Lost power on JD 4220

/ Lost power on JD 4220 #1  

Izzy

Tractor
JD 4210
Hoping some of you might be able to give some things to check or where to look for this problem with my JD4220 that I think is electrical. :confused:

I was using my JD4210 loader to move topsoil that I just had delivered. After moving about 4 buckets loads, my tractor just died, lost all electrical power. Really surprised me, everything just stopped! Turning the key does nothing, almost as if the battery is completely gone. I removed the battery terminals, cleaned everything, with a wire brush and some degreaser, re-attached, tightened, still nothing. I believe my battery is good according to my handheld meter, my battery acid tester and the old spark test against a ground. I check fuses, they all seem good. I get nothing at all when I turn the key, no lights, no solenoid click , no dash gauges even move or show any indication that there is any trace of power. :( Again, I was in-motion when it lost power at about 1500 rpm.

Does anyone have any thoughts about where I should begin to look?

Thanks for any help!

/ Lost power on JD 4220 #2  
check the main fuse if there is one

/ Lost power on JD 4220 #3  
With the key ON, do you have power in the fuse panel?

Also, follow the black ground wire from the battery down to the frame and make sure that connection is clean and tight. Then follow the red positive wire to the starter and check that end.

/ Lost power on JD 4220 #4  
Oh, and WELCOME to TBN:D

/ Lost power on JD 4220 #5  
Izzy said:
Hoping some of you might be able to give some things to check or where to look for this problem with my JD4220 that I think is electrical. :confused:

I was using my JD4210 loader to move topsoil that I just had delivered. After moving about 4 buckets loads, my tractor just died, lost all electrical power. Really surprised me, everything just stopped! Turning the key does nothing, almost as if the battery is completely gone. I removed the battery terminals, cleaned everything, with a wire brush and some degreaser, re-attached, tightened, still nothing. I believe my battery is good according to my handheld meter, my battery acid tester and the old spark test against a ground. I check fuses, they all seem good. I get nothing at all when I turn the key, no lights, no solenoid click , no dash gauges even move or show any indication that there is any trace of power. :( Again, I was in-motion when it lost power at about 1500 rpm.

Thanks for any help!

You must mean JD4210?
You started at the right place, the battery. Check for ground issue(s) and power at starter IF you have proved the battery to be good.
If have a repair/service manual find out where the main fuse or fuse link is. A cheap test light will be a big help!! If you haven't got a service manual........well, hopefully someone with the same/similar model will chime in...(see if a moderator will change title to reflect correct tractor model?)

And yes, welcome to TBN..

/ Lost power on JD 4220 #6  
Izzy said:

Thanks for any help!

Ok...I have a different color tractor, but I had an almost identical experience a couple weeks ago on my Kubota L5240 with about 20 hours on it. I was trucking across the field with a grapple full of brush, hit a bump, and it just died grave yard dead.

I knew it had to be electronic because of the way it happened. The display was saying the PTO was on, but I knew it wasn't, so I thought maybe the safety switch was stuck. I dissassembled and checked that first, but it was fine and activating/deactivating the switch didn't change a thing. The second thing I checked was the safety switch on the seat, but it was fine too. I then started checking fuses. As it turns out, the Key Stop fuse was blown. It was a 5 amp fuse, and as soon as I replaced it, all was good in the world again.

I guess when I hit that bump and jumped out of my seat a bit, it activated the safety switch on the seat and somehow caused the fuse to blow. Prior to that event, I had stood up to get a better view of the loader a time or two while the machine was barely moving and it would start to kill the engine so the switch was obviously working properly and doing its job. I guess the fuse blowing was just a fluke. Since I was in the middle of the woods about 500 miles from my dealer, I was very thankful that the fuse was the problem. There was even an extra on board so I didn't even have to make a trip to town! Which reminds me, I need to replace the extra in case it happens again! :D

I would recheck the fuses, and then check the safety switches (PTO, seat) to see if something is stuck. Hope this helps.:)

/ Lost power on JD 4220
Thanks! These are some good places for me to start. I値l give them a check tonight in the rain?asn稚 rained all summer, now that my tractor is outside and in need of some help?e have rain week?I知 not complaining though?ring it on! I値l post what I find after I check these suggestions. Thanks again to all of you who have given some thoughts.