Low power, white smoke front of engine

/ Low power, white smoke front of engine #1  

ziggywiggy

Tractor
Yanmar 1500
Hi all, just wondering if I知 on the right track with solving this new issue with my tractor,

I was using my yanmar 1500 to do some brush hogging and it was losing power, running hotter than usual, and something sounded off and clunky so I turned it off and opened it up and white smoke was coming from the front of the engine. I couldn稚 tell where exactly and it wasn稚 heavy smoke but it kept smoking for several minutes. Today I was going to try and start it up but the decompression would not stick at all, I would pull the lever down and it would not lock in place. I noticed the fuel filter needs a change, could this be the culprit (or something worse due to waiting too long to change it?).

Thanks in advance.

/ Low power, white smoke front of engine #2  
Fuel filt. is definitely the first thing I would look at, change it...

SR

/ Low power, white smoke front of engine #3  
Was it REALLY white smoke at the front of your engine? Was it possibly steam and water vapor released from your overheated radiator? You can hope the over heating didn't do any permanent damage to the engine.

/ Low power, white smoke front of engine #4  
Have you checked your coolant level in overflow bottle and radiator?

I didn't think the decompression would lock? My thinking is you have to hold it. Might try to explain a little better for an old mind. :confused3:

/ Low power, white smoke front of engine #5  
If in brush my guess is coolant system was punctured losing coolant. But if not punctured a hose which would cost much less has failed but either way losing coolant and thus cooling ability and engine lost power due to overheating. As suggested first check your coolant level and be sure you do so in the radiator. If really low I would begin with water for really believe you will find a leak.

/ Low power, white smoke front of engine
sawyerrob, fuel filter ordered, and new bowl and o ring just to update it

Roadworthy, it very well could have been water vapor, we’ve had a lot of rain, but I didn’t think about it possibly being the radiator

Winston1, I will double check radiator when I go out to change the fuel filter I don’t know why I didn’t think that could be where the steam is coming from, also about the decompressor, I think lock is the wrong word, usually I press it down and it stays until I’ve cranked the engine then it snaps back into place, this time it was just loose

Kthompson, everything seems to be pointing to radiator and cooling system so I will see if the radiator needs to be topped up

Update:

Ok I changed the fuel filter/bled the screws and tried to run my tractor today. It makes a clunky noise at the front of the tractor and the fan spins a few seconds then stops and tractor shuts down.

The radiator is full to the brim. So I’m guessing this is something more internal.

I’m just a little frustrated because the engine was just rebuilt on this tractor so I’m wondering what could have gone wrong so quickly.

/ Low power, white smoke front of engine #8  
Might be a long shot but could it be the alternator bearings are locking up and the belt is slipping? Did the smoke have a certain smell like maybe 'electrical' or 'rubbery' or sweet like antifreeze or anything that might help diagnose it?

I didn’t really notice any smell to it. Nothing distinct.

/ Low power, white smoke front of engine #10  
Update:

Ok I changed the fuel filter/bled the screws and tried to run my tractor today. It makes a clunky noise at the front of the tractor and the fan spins a few seconds then stops and tractor shuts down.

The radiator is full to the brim. So I’m guessing this is something more internal.

I’m just a little frustrated because the engine was just rebuilt on this tractor so I’m wondering what could have gone wrong so quickly.

The tractor did crank and run but just a few seconds?? Have you tried coursing the source of the clunking? Have you tried turning the fan and alternator by hand??