Looks like the Kukje twins need their own forum...

/ Looks like the Kukje twins need their own forum... #21  
Re: Looks like the Kukje twins need their own foru

Probably the mountain you are seeing is Little House Mountain, right next to Big House Mountain, just out side of Lexington. "God doesn't make 'em any better, and that's a fact." Here I'm taking this quote from a civil war general out of context but I think it fits Lexington, as well as most land in Virginia. For anyone interested, this was said by Confederate General Armistead about Union General Hancock, right before he led his brigade to his death in Pickett's charge at Gettysburg.

/ Looks like the Kukje twins need their own forum...

hey 19th VA,

Glad to hear it is surviving so far. Get back to me with the progress after a couple of years. I still stand by my comments for longevity.

/ Looks like the Kukje twins need their own forum... #23  

I guess I missed that about the tractor/cutter.

Woodbeef, Help me as I'm still on the hunt for a cutter. A C-B larger frame (20 series Branson, 30 series Century will handle what size, type, class of bush hog? A Midwest series 30 like Jonathan's is best suited behind ????? CUT? Right now I'm leaning toards a 720 Brush Bull Woods for my 3045. I would think it about equivalant to his Midwest.
Thanks
Pacesetter

/ Looks like the Kukje twins need their own forum... #24  

Will do.

Hey Pacesetter,

I do believe the thgread in question was on Todays Tractors at YTmag.

OK I'll try and take a stab at this. After last week-ends tractor demoing at the neighbor's with a NH TC40D and a BrushBull 720 I came away thinking this is way too much for the NH to handle for very long. I'm thinking the 72 would be better suited for the max use of the tractor. Where as the 720 up for ag-utility tractors and larger not CUTs. So how does your tractor compare to the NH? Remember it is very easy to overwork any tractor no matter the size. It might not show up immediately,but sooner or later the dependability and longevity will suffer on an overworked tractor.

I'm not familiar with the Midwest brand. I went directly from the description provided of both the tractor and rotary cutter. From this I based my opinions compared to what I've already seen and experienced. The biggest question is..........will the tractor still adequately perform in the years to come without major repairs with this set-up or not?

/ Looks like the Kukje twins need their own forum... #26  

Woodbeef, I have about 7 PTO HP more and about 600 lbs more weight than a TC40D. I think Jonathan's tractor is heavier than a TC40 and has a few less HP. I guess I need to understand how the NH performed that made you think the 720 was too much. How would it perform differently if it was a BB72 on the back. I'm guessing it is in the weight of the 720 vs. 72. To me as long as the cutter is within the 3-PT lift capacity of the tractor and not so heavy that the front end gets light and the tractor had enough HP to turn the blades heavier is better. Cut thicker stuff and stand up better. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Just when I start to think I know, my newbe shows through.
Pacesetter

Hey Pacesetter,

The biggest draw back I see to CUTs is that they are not built for a steady diet of Utility tractor work,or implements. Just because you can lift it don't mean you can carry it and run with it!! In the long run it is like trying to tow 10,000lbs with a 4 banger Japanese truck vs a 1 ton big block truck from Detroit. yes the little guy might do it,but for how long,and how safely!! Where the CUTs come up lacking vs the ag-utility tyractors besides in weight is in torque. More torque is what keeps your tractor together,and just loafing vs, a lower torque engine that must constantly work at or near its limits to produce enough power.

The NH was sent out by the dealer. He said that the tractor has plenty of power and weight to run a BB720. Well I tried it myself,and I'll have to disagree with him on that one. I found that besides being underpowered,the tractor also was thrown around quite a bit by this rotary cutter in an uncut hay field from last year. The overall stresses from the running of the implement has to be taken into account,not just the weight of it vs. the tractor weight and hp.

How do the rotary cutters that the manufacturers sell compare to the aftermarket ones for weight and size?

/ Looks like the Kukje twins need their own forum... #28  

Woodbeef

<font color="blue"> "The biggest draw back I see to CUTs is that they are not built for a steady diet of Utility tractor work" </font>

I agree with you in concept with the following major exception. The vast majority of CUT customers are not farmers or continous users they are home owners. And they do not use them for continous utility tractor work. It is just like commerical mowers. A lawn maintenance contractor in one year puts on as many hours on his mower as a home owner may do in a life time. If the customer was to be brush hoging full time he would need to be much more conservitive with his choice of cutters. There fore they (the home owner/hobby farmer) can get away with using a heavier duty unit (within reason) without putting significant ware on his tractor. Don't get me wrong most if not all CUTs are comericial quality but they aren't purchased nor ment to be used as you would a farm utility tractor.
Chipperman

/ Looks like the Kukje twins need their own forum... #29  

<font color="blue"> The biggest draw back I see to CUTs is that they are not built for a steady diet of Utility tractor work,or implements. </font>
If they were built for such work, they'd be called Utility tractors. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You know guys.......it pretty well all comes down to the discussion I had with the neighbor. He wants a tractor that can cut his acre or so of lawn,knock down large areas of pasture with a 6' rotary cutter,move dirt and rocks,do other assorted jobs on his 200 acres of hills,trees,fields,swamps,streams,and ROCKS.............and most of all fit in his garage at the same time.

Now he has owned other tractors before. Most recently a Case 580C TLB,MH 30 Standard,and a Stery 8080a. All were too big to be put inside one of his buildings.

So in the long run I told him there is no perfect tractor for his needs!! He must compromise somewhere..........but just where only he knows.