Oil & Fuel Lost dipstick plug

/ Lost dipstick plug #1  

E/S

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540HDC12-1 4x4 w/ Cab
I developed a oil leak on my M8540 today.
After a lot of cleaning and searching I discovered I lost the plug out of the block for the right side dipstick option.
any idea of size or options to plug this hole with out waiting on special order parts ?
Thanks
E/S

/ Lost dipstick plug #2  
E/S - - a picture or two would sure help a lot.

/ Lost dipstick plug
I got a couple of pictures just now, one is the area & the other is a close up shot of the hole with duct tape over it. Sorry for the tape, it decided to rain. KIMG0310.jpgKIMG0312.jpg

/ Lost dipstick plug #4  
Go to the local hardware store or such, like Menards or Lowe’s even, Get a expandable rubber plug or well nut. Use a drill bit or such to get a rough hole size measurement to give you a idea of the plug size.IMG_0336.JPGIMG_0337.JPGIMG_0338.JPG

/ Lost dipstick plug #6  
A tight fitting well nut would make a decent permanent repair, IMO.

I agree with the previous writer that this would solve the problem but then the other problem is "how much oil do you have in the engine?"

If it were me I would order a replacement dipstick right away. You don't if you lost oil or not?

/ Lost dipstick plug #7  
I agree with the previous writer that this would solve the problem but then the other problem is "how much oil do you have in the engine?"

If it were me I would order a replacement dipstick right away. You don't if you lost oil or not?

To my understanding, I don't think he lost the dipstick. The plugged hole was for an alternate location of the dipstick, probably for a different tractor model.

/ Lost dipstick plug #8  
best news for the op is that he located the problem in good time & posted @ the right place for solution as noted above
wonder how that item got lost? hope not blow by
good work

/ Lost dipstick plug
Thanks for all the input.
I didn't lose the dipstick, this is an alternate location.
While I like the well nut idea, the hole is approximately 1/2 in. At that size and location I'm worried about the shaft on the well nut breaking and dropping into the oil.
I don't know how it got away, I do know there is normal crankcase presser and the engine has 1200 hrs. on it.
I have decided to insert a snug fitting bolt into the hole and JB Weld it in. I will first rough up the hole, then clean it. I think this is the best way to make a permanent fix without tapping the hole.
Any thoughts on this ?
E/S

/ Lost dipstick plug #10  
I wouldn't worry about the well nut coming apart, but your fix sounds fine to me.

Doug in SW IA