Loud Engine Knocking

/ Loud Engine Knocking #11  
Olink, I copied this from another thread on setting the valves for a Ford tractor, but if you know the firing order, which may be marked somewhere on the engine or in a manual, you can try this: John
From TBN member Keoke </font><font color="blue" class="small">( New member, it takes 720 degrees of crank revolution to get all 4 cycles. So, go on and set cyl #1 valves with crank on timing mark. Mark sure #1 is on compression (both rockers loose) and not on exhaust since timing marks will line up for both compression and exhaust stroke. Then turn engine 240 degrees (720 deg /3 cyls=240 deg) and set next cyl in firing order and so on. Make sure to turn engine in the right direction.
To mark crank pulley with 240 deg spacing take a cloth measuing tape and measure total circumfance of crank pulley in inches. Then divide the total inches by 3 to get the 240 degree spacings. EG, a six inch pulley reading would have three marks 2 inches apart. One mark is the factory mark.
A good pair of machinist dividers will work here as well.
After setting valve lash you on each cyl you may want to rock the crank back and forth a little bit to make sure tappet was on the absolute heel of the cam lobe when you set that valve.
What you are looking for here is if the lash loosens up a bit from your inital setting. A professional mechanic is not going to take the time to get this exact. But hey, it's not his tractor.

George (keoke) )</font>

/ Loud Engine Knocking
NOw that's exactly what I needed. I used to setting the vlaves on VW's , so the process is clear...I just needed the 720 degree/divided by3. Now I know exactly why things seemed out of whack... I wasn't doing it correctly. Thanks BIG time for this... Now if I could just have my hyd problems solved! Think this will take a pump though??? Working in the rain...isn't it wonderful.... the other Florida sunshine! Oly