Low end lawn tractors

/ Low end lawn tractors #1  

cluelessinalabama

I have to keep the lawn tractor pricing around $1500.00. I have 3 to pick from at Lowes. That being said: Troy Super Bronco - steel front axle, kohler engine, no hydrostatic transmission, John Deere LA115 - Briggs and Straton engind, cast iron front axle, WITH a hydrostatic transmission, Husqvarna - Kohler engine, cast iron front axle, WITH a hydrostatic transmission.

I have little knowledge but believe the Troy is the worse. So is the John Deere with the Briggs & Straton better, or the Husqvarna with the Kohler?

Not a very exciting purchase. Land flat, 2 or less acres. I have fenced in more land for the horses. The John Deere has accessory options. Right now I have nothing POWERED to help with any of the horse chores.

THANKS!

/ Low end lawn tractors #2  
cluelessinalabama said:
around $1500.00. I have 3 to pick from at Lowes.
If your going to spend that kind of coin, I'd head for the dealer.
Wouldn't even mess with Lowes.

/ Low end lawn tractors #3  
I bought a JD L100, bottom of the line, cheapest tractor for our church a few years ago at a big AG John Deere dealer. I was treated well, as if I was buying a much bigger tractor. They set it up and delivered it for the included price. I even got a JD hat! The price was the SAME as Home Depot.

Go to a dealer. Even small lawn and garden dealers will give you better service than big box stores for this type of purchase.

/ Low end lawn tractors #4  
cluelessinalabama said:
I have to keep the lawn tractor pricing around $1500.00. I have 3 to pick from at Lowes. That being said: Troy Super Bronco - steel front axle, kohler engine, no hydrostatic transmission, John Deere LA115 - Briggs and Straton engind, cast iron front axle, WITH a hydrostatic transmission, Husqvarna - Kohler engine, cast iron front axle, WITH a hydrostatic transmission.

I have little knowledge but believe the Troy is the worse. So is the John Deere with the Briggs & Straton better, or the Husqvarna with the Kohler?

Not a very exciting purchase. Land flat, 2 or less acres. I have fenced in more land for the horses. The John Deere has accessory options. Right now I have nothing POWERED to help with any of the horse chores.

THANKS!
My mother-in-law needed a new lawn tractor. She went to Lowes and picked out the Husqvarna. So I went out to pick it up for her, and her neighbor that works there came over to load it. He told me that the husqvarnas sold at Lowes were almost always returned. I asked what he suggested, and he said people seem to be happy with the JD's. I'm no JD fan, but I took him at his word. He said that all he knows about them is that the husqvarnas are returned frequently, and not the JD's. He did suggest that the deck be coated with something before using it, because that's the first thing to rot away on these box store tractors. I had some industrial metal coating in my machine shed and put two coats on the underside of it. Seems OK so far. The one thing that her neighbor also said is that for anything over an acre or so, go with a Kubota. I know it's hard to spring for an extra 1200-1500 dollars, but they are much, much nicer mowers.
Best of luck, my friend,
Pat

/ Low end lawn tractors #5  
I agree that the Troy is less a machine than the other 2. As for which to pick from the Deere or the Husqvarna? Go sit on 'em, see which has the best leg room, best belly room from the steering wheel (if needed), easiest to get on and off of, comfy seat with the best back support, has the controls laid out best for you, and can be fitted with the attachments later that you might need. I'd also buy from a dealer instead of Lowe's, because the dealer has a vested interest in good service. Lowe's doesn't care about you 30 seconds after the purchase and will not fix or repair the machines, you will be sent to a dealer for that anyway, might as well start your relationship with him in the beginning. Example: Lowes used to sell Cub Cadet, when they discontinued the m, they purged the store of parts as well. If it don't make the designated profit, they get rid of it and too bad for the customers that thought they would be getting parts there.

/ Low end lawn tractors #6  
prices are the same on those low end JD tractors at the JD dealer as they are at bLowe's and Home Depot

go buy it at the dealer.

I have an L118 that's been ok and I do admit I abuse it.
nothing gone major wrong yet. (4 years)

/ Low end lawn tractors #7  
With a low budget, its hard to beat Sears when they have a sale. One thing about Sears, they will make sure to supply you with parts well into the future.

/ Low end lawn tractors #8  
Willl said:
If your going to spend that kind of coin, I'd head for the dealer.
Wouldn't even mess with Lowes.
DITTO,head for a local dealer who will give you service after the sale.coobie

/ Low end lawn tractors #9  
Don't buy the Husqvarna. I bought one from Lowes. The engine is okay and that's the best I can say about it.
As the folks on this board say, support your local dealer. I will the next time I buy.

BTW, are you any closer to buying a tractor yet?