Looking to purchase my first SCUT need advice

/ Looking to purchase my first SCUT need advice #1  

TigerDMD

Tractor
none
Hoping to get some recommendations from you guys. I read through lots of post on TBN and there was even one on these specific 2 models, but it was a little while back. I just closed on 17.5 acres that we will eventually build our house on. It will be a mix of lawn, fields and wooded (we have about 8 acres that are planted pines). Anyway, I'm looking at the Kubota BX25D-1 and the JD 1025R with factory FIL and BH. I was quoted 18850 for the Kubota and 22050 for the JD 1025R both with MMM. In person, the JD seems like a tractor vs. the kubota seems like a big riding mower. I should mention that my primary function is going to be mowing the lawn and other landscaping duties, etc. Major grading, clearing , etc will be done by the builder, etc. The only other factor is the JD dealer is about 15 mins away, the kubota is about 40 miles (no big deal though). My previous experience was my JD x320, so I'm familiar with JD somewhat, but not sure its worth 4K than the kubota.
Thanks for any input you can offer.

/ Looking to purchase my first SCUT need advice #2  
I don't know that much about the JD1025R, but I can tell you that the BX25 is NOT an overgrown lawnmower. It is a real tractor - a small one but a real tractor nonetheless - and you would be amazed at the work people do with them. The price quote you got seems pretty good to me on the BX25. I can't do a direct comparison between the two, but somebody would have to do some really fast talking to convince me to spend $4k more for the JD.

Also, the aftermarket is huge for the BX25. There are all sorts of useful farkles you can buy for it. That $4k difference would buy a lot of farkles and implements, such as a tiller, box blade, ratchet rake, etc.

/ Looking to purchase my first SCUT need advice #3  
I have both a JD for mowing and a BX for the heavy work. I am selling the JD.
BX is no slouch to work. Moves trees, brush and rocks without issues. Clears snow from 200ft of drive. Mows better than the JD so keeping the BX.

The BX is 12yrs old no and 1300+hrs without issues.

/ Looking to purchase my first SCUT need advice #4  
Hoping to get some recommendations from you guys. I read through lots of post on TBN and there was even one on these specific 2 models, but it was a little while back. I just closed on 17.5 acres that we will eventually build our house on. It will be a mix of lawn, fields and wooded (we have about 8 acres that are planted pines). Anyway, I'm looking at the Kubota BX25D-1 and the JD 1025R with factory FIL and BH.
Well the Kubota comes with a FEL and BH doesn't it? And didn't you mean a Front End Loader (FEL) with the JD not a Father-In-Law?

I was quoted 18850 for the Kubota and 22050 for the JD 1025R both with MMM. In person, the JD seems like a tractor vs. the kubota seems like a big riding mower. I should mention that my primary function is going to be mowing the lawn and other landscaping duties, etc. Major grading, clearing , etc will be done by the builder, etc. The only other factor is the JD dealer is about 15 mins away, the kubota is about 40 miles (no big deal though). My previous experience was my JD x320, so I'm familiar with JD somewhat, but not sure its worth 4K than the kubota.
Thanks for any input you can offer.
To me both seem like lawnmowers on steroids. That's why I started with a B7610.
If you've got 17.5 acre and 8 acres are pine plantation are you going to mow the other 9.5? For mowing a ZTR wins hands down, for going in the woods a B series Kubota (or equivalent in other brands) is better, with more clearance and capacity.

Seriously think of what you are going to be doing with the other 9.5 acres, that size is usually better served by a 30hp tractor with more ground clearance. And don't ignore other brands.

/ Looking to purchase my first SCUT need advice #5  
Before you buy a Kubota 'BX', 'B' or Deere equivalents take time to consider diameter of the front axle. It is spindly. All subcompacts have spindly front axles.

I would consider something in the Kubota 'L' series, such as the new L2501, which is free of all the Tier IV emissions complications, or Deere equivalents.

Common cost to have a tractor trailered for service is $1.50 per mile. So for Kubota service your TRANSPORTATION COST would be $1.50 X 40 X 4 = $240. Dealer proximity and dealer rapport are important.

Last edited:
   / Looking to purchase my first SCUT need advice #6  
We own a BX2200, 2660 and John Deere 2305. We loved the 1025 on paper and it has some nice features, but after looking at one, we prefer the BX even with its limitations.

A SCUT is in my opinion going to be a compromise due to poor ground clearance, but if mowing is your primary focus, it will be fine. If your work is pretty evenly divided, you might want to go up to a CUT. Read some old threads by bp fick and JOHNTHOMAS who have owned BX and B.

/ Looking to purchase my first SCUT need advice #7  
If you really think a SCUT is all you will EVER need, I would seriously consider one of these also as a compromise:

J2030H « LS Tractor USA

Mahindra Max This also has a comparison chart that compares your first choices, it looks like.

/ Looking to purchase my first SCUT need advice #8  
Kubota, all the way. Can't ignore the re sale price when you are ready to move on.

/ Looking to purchase my first SCUT need advice #9  
I would highly recommend you look at some other machines like the LS, Mahindra and Kioti before finalizing your decision. Many good brands out there and there are many reasons why one machine might fit you and your needs better than the next.

Don't be fooled by the resale story a machine like this will hold its value just as well from almost any brand. Think of it like this if it cost 3000 more to get in the first place having a 2000 dollar higher resale value means nothing later on, its just more money you cant do anything with now while you own the machine.

Also think if the other brands are offering more value for the dollar by offering more ability with more options now when new, the actual resale value of the said major 2 brands will hurt later on when folks realize that buying something else for less is going to be more cost effective later on also.
In simple words IF I chose a Mahindra over a JD now when new, what makes one think someone will not choose the Mahindra over the JD later on when they are used assuming they are both kept in good shape and have similar hours of usage.

/ Looking to purchase my first SCUT need advice #10  
Highly recommend the LS. It will have significantly better specs and capabilities for less money than a SCUT.

ForumRunner_20150425_220056.png

ForumRunner_20150425_220116.png