LS MT225s - Switching from Backhoe to 3-pt hitch arms

/ LS MT225s - Switching from Backhoe to 3-pt hitch arms #1  

CUTiger85

Tractor
2023 LS MT225s
Looking to purchase an MT 225s. This will be the first tractor I have owned and my first experience with a small compact tractor (have always used my father-in-laws JD 5325 in the past). I will be purchasing with a backhoe but will also use a box blade and rotary tiller. What I am finding is that when switching from the backhoe to three point hitch, one of the rear tires must be removed that in order to install the shaft for the support for the arms. I am hoping that there is a workaround for this that someone has come up with, as I really like the tractor. Is this common for most smaller compact tractors to have to remove the wheel for this? I can't find anything online regarding this issue. The smaller MT125 does not seem to have to have the requirement for the tire to be removed, but I need a bigger tractor than a sub-compact.

/ LS MT225s - Switching from Backhoe to 3-pt hitch arms #2  
This seems bass ackwards; I looked into the MT225S, but not at the backhoe, so I can't help here.

We do have a number of 225S owners on here, I'm sure someone will be able to give you a hand.

/ LS MT225s - Switching from Backhoe to 3-pt hitch arms #3  
I have this model. You do not have to remove a rear wheel/tire. The 3 point bottom has a 2 piece shaft that slides out into the void created by the interior of the wheel. I can switch from backhoe to 3pt quick hitch in less than 10 minutes.

/ LS MT225s - Switching from Backhoe to 3-pt hitch arms
That sounds encouraging, BakoJ. However, the MT 225S that I was looking at had a single shaft for the attachment of the lower arms. There is hole in the backhoe frame (that remains when the backhoe is removed) for the shaft to slide in to towards the wheel but since it is a single long shaft it hits the wheel before it slides far enough to slide in to the hole in the lower arm support. Can you send a photo of your arrangement? I will try to get a photo of the one I am looking at. Many thanks!

/ LS MT225s - Switching from Backhoe to 3-pt hitch arms #5  
That sounds encouraging, BakoJ. However, the MT 225S that I was looking at had a single shaft for the attachment of the lower arms. There is hole in the backhoe frame (that remains when the backhoe is removed) for the shaft to slide in to towards the wheel but since it is a single long shaft it hits the wheel before it slides far enough to slide in to the hole in the lower arm support. Can you send a photo of your arrangement? I will try to get a photo of the one I am looking at. Many thanks!
I'll work on a video for you. It may be Wednesday or Thursday when I get a free day.

/ LS MT225s - Switching from Backhoe to 3-pt hitch arms #6  
Here is a video I made to show how you don't have to remove a wheel from this model tractor.

Please excuse my overgrown head. I need a haircut. I can almost braid it!

Last edited:
   / LS MT225s - Switching from Backhoe to 3-pt hitch arms
Awesome! Thank you for the video. I will have to take the wheel off to put the shaft in place (why it does not come that way from the factory is puzzling) but once it is in place I won’t have to remove it.

Thanks!

/ LS MT225s - Switching from Backhoe to 3-pt hitch arms #8  
Awesome! Thank you for the video. I will have to take the wheel off to put the shaft in place (why it does not come that way from the factory is puzzling) but once it is in place I won’t have to remove it.

Thanks!
That's strange. Mine was delivered with the shaft in place but my backhoe was also installed.

/ LS MT225s - Switching from Backhoe to 3-pt hitch arms #9  
Once that shaft is on you don't have to remove it again. Just remove pins and slide it back and forth to get the check chain barrels off. Hint- WD-40 on that shaft is your friend.

/ LS MT225s - Switching from Backhoe to 3-pt hitch arms #10  
I just joined TractorByNet so I could post a "Thank you all" for this post.
@BakoJ: Kudos to you for the video. Fantastic! I bought my MT2 25S back in October and I've been dreading doing this. You showed me how easy it really is. Thanks!
Mine also came without the shaft installed.:cautious:
Now, all I need is instructions on "How to jack my tractor". I can't find a word about it in the manual. If only there was a place like a "Forum" somewhere...;)