3-Point Hitch Lost 3 point pin

/ Lost 3 point pin #1  

rvtech

Gold Member
Tractor
2006 John Deere 2305
I lost an upper 3 point hitch pin yesterday from my 2305. I had removed the 3 point for the backhoe attachment. A ring clip similar to a key ring came with the Woods kit to replace the cotter pins so the 3 point can be removed and reinstalled without dealing with cotter pins. Apparently the key ring retainer isn't going to work. While mowing, my 3 point arm fell down and stopped me while backing. The wife and I looked for the lost pin for 2 hours with no success. I went to the dealer this morning. As I suspected there is a problem with getting a pin. The parts breakdown does not list the pin seperate. I comes with the entire 3 point assembly /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I would certainly like to have the correct pin without buying an entire assembly and not have to use something that isn't made for it. Not a big deal, just an annoyance.

/ Lost 3 point pin #2  
rvtech:

Same thing happened to me last fall. I bought a universal clevis pin at a hardware store of the proper diameter. Universal means it has multiple holes. I cut it down to the needed length and ground a flat side on it so it fit exactly like the original. Different color though... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I tried to order one at the dealer but unless they were mistaken I couldn't just order the clevis pin.

I also put hitch pins instead of the ring clips to avoid it happening again. Same thing happened to my mower lift arm (The ring came out).

In a pinch a correct diameter bolt (Ideally with a shoulder) would work.

/ Lost 3 point pin #3  
I'm not sure, but I would think you can go to TSC and get one, that will fit. They have most things like that you run into. Deere has a poor way of dealing with their customers, in my opinion. There is a lot of things you can buy at TSC, cheap, that Deere charges a high price for, and probably not one bit better. I'd sure give them a try first thing.

/ Lost 3 point pin
I agree. Being in the service business, I always try to get the proper parts to make the repair "correct". I realize there won't be any problem finding a "universal" pin and making it fit. I don't like the way Deere sells parts either. They are similar to Ford. Ford makes you buy entire assemblies instead of the individual parts needed. That's one of the reasons repairs are so expensive. Also a reason I don't like Fords. Car and truck parts I know, tractor parts I don't, but I'm learning. This is an item on my negative list for Deere /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
So far the positive list is much longer than the negative /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IMHO, Deere needs to have their parts look up online. I can go to Yamaha and find the parts I need in a few seconds online. All I can find for Deere is basic filters and mower blades. Parts departments at dealers are busy and shouldn't have to waste time looking up a part when I know exactly what I need and they don't. I could have looked up this part myself and found it was not available, saving me a trip to the dealer, the part man's time looking for it and the time wasted trying to get across what I needed. We eventually ended up going to a new 2305 on the floor so I could show him the pin I need.

/ Lost 3 point pin #5  
Have you tried Deere parts online. The link is John Deere Parts

I have used it in the past and found it to be pretty good.

Doug

/ Lost 3 point pin
Thanks, I do see it there. I have not been able to find this site. I see the same thing I saw on the dealer's screen. The pin I need is not available without buying an entire assemby.
I'll keep the link for future use.

/ Lost 3 point pin #7  
A suggestion that might help you locate the lost pin depending on where it dropped.

Most roofers have a large magnetic roller they use to pick up nails when they are doing a job and they are pretty powerful and effective.

If you know one you may try to borrow it and work over the area you were operating in and get lucky.

John Deere re-uses many parts across different models and I would bet that these pins are the same for both the 2210 and the 2305.

The 2210 parts diagrams have the complete parts breakdown on the lift links. If these are the pins I'm thinking you are talking about (#7 or #14 on the 2210 diagram) they aren't cheap

M808000 PIN $15.75 ea for #7(top lift link pin)
M808003 PIN $7.75 ea for #14(bottom lift link pin)

These things must be 24k Gold Plated

Hope this helps, Good Luck

/ Lost 3 point pin
The magnet is a good idea. I don't have one but someone close by might. I looked up the 2210 pin and it looks like it could be the same. If it is, why wouldn't it be listed under the 2305? It costs $15.75. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I would still rather have it than modifying one from TSC. Does anyone know if it's the same?
Thanks

It is gold colored /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Lost 3 point pin #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It is gold colored )</font> Mabey somebody should tell them that Zinc Chromate really isn't true gold plating.

The price is sickening especially when I think about the 3 new Cat 1 pins I put on my 4' box scraper to replace the Cat 0 pins cost me less than $7 at the Deere dealer last week and that was including 3 hitch pins to go with them. BTW they are gold colored too.

I tried to look up the specs but they don't show the dimensions on these pins like the do alot of items. Mabey someone here can grab a mic and measure their 2210 pin

I did do a search and that top pin part #M808000 is the same pin used on the 2210, 2520, 4010, 4100, 4110 and 4115. Probably goes on a few others too.

I would call the dealer to see if it is a normal stock item that they carry.

/ Lost 3 point pin #10  
You should go look at the ones at TSC, as I don't think you would have to modify them in any way. Fact is, I doubt if you can tell any difference in theirs and Deeres. Except in the price. One can get hung up on name, when it really doesn't matter in most cases.