LPGS disapointment

/ LPGS disapointment #1  

orangeandgreen

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3240 JD 1025R
Last week, I purchased a 6' Howse brand dual edge grader (LPGS to everyone else). Put it to work for about a half hour as soon as I got it home, behind my L3240, in my driveway and access road. I was quite pleased with the job it did leveling and smoothing but wasn't so pleased when I unhooked it from the tractor. Both lower hitch pins were bent upward and forward by better than 5 degrees, and the 3/8 thick angle iron frame was clearly bent.
I took pictures and went back to my local dealer today to see how good the "1 year warranty" actually is.
Was told I must have been cutting too deep, I pointed out that the skids and non adjustable cutting edges control the depth.
Was told I must have been trying to move too much material, I pointed out that any excess material flows over the top of the cutting edges, by design.
I showed them pictures in the owners manual that had been reinforced in the area where mine bent and asked if they could get the updared parts for me under warranty.
They called Howse and confirmed that it wasn't a warranty issue.
Half hour use behind a tractor smaller than Howse recommends, doing what it is supposed to be designed for, and it bends and they won't take care of it.

Not impressed with my local dealer or Howse, and will make it a point not to bother either of them again.

/ LPGS disapointment #2  
Wow! That Sucks big time.

/ LPGS disapointment #3  
WOW! looking at their online catalogue, it certainly doesn't look very " Beefy" at the hook up points on that unit. I just purchased a 5" similar LP at an auction a couple of weeks ago I think it may be a Conterra, I hooked up to My 7060 Kubota to give it a try and made it about 10 feet before I spun out and had to engage the FWA it did pull it fine but I was totally surprised at how quickly it loaded up. Granted, it was in some deep relatively soft gravel about 8 inched deep . but just judging by how they load up under the right circumstances that picture on the Howse website certainly makes it look like that may be a weak link. I would have a welder spend some time beefing that up!! perhaps welding in another eye on each side and putting good heavy slide through pins to spread out the load across the front.

Cheers

Roger

/ LPGS disapointment #4  
My grader blade doesn't use the bolt on pins it has two bosses about 3 inches apart so you have support on both sides of pins. since it doesn't seem as your going to get any help from dealer I would suggest having it modified as was mentioned in previous post.

/ LPGS disapointment #5  
MAN!! That bites. I WILL NOT forget the product, by name, or the experiences you had with the manufacturer, under warrantee. Thank you for this information.

/ LPGS disapointment #6  
I had a similar experience with my first purchased new rear blade and landscape rake 10 years ago. Both units had structural failure immediately and I was told that I had abused them. :shocked: I told the dealer that I was using them behind the tractor that they had sold me and that those were the implements that they had recommended to me for that use. That was an $1800 lesson, can't trust the dealer to recommend the right implement or to stand behind what their recommendation was-is.

Experience, it's what you have right after you needed it. ;)

/ LPGS disapointment #7  
Experience, it's what you have right after you needed it.

That one is worth remembering. :thumbsup:

/ LPGS disapointment #8  
And how can he be cutting to deep if the skids have non adjustable cutting edges????

/ LPGS disapointment #9  
It sounds to me like a tractor dealer that is not familiar with the implements they sell. With that level of customer service, I would be shopping for an alternate dealer.

Jeff - the OP post indicates a Kubota L3240.

/ LPGS disapointment #10  
HOWSE 72" DUAL EDGE SCRAPER BLADE - $1105.00
Approximate Weight 552.0000
Working Width 72 inches
Side Plates 1/4 inch Thick, 13 inch Side Plates
Hitch Type Category 1
Cutting Edge 3/8 x 6 inch Reversible
Suggested Tractor HP 35 - 45 HP
Skid Shoes 1/2 x 2 inch Replaceable Skid Shoes
Approximate Weight 552
Warranty 1 Year Limited Warranty

I decline to buy implements with open/bolt-on draw pins. I only buy implements with two-ear clevis arrangement to accept each draw pin.

You are 100% correct that your L3240 is within the power parameter that Howse approves, in fact at the low end of Howse approved power range.

I own a Howse standard duty 16/18" Disc Harrow, with two-ear clevis hitches, which has been a good implement. Your experience will make me cautious before considering another Howse implement.

I hope you have a good welding shop nearby. A good welder will have LPGS repaired and reinforced in two hours, three hours max.

HOWSE 6' Dual Edge Grader Blade - Dual Edge Graders - Box Blades & Scrapers - Product Lines

Last edited: