Tiller looks like my tiller has made a clod garden?

/ looks like my tiller has made a clod garden? #21  
Do a soil test before you add gypsum. If the soil is already alkaline you will compound the problem. Organic matter and lots of it is the best and most long term solution.

/ looks like my tiller has made a clod garden? #22  
There are a lot of good ideas to help remedy your soil problem.

Let me add another. A few years back, a nurseryman suggested that I use pelleted or granulated lime. The reason being is that it takes more time for the lime to release and help break down the clay.

From your descriptions and the pictures, you can count on taking a few years to get the soil into a good freeable form. Gather any organic matter and get it into your soil - grass cuttings, leaves, mushroom compost, any good manure (avoid horsie manure if possible - too many weed seeds).

We typically add whatever we can scrounge up in late summer and fall. Till it into the soil, sometime plant a good cover crop, and then turn it over in early spring. In our area (Western MD), I can usually get the first soil turn and tilling done in mid-March. This year.... yikes.... to much rain!!!

Terry

/ looks like my tiller has made a clod garden? #23  
Well, I see this as an expectation issue too, motomike. You are looking at a project which will take several years to resolve - AFTER a whole bunch of work. That is something that you should keep in your mind as you move forward.

The soil will need to be amended as everyone else has mentioned. It will need organic material, and it will also need sand. Depending on the current composition of what you have, you might need LARGE amounts of those things. And you might need to do that for several years. If you find out that you need to add 25% volume organic material this year, and then 25% organic material next year also, you might be looking at a huge amount of material that might not be readily available.

A second thing to consider is the amount of improvement that you will actually be able to achieve over time. When you till organic material into clay soil, the improvements will not go any lower into the ground other than how deep you till. If there is clay below that level, it won't magically transform into sandy loam. Whatever you grow in that field will find that clay, if their roots grow that deep. Some plants will complain once they meet the clay. Other plants will 'avoid the issue' by having the roots spread above the clay line. Other plants will have their roots bore through the clay just fine. Depends on the plant.

So just in terms of figuring out how much time and materials and effort will go into this, you might want to think about these aspects. Not sure if you have any other options.

Good luck!

/ looks like my tiller has made a clod garden? #24  
Mike, just a thought, what kind of shape are your tiller tines in? I have heard of badly worn tines doing that. Someone posted that their tines were straight, not knowing they should be "L" shaped or curved.

/ looks like my tiller has made a clod garden? #25  
Darren:

Our "Farm" is on a slate based drumlin. Multiple tillings and winter rye and buckwheat have done wonders. Now for the rocks.

If its clay vegetable matter has to be added to get it into a workable state.

Egon

/ looks like my tiller has made a clod garden?
Re: Looks Like i hit the jackpot.

I found a ton of good info on this link...

I think if it ever dries out i can get it straightened out. yap another 2 inches this weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/Crops/00519.html