loose center pin on 422

/ loose center pin on 422 #1  

johara1

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ventrac 4500P
i noticed a lot of movement in the center pin area i checked bottom one and it was tight(1 13/16). so went to the top both were loose, so i tighten them. i still had some play in the front.
i put the jack under the back and tear it all apart, i found a very small amount of play in the top bar ball ends.not enough to get what i was feeling.so i reassemble everthing and draw it as tight as i can with a breaker bar, and again it's loose!
i now find the bolts are tight, but you can turn them with your fingers! the threads are bottomed out. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif so i add a 3/4" washer,now draw them up,now it's tight /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
i called terry and told him ,now you. check it out /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ loose center pin on 422 #2  
Hmm. So do you think it is worn or do you think the original bolt didn't have enough thread? Or maybe a little bit of both? I'll have to check mine when it gets a bit warmer.

Oh yeah, how many hours does yours have?

/ loose center pin on 422 #3  
Johara1,

Did you add the washer to the top joint? Did Terry indicate how much play is acceptable. I assume some clearance is require!

Duane

/ loose center pin on 422
duane&mr, allways put the washer between the nut and the frame.the only play that should be noticeable should be between in the ball joint itself.
the problem is they use bolts not pins, bolts are undersized,they are made to give clearance.when you draw the nut tight,you elimate the loose fit of the bolt in the ball.
now the best part, i would spay these joints also!!! the grease fitting DOES NOT grease the inside of the ball!!!!! what it does do is grease between the bolt and the ball! they have two grooves ground in the edge of the ball to let the grease come out and run down the outside of the ball. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif make sure you install these grooves up if you remove the bar /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ loose center pin on 422 #5  
Every machine is checked out, before leaving pt by a service team. this service team is terry's and the lead mechanic is Eddie. i don't think that the boss's former hanger machine had any loose joint's. Ed does not tolerate such sloppiness!

if you take all the play out of these links you are messing around with the oscillation, That which makes this machine different from the skidsteer and lawntractor ability to adapt to uneven terrain. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

i would be very, very careful making these adjustments!

now lets get this matter out in the open, it did have loose bolts and i don't know who checked it out ! i got almost two turns on the nuts thats how i found that i still had the play in them.they bottomed out on the threads,so i added the washers. that made it tight,and i called terry to tell what i done.he told me they should have been on there.
it had a corrosion on the + battery terminal, and low on oil in hyd. tank. on top of that i'm sending all the tools back i found in the machine!

/ loose center pin on 422 #7  
/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Tools found in the machine! Uh oh. Well, glad you conferred with PT about the loose bolts and found a solution. Didn't you mention that you purchased this through a second party, not PT? If it was purchased through PT, they should have seen these items, IMHO. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ loose center pin on 422 #8  
johara1

I've noticed the same “play” on my tractor. Since these tractors are hand built, its easy to see how this could happen. If the two pieces of metal that the bolt runs through are welded too close together, then the threads could bottom out. I bet I have the same problem. Did you use just one washer? And did you put it under the nut?

Thanks for the tip.

mr,
this was sold as new,they have there own planes. this was in the service area when i was there the first time.
i call after i fixed it, thats how i found out it was to have a washer under the nut.
these bolts are to be checked, if they come loose and you dont catch it in time,the holes the bolts go through get egg shaped.... get your welder or big$$$$ /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

marrt,
the bolts on the top bar will not draw tight without a washer under the nut. they will feel like they are tight but nut is at the end of the thread.
they may just be loose in your case,to check this put on the bucket .put on the ground and just ever so slightly raise and lower it to put weight on and off the machine.take the panels off so you can watch the front ball,if you see movement other than the ball joint it's self.i could see the bolt move thats how loose they were. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif