Looking to upgrade to about 50 HP machine, engine displacement question

/ Looking to upgrade to about 50 HP machine, engine displacement question #1  

wreckedit

Tractor
Kubota L3130
Question for engine experts: I am looking to get a new 50 HP or so tractor. Have a good Kubota and another Kioti dealer near me. When I compare specs, the Kubota 50 HP engine in MX 5200 is about 148 cubic inches, while the Kioti DX 55 HP or so is about 114 cubic inches. Both are turbocharged. That seems like a big difference. Since the HP numbers are very similar, should I care about displacement? Absolutely positively do not want to compare brands, just the theory of displacement. I like both machines a lot.
Thanks.
Rich

/ Looking to upgrade to about 50 HP machine, engine displacement question #2  
I am no engine expert, but I would have to think the "smaller" engine is using every bit of its power, and likely working harder. I would wonder about an exhaust temperature comparison.

Last edited:
   / Looking to upgrade to about 50 HP machine, engine displacement question #3  
According to tractordata the MX5200 has a 2.4L 148.6 cu in engine.
The Kioti DK55 has a 2.2L 134.1 cu in engine not 114 you listed.
That's not so much difference. Proper tuning, fuel and air adjustment make them achieve similar HP.
I can only guess you meant DK55 instead of DX55.

/ Looking to upgrade to about 50 HP machine, engine displacement question
Hi I just read the NX specs, which is also a 55 HP kioti, and it said 111 cubic inches.
Am I reading something wrong?
This was from Kioti website, mayube an error?

/ Looking to upgrade to about 50 HP machine, engine displacement question #5  
An old racing saying is "There's no replacement for displacement".

That's not quite as true today. A lot of the HP is achieved with bolt ons such as turbos. It's also achieved in the heads/valving.

But with that said,,,,, I'm old school. I pay attention to displacement. There some pickup engines today that in their displacement would have barely pulled a Pinto 40 years ago. My pickup is 7.3L or 445 cubic inches. Makes me happy just saying it. :)

/ Looking to upgrade to about 50 HP machine, engine displacement question #6  
"Generally speaking", the diesel with more cubes will have better low end torque than the one with less CI... Even if both engines have equal torque at max rpm...

I like low end torque!

SR

/ Looking to upgrade to about 50 HP machine, engine displacement question #7  
Should also look at RPM they turn, you might find the smaller cu. in. has turn higher rpm to get the same hp.

/ Looking to upgrade to about 50 HP machine, engine displacement question #8  
Hi I just read the NX specs, which is also a 55 HP kioti, and it said 111 cubic inches.
Am I reading something wrong?
This was from Kioti website, mayube an error?

I didn't know you were comparing an NX 5510. Your 1st post said DX55 so I assumed you meant a DK55. There is no DX55 model.

/ Looking to upgrade to about 50 HP machine, engine displacement question #9  
"Generally speaking", the diesel with more cubes will have better low end torque than the one with less CI... Even if both engines have equal torque at max rpm...

I like low end torque!

SR

Should also look at RPM they turn, you might find the smaller cu. in. has turn higher rpm to get the same hp.
That's how the smaller Kubota engines turn out more HP than their bigger brethern.
A BX 2380 with 54.8 CI is rated for 23HP and 40 torque at 3200RPM, a B2301 with 61.1CI is rated for 22HP and 45.6 torque at 2800RPM.

Torque turns my wheels.

/ Looking to upgrade to about 50 HP machine, engine displacement question #10  
153.4 # ft. torque @ 1800 RPM for the 136 cu. in. Workmaster 60. 168.4 # ft. torque @ 1400 RPM for the 201 cu. in. Ford 4610 SU.
I own a Workmaster 50 and a 4610 SU.
The numbers show the difference in engine design and performance.
The Workmaster series has the same 136 cu. In. engine producing 50, 60, and 70 HP respectfully with torque values proportional to the HP output.