Lost Hydraulics, pump?

/ Lost Hydraulics, pump? #1  

JimME

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4300DT
I have a 2001 L4300DT which has been extremely reliable. Until today.

Started the tractor and had no hydraulics for the loader, 3 pt, PTO, no power steering and the front wheels wont turn (think it's still in 4wd). Needless to say, I couldn't and didn't move the tractor, just shut it down.

Does this sound like a hydraulic pump? Tractor ran perfect on last use, approx. 3 weeks ago.

Thanks much,

Jim in Maine

/ Lost Hydraulics, pump? #2  
If the L4300 is anything like the L4200 you have 2 hydraulic pumps. One is dedicated to power steering.
I think you may have fluid flow issues. I see you are in cool country, could you nave water in the hydraulic fluid? It would settle to the bottom of the oil and become ice. Warm up the underside the best you can and retry. If there is water in it you need to change the filter and fluid.
Post back with what you find. KennyV.

/ Lost Hydraulics, pump?
Thanks Kenny for the reply.

The tractor is outside, and it has been below freezing so you may be on to something. Problem is, where the tractor is stored is nowhere near an electrical outlet. I wonder if I could rent a non-electric torpedo heater to try to warm it up?

Jim

/ Lost Hydraulics, pump? #4  
How about a kerosene wick heater? I have placed a Kerosun heater under my tractor with a tarp draped over it to create a warm area. PLEASE be careful and do not leave unattended. It only took a few moments for mine to warm up.

/ Lost Hydraulics, pump? #5  
I think you need electricity for torpedo heaters.
If you have a large propane IR heater or a few smaller camping torch bottle size IR heaters and can block the wind it will work. As mentioned the Kerosun heater should work also...
If you have ever thawed frozen water line you know It will take a bit to melt ice so be patient.
It is not nearly as much fun working in the cold as playing in the cold so be careful. KennyV.

/ Lost Hydraulics, pump? #6  
Double check the 3 point lever is not stuck in the up position (it has priory over any other hydraulic functions). I thought I had a bad loader valve because the loader would work some what and back hoe wouldn't work at all.

tommu56

/ Lost Hydraulics, pump?
It's 37 degrees today so I tried again and the hydraulics are working though a little jerky.

I got the tractor on the trailer and took it to the local dealer for fluid and filter changes. Oil and hydraulic.

Thanks for all the input!

They didn't quote me a price, but I'm prepared for sticker shock and am estimating $500.

Jim

/ Lost Hydraulics, pump? #8  
It's a lot cheaper to do it yourself! But pretty cold this time of year...

Water in the fluid is the biggest reason for changing the fluid out.

jb