Lovejoy wear on my mower

/ Lovejoy wear on my mower #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
Well, so this has been going on for a while. A few years ago I was gone all summer and the neighbor kid got the fun filled job of mowing our 40 acres. But he did not no the quirks of the PT and missed the loose and vibrating mower motor.. I came back, saw it loose, noticed the rubber was shot on the lovejoy and didn't think anyting of it. Replaced the rubber and put the motor back on. 2 years later, lovejoy rubber has failed. Replace but do not inspect.

One year later (now) lovejoy rubber has failed, looked at it hard... Well @#)(W*%^)(* ! Just ordered two new lovejoys (cause you know they have different shaft sizes thank you PT).

Attachments

• IMG_2431.jpg
    IMG_2431.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_2432.jpg
    IMG_2432.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_2434.jpg
    IMG_2434.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 180
   / Lovejoy wear on my mower #2  
Well at the very least you can satisfy yourself that I learnt today what a Lovejoy coupling is.

I've never encountered them before but, man, I'm sure going to impress my neighbours when I drop this wee titbit of new-found knowledge into a conversation.

Ta Mate! :thumbsup:

/ Lovejoy wear on my mower #3  
Most lovejoy couplings fail due to misalignment or loose mounting bolts.

/ Lovejoy wear on my mower #4  
And when JJ says misalignment, he means microns. You need to get out there with your dial gauge and check, and check, and check again.

If they aren't aligned, they'll get chewed up pretty darn quick.

All the best,

Peter

/ Lovejoy wear on my mower
Yeah, I straightedge when I mount, but damage was done a while ago. just never caught it.

/ Lovejoy wear on my mower #6  
From Northern Tool, you can order the parts individually and get the sizes you need.

Ken

/ Lovejoy wear on my mower #7  
Well, I still am not sure just what a lovejoy is, but I don't think I own anything with one on it and by this talk, I do not want anything with one on it.

OK, I googled it and now I see what it is. I have had such flex couplers on pumps before and some motorcycles have a similar arrangement between the drive flange and wheel. I saw that Lovejoy is a company that makes a variety of these. I guess it is a good way of coupling vibration prone parts, just don't let the kids operate. LOL

prs

/ Lovejoy wear on my mower #8  
Maybe I'm just luck but I've pulled the lovejoy apart at least twice a year for 14 years and never thought about aligning it. I just bolt everything back together and it goes. With that said, though, I only use it maybe 10 hours per year... and break blade bolts about every 5 hours.