Lost brakes on 2018 1025R John Deere

/ Lost brakes on 2018 1025R John Deere #1  

SteveYardworker

Tractor
John Deere1025R
Is there a problem with John Deere brakes. I lost the brakes after only 70 hours on my 1025R tractor. Repair was expensive as they had to replace a metal
lever they said. However when i asked to see it , it had been thrown away. Is this a common issue?

/ Lost brakes on 2018 1025R John Deere #2  
Welcome to TBN

Not heard of the brakes to be a problem with any model in just a few hours.
What was the tractor being used for during that 70 hours? Being HST tranny, seems brakes would not be in use very often, except for sharp turning.

/ Lost brakes on 2018 1025R John Deere #3  
Never heard of anything like this before. Don't worry about it. Just be glad that it was covered by warranty.

I don't think the 1025R has brakes that are independent for each rear wheel, so not helpful for turning. Correct me if I'm wrong.

/ Lost brakes on 2018 1025R John Deere #4  
Dan
You are correct. I thought the 1025R was more of a real tractor. My bad.

/ Lost brakes on 2018 1025R John Deere
The Brakes are not covered under warranty after 2 years. The part that caused the problem was a metal lever that mechanically connected the pedal to the wheels. They took off the cover and found a broken metal connection. I called it a lever for lack of its technical term. 550.00 repair costs.

Welcome to TBN

What was the tractor being used for during that 70 hours? Being HST tranny, seems brakes would not be in use very often, except for sharp turning.
I bought the tractor when I retired to do lots of yard work on my 3/4 acre yard. So far i installed a retaining wall, firepit, removed over 20 stumps and moved mulch around. So very little hours. But its saved my back alot. I move alot of wood around in tight spaces.
I think the metal part that broke was just poorly made. My brother bought a Kubota and has over 200 hours on his without any trouble.

Welcome to TBN

The tranny is how i was able to stop before i crashed through my shed door completely. But the brakes are still needed as you can gather speed on hills quite quickly. lol

/ Lost brakes on 2018 1025R John Deere #8  
Puzzling comment about gathering speed, because my tractors with HST tranny do not require using the brakes and will not gather speed going down hills.

However, if the rear wheels lose traction and start to slide, that is a different story and more weight is needed to hold that traction. Applying brakes doesn't stop the slippage. And may lead to panic attempts to stop which doesn't help either and may just lead to broken linkage. Something to take into consideration in the future.

/ Lost brakes on 2018 1025R John Deere #9  
The brake disks are "wet" and are inside the transaxle so the repair would be pricy. This site talked about a broken lever that is hard to get at too. BTW...The shop should always keep the parts for the customer.

1025r brakes

/ Lost brakes on 2018 1025R John Deere #10  
Agree it is a weak part but no way a dealer can keep all the parts for a customer.. no way. JD should be sending out a fix, and maybe already has done that. Takes a good service manager to look up all the available fixes as they are busy keeping the service shops staffed and abreast of the ag farmers active planting and harvesting crops. Our 1025R models are not hot items in the whole scheme of things.. unfortunately due to paying so many potential workers to "not have to work" these days. IMO