Lost chimney brush in flue solution

/ Lost chimney brush in flue solution #12  
Good Evenin LBrown,
Or we could lower that white little fur ball pictured down the flue also to retrieve, although it wouldnt come back out white..;)

Sorry, couldnt resist ! :)

Hi scotty,

ya know at one time chimney sweeps would use a live goose to clean flues, probably mostly in Europe.

Tie a rope around it's neck and throw him down, the panicking goose would flap it's wings frantically, cleaning the passage.

Pretty cruel, not sure how long the poor goose would last in that role.

JB

/ Lost chimney brush in flue solution #14  
This is getting off the response subject, but not as badly as sending the dog down the flue Scotty, anyway a couple years ago I got this expanding chimney cleaner with a rope tied to the top ring. The method of using it was to drop it down the chimney and then when you started pulling it back out the unit expands and scrapes the side of the chimney. Well it worked great for about ten pulls, by this time I am about fifteen feet down the chimney and when I pull the knot tie the rope to the rig comes on done.

So I call a close friend and fire chief of our local volunteer fire department and ask him what to do. His response was "be right over" next thing I know here comes a full line of cars and two fire trucks. Ladders out and about 7 guys on the roof. They dropped a chain with a rope tied to it and the chain worked it's self beneath the scraper and then they went into the clean out and attached a hook that caught the item and with two or three guys pull the darn thing out. It went immediately into the pile going to the dump. Yep there was a fire in the wood stove so it had to come out.

With that in mind one of the guys told me about this place in Maine that makes a stainless steel cable uint that is installed into the chimney and you can crank a brush up and down without climbing on the roof. Haven't bought one yet but here is the link to the place, tell me what you think?

Swift Chimney Cleaner - Why Risk A Chimney Fire?

/ Lost chimney brush in flue solution #15  
At one tyme they may have sent small lads up the chimney??:

(Chimney sweep - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yup, Brutal conditions, child slavery was common in England up to the mid 1800's.

Have to try to imagine how important that fireplace and chimney were in the 16th to the 19th centuries. Life literally revolved and evolved around them.

JB

/ Lost chimney brush in flue solution #16  
If anybody is looking for a good chimney brush, have a look at the sooteater SootEater

I have one and its great. You can clean from inside the house. Youll find yourself cleaning much more often do to the ease of use. (i clean mine in much less than an hour). it does a decent job and the rods are flexable. I can clean the black pipe down to my stove which is around a 90*. Price is less than $100

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulrEYBKsHKc]Gardus: SootEater Chimney Cleaning System---Purchase At SteamBrite.com - YouTube[/ame]