Low Oil Pressure

/ Low Oil Pressure #11  
for 15 bucks you won't have to guess about a dodgy sender and electric gauge... just get a sunpro mechanical one and screw it right into the block like an old international harvester! Or T it off and then use the sender and a 'real' gauge in conjunction.

Soundguy

/ Low Oil Pressure #12  
Since the oil pressure drops at operating speed I think that it has something to do with the pump. A plugged oil filter would still let more oil pass at higher rpm. Bearings don't use much more oil at higher rpms than when sitting. So don't think that it is a bearing problem.

I suspect that it is a partially plugged inlet screen on the pump. As the pump tries to pump more oil the suction pressure drops. When this happens the pump will start to cavitate, and move less oil.

Possibly a good engine flush would be able to remove any sludge from the inlet screen. Not familiar with these tractors. Don't know how much work it is to pull the pan to look at the pump screen.

I would get a mechanical guage, and verify that the electronic guage is indicating the correct pressure. That the pressure is correct, or low. If it is actually low then I would have to check the pump inlet screen.

/ Low Oil Pressure
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> I suspect that it is a partially plugged inlet screen on the pump </font> )</font>

That sounds reasonable.

I've checked all the wiring I could get to on Sunday. When I go over to the farm later this week, I'll pull the dash to make sure everything is OK there. Next time I go to the "big city" I'll pick up a new sender and gauge just to eliminate those. Then I suppose I'll be left with the oil pump, either clearing the filter or replacing it.

Thanks for all your help and ideas. It's good to have a game plan.

/ Low Oil Pressure #14  
I have to go along with catmando. . . . my case DC had a similar indication, mechanical type gauge. At idle, would read 22 pounds, as I increased speed, pressure would increase slightly, then all of a sudden drop off to 18 pounds. If I dropped back to an idle, it would bounce back to 22. Turned out to be a clogged inlet screen. Oil pump would cavitate when it couldn't suck the oil up. I was able to remove mine and clean without removing the oil pan. Fixed the problem.