Lost all hydraulics today 1538

/ Lost all hydraulics today 1538 #1  

metalcaster

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1538
As the title states, all hydraulic functions have ceased. Wife was using the loader to get some mulch while I was taking a nap. Came in and stated she broke the tractor. I can't imagine that anything she would do would be asking more of the rig than I have asked of it. 1200 hours on it and fluids changed according to factory recommendations. No power steering, no HST, no loader movement except down, fluid on the dipstick as it should be, maybe a few bubbles but the light was poor.
My thoughts so far without opening anything up: This was a sudden event, she had run it only about 20 minutes and it operated fine yesterday when I was moving a round bale. I would think that if it were the pump failing, that it would be gradual, unless there is a gear or key failure in the pump drive line. Maybe something has plugged the inlet side of the system? I may try replacing the suction side filter first? Thoughts?

/ Lost all hydraulics today 1538 #2  
Agree with your assessments. For it to be so sudden, has to be a significant event (not necessarily complicated or expensive). Did the wife say anything about it acting up when she was using it? Slow? Jerky, etc?

My first thought was a blown line, or connection which would cause a loss of all pressure. If your model (I'm not familiar with it) has a cable controlled control valve from your joystick, could one of the cables come loose? Or break?

Or the 2nd thing I thought of is that maybe your control valve is plugged.

FWIW, look for the "easy" stuff first. If that fails, I'd start at the pump and work my way back to diagnose loss of pressure.

Just my 2¢.

/ Lost all hydraulics today 1538
I am 75 hours inside of recommended hydraulic filter and oil change. Removed the pump and the inside drive splines are gone. Now to see if that drive gear is available or how that drive gear is made. It will require pulling everything off the front to open and remove.

Part is "sold out" per 2 dealers when checking Mahindra's inventory. One of the dealers I checked with was Bill's Tractor. According to the parts person I talked to: "we have never sold one of these." It is called the gear-hydraulic - part # 006005024D1 if anyone may happen to have one lying about. If I am lucky the gear is cut straight and I can just flip it over and used the undamaged portion of the internal spline. The bearings on the ends of the gear are the same. Otherwise I may have to machine some other type of fitment for the pump to gear. That would require disassembly of the pump so that I can turn the shaft down and weld on an extension(?), bore out the gear and broach multiple keys?
IMG_8467.JPEG

Went to the nearest dealer today with gear and pump in hand. ALL the parts necessary to reassemble this to really fix the issue are "out of stock". I placed an order anyway. In the time between now and whenever the parts are available I will be able to swap the worn gear around and operate it that way. The bearings are identical and the gear is symmetrical. Discussed this option with the mechanic and service manager and both agreed it was a viable option. Hopefully it will work until the parts arrive or Jesus returns. There was a lot of rusty dust in the open end of that coupling when I opened it up so that it wasn't a catastrophic failure, but one that had been building for a while. Photo below is the same regardless the way I slip the gear on. It meshes with crank gearing either way as well. I will lubricate the splines when I assemble, maybe that will mitigate the wear.
IMG_8490.JPEG

Last edited:
   / Lost all hydraulics today 1538 #6  
Put some good moly grease on those splines before assembly. Under certain conditions fretting occurs which is a fancy word for the splines disintegrate the moly grease will slow this down.

/ Lost all hydraulics today 1538 #7  
After losing two pumps within a year and then reading up on moist and the problem with hydraulic systems I don't follow Mahindra schedule anymore. The problem I see is a tractor might have short work time and even longer sitting . Normally not going to run long enough to remove any moist in the oil, that why you found the rust. You need to change oil more often, cheaper than buying pumps.

After losing two pumps within a year and then reading up on moist and the problem with hydraulic systems I don't follow Mahindra schedule anymore. The problem I see is a tractor might have short work time and even longer sitting . Normally not going to run long enough to remove any moist in the oil, that why you found the rust. You need to change oil more often, cheaper than buying pumps.
There is no oil bath in the spline of the pump and gear, so changing the oil would not make a difference in this case. In the future I will be opening the cover over the hydraulic drive gear annually and check and lubricate.

I posted an inquiry on "X" to @Mahindrausa asking about the supply of parts and was able to get some movement. i was told a pump would be in Houston by December 4 and then shipped after quality check. Did not say anything about the front cover gasket or drive gear.

/ Lost all hydraulics today 1538 #10  
metalcaster, I opened up the cover and pulled the pump out a little way on my 2538. The splines looked fine and everything was coated with engine oil. Makes me wonder if on your engine a manufacturing process that would have kept the splines oiled was overlooked which is why you found your pump splines the way you did. It is only one data point but maybe you could bring that up to your dealer and Mahindra.