facing?

Kne

/ Looking to purchase 2006 John Deere X360 #5  
Thanks SC, I appreciate your expertise and feedback on my request for info. It is most helpful.
With 360 hours on the X304, what upcoming maintenance or repair issues am i facing?

Kne

It really depends on how well the machine was maintained, whether the oil and filter was regularly changed, whether they kept the cooling fins clean while running, was it kept inside, etc.

It would cost you a bit up front, but you could get the machine into a shop and have them analyze the oil for shavings, water or gas in the oil, etc. The X300 series is the better line of lawn tractors, up from the LA series. I was told by a good friend who worked for Forks Equipment (since retired) that a lot of lawn service outfits really liked the X304's. The next step up in that line of all-wheel-drive is the X324. With any used piece of equipment, we are taking a chance. Since this is a recent model, you can still easily get parts for it and can look up the parts online at the JD web site. If you have a flat lawn and are not overheating the tranny up hills or hauling heavy loads, the machine should still have a lot of life in it if it has not been "abused".

Talk to one of the mechanics or sales people at the JD dealer on what to expect at 360 hours. You could also Google JDX304 Reviews ans see what you come up with

SC

Thanks for your help. Deeply appreciated.

Kne