Buying Advice Looking to Purchase Our First Tractor

/ Looking to Purchase Our First Tractor #1  

Idahoagie

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5310HST Cab
We live on 26.5 acres in the Idaho Panhandle. About 5 acres from the road to the house is a sloped field that was let to go wild and weedy by the previous owner. All I've been able to do with it is rough cut it with a mower towed behind a borrowed tractor.
Starting at the house the trees start to get thicker and the last 20 acres is Idaho forest of Red Fir, Pine, Tamarack, Cedar and Aspen. This past summer we had the forest selectively thinned by a local logger.
Neighbors and friends have been great in bringing their tractors over, but it is time we had our own.
I've managed to get most of the trenching I needed done by others, so I'm thinking of holding off on the backhoe for now. (Yes, I know a backhoe has many more uses than trenching.:)) Here are some of the tasks I see us using this tractor for.

• The forest needs some serious cleanup. Loggers up here are not required to clean up all of the broken branches, short logs, and general garbage left behind. Plus, we experience a number of blown down trees every year. I'm thinking a grapple would be good for the initial cleanup as well as ongoing maintenance.
  • The loggers left over 100 stumps exposed. I'm looking at a 3PH stump grinder.
  • We may strike a deal with a local rancher to allow them to run a couple of head on the front field. This will require some work to get it ready for cattle.
  • Ongoing we will need to move dirt, gravel, mulch, etc. for maintenance and gardening.
  • We have found a lot of large rocks/boulders already. There are sure to be more that need to be moved.

I visited the local Kioti dealer (about 1 hour away, but he's the closest.) Great salesman that was willing to take the time and answer questions, ask questions, and offer some ideas. He recommended an NX4510HST. I am not looking at the cab model due to cost. As the salesman put it, "You can buy a lot of insulated coveralls for the cost of a cab." Also, I've been told that with a lot of forest work to do I'm asking to break a door. ($780 replacement cost plus labor)

He quoted me a price of $27,945. They fill the rear tires with beet juice and weld two hooks on the loader bucket on all their tractors. This is included in the price. Adding the 3rd function on the front for the grapple is an additional $1,100 and the grapple would be $2,895. I did not find out anything about the grapple mfg. The second set of rear remotes would add $650.

He specified the NX4510 due to its loader capacity. He felt moving large rocks/boulders, as well as the need to work in the sloped field, this was the tractor to go with. Especially if I decide to add the backhoe at a later date.

The dealer has been in business for about 18 years, has an extensive service department, a large inventory of parts and accessories (I looked) and a yard full of implements and attachments. They've been a Kioti dealer for about 10 years and according to this salesman, they are one of the top 5 dealers in the USA.

So how does this all sound to you guys? Is this a good fit for our first tractor? I know the general rule of always buy more than you think you'll need. I've used a couple of friends SCUT and CUT units and they just don't have the HP, weight, lift capacity, etc. that I think I am going to want. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Idahoagie

/ Looking to Purchase Our First Tractor #2  
Should be fine size wise and not a bad price either.

/ Looking to Purchase Our First Tractor #3  
   / Looking to Purchase Our First Tractor #4  
For as much land as you will be working and all of the chores plus snow removal, I would not want anything smaller than this and would suggest looking at the next size larger just so you know. Most people sell their tractors for one reason, bought to small for the tanks at hand so be sure of the size.
Agree with others, you should be able to get a better grapple for a better price as already suggested.

/ Looking to Purchase Our First Tractor #5  
We live on 26.5 acres in the Idaho Panhandle. About 5 acres from the road to the house is a sloped field that was let to go wild and weedy by the previous owner. All I've been able to do with it is rough cut it with a mower towed behind a borrowed tractor. Starting at the house the trees start to get thicker and the last 20 acres is Idaho forest of Red Fir, Pine, Tamarack, Cedar and Aspen.

He specified the NX4510 due to its loader capacity. He felt moving large rocks/boulders, as well as the need to work in the sloped field, this was the tractor to go with. Especially if I decide to add the backhoe at a later date.

Good dealer recommendation.

Speak to dealer about adding expanded steel to armor under the tractor. I used nine gauge expanded steel. Should be <$400 material and labor.

Last edited:
   / Looking to Purchase Our First Tractor #6  
I don't know anything about the Kioti brand but it sure sounds like you have found a good dealer. Brand is not so important these days but a good dealer is. I think that he is giving you sound advise for your needs.

/ Looking to Purchase Our First Tractor
Thank you, everybody, for the replies and advice. This is just what I was looking to learn here. I know your combined experience will by useful to us Noobs. I especially appreciate the advice on the Titan grapple. I had not run across that brand. I had been looking at Artilian and the EA Wicked lines, both of which are more in line with the $2,800 the dealer wants, but then tack on shipping, and sometimes only to a freight depot.

I will also look at the NX4510HST. Basically the same dimensions, with more Engine HP and PTO HP. Be interesting to see the price differences.

A neighbor is strongly pushing for me to include the backhoe upfront. He feels I'll get a lot of use out of it. But at $8,295 plus tax, not sure I want to put that out right now.

Thanks again. If anyone has any more comments, I certainly appreciate them.

Idahoagie

/ Looking to Purchase Our First Tractor #8  
As for a backhoe addition, that becomes a personal matter. That said, I see many neighbors that have purchased them thinking it would be used a lot only to see them stored and never come out. A lot of cost tied up in a backhoe unless you know you will use it. How about reallocating those funds to get the right tractor for your needs. BTW, I have a barn full of implements and use them all throughout the year. The most single valued implement is the grapple.

/ Looking to Purchase Our First Tractor #9  
Everything sounds good except that grapple price , That is very high, there are lots of grapples out there in the 12 to 15 hundred range..

/ Looking to Purchase Our First Tractor #10  
Howdy neighbor. I'm down SW of Spokane. Hope you are liking this snow. About the grapple. The prices you listed are right in line with what I paid. I have a Land Pride SGC1560 and WR Long 3rd function valve. Total package price - $4370. Quality doesn't come cheap. The dealer installed the control valve and all the plumbing and the grapple. I added the grapple six years ago. I've never gone back to the bucket - on the FEL.

I think you are VERY wise to hold off on the backhoe. Like JD 4520 says - its a H*LL of a price to pay for a single use and then storage. You can always rent a dedicated backhoe or have a contractor do the work.

Do yourself and your tractor a favor. Have your OEM grill guard modified - like I and many others have. Mine is expanded metal welded on the OEM guard.

I live on 80 acres and have a mile long gravel driveway. My 2009 Kubota M6040 with grapple and rear blade weighs - 10,100#.

A good heavy rear blade will serve you well. Driveway maintenance and snow removal. Some pics of my tractor and implements. IMG_0011.jpegIMG_0006.jpegIMG_0016.jpeg