Low Range for hst

/ Low Range for hst #2  
When working the machine....YES.

/ Low Range for hst #3  
Agreed.. Use your lowest range, UNLESS you cannot go as fast as you need to go, If so then shift up a range. It is just common sense. I cannot imaging why people put their hydros in HI range and just push on the pedal a bit to get the ground speed they need. It is just dumb. Why on earth would you make the system work into a heavy load like that with minimum oil flow to boot. Keep in mind that the range selector lever is controlling a conventional 2 or 3 speed standard gear transmission behind the hydro pump/motor combination. Thats right just an old "coffee grinder" gear transmission. So why in heck would you put the thing in 3rd gear and make everything upstream including the engine work harder than it needs too?

You know on your older pickup trucks or cars with "three on the tree" you could take off in 3rd gear if your rear end wasn't geared too high by really revving up the engine, slipping the clutch until it got rolling... BUT why would you want to do that?

/ Low Range for hst #4  
because people like to lug the crap out of the motor, they think because they are not revving the motor its better, when in fact its worse since the pumps are running slower and creating a ton of heat in the system, if your past half throttle and your not accelerating, your in the wrong gear

/ Low Range for hst #5  
Depends on the size of the machine and the type of work being done. Anything that works the drivetrain hard (ex: pulling heavy loads, serious FEL work, etc.), should be done in the lowest practical range. But there's no need to mow the field in low range, unless you're headed up a steep incline. For most chore work, the mid range on a 3 range setup is a good balance of decent speed and working power. High range is for road use only. Putt-putting around at low RPM (regardless of what range it's in), is not a good thing to do.

/ Low Range for hst #6  
I only use high for driving on the road. I have a 6 speed HST in my tractor. It is a huge improvement over a 3 speed.

/ Low Range for hst #7  
I have HI or LO. Its easy for me, work or ground speed.

/ Low Range for hst #8  
Lower the range more power and safer,more so when using front loader.

/ Low Range for hst #9  
Umm, why wouldn't you use the lowest gear possible. That is common sense. There is a reason there is a range transmission....otherwise what is the point, the manufacturer would just leave that out and charge the same $$$.

You get way better hydro response in lower ranges, especially for loader work.

/ Low Range for hst #10  
I only have hi/low and I mow in high. Even though I'm only going 3 to 5 mph, high has a much smoother role out at the turns. For loader and tiller work i'm always in low.