LS MT335 vs LSMT342

/ LS MT335 vs LSMT342 #1  

Exmasonite

Tractor
LS XR3135 HST
Hey guys. Looking for advice on tractor to buy.

Previously had an XR3135H that I really like but apparently exwife liked it more since she got it in the divorce.

So, onto my next property, looking to get another tractor. Very happy with the XR trim (adjustable 3pt hookups are a godsend and I won't live without).

I have narrowed it down to the MT335 (essentially same as my 3135 except no draft control I think?) vs the MT342. I don't have as much pasture to brush hog (hardly any actually), probably doing more loader work and grapple work as I chip away at the wooded portions of my new lot. Also plowing/scraping snow off drive. 10 acre lot, 150 foot drive.

I almost debated going smaller for the property but given my familiarity with the 35hp, wanted to stick with that so I wouldn't overextend a new machine. The 342 caught my eye as it's only $2500 more ($26295 vs $28,800).

It's the same engine between the 2. 342 is a heavier machine with heavier loader. Dimensions are pretty close to identical. I read that the 342 may have a rear control for 3 pt height which would be slick but not that vital to me.

So traditional wisdom always says go for the "biggest tractor you can get". My questions on that are twofold:

1) Is the extra 20% HP worth the $2500? Inclined to say yes...

2) On the flip side, is the 342 just a retuned engine and am I better off taking the 35hp? I haven't read a thing about the 335 on here... a few threads about some issues with the 342. (Based on this point, I am leaning towards taking the 35hp and saving the $$. Better have the same engine doing less work)

Overall I am 100% HOBBY farmer. Over 5 years, I put 320 hours on the last tractor and don't have nearly as much pasture to mow on this property (until I clear out the wooded acreage, maybe).

Thanks in advance.

/ LS MT335 vs LSMT342 #2  
Hey guys. Looking for advice on tractor to buy.

Previously had an XR3135H that I really like but apparently exwife liked it more since she got it in the divorce.

So, onto my next property, looking to get another tractor. Very happy with the XR trim (adjustable 3pt hookups are a godsend and I won't live without).

I have narrowed it down to the MT335 (essentially same as my 3135 except no draft control I think?) vs the MT342. I don't have as much pasture to brush hog (hardly any actually), probably doing more loader work and grapple work as I chip away at the wooded portions of my new lot. Also plowing/scraping snow off drive. 10 acre lot, 150 foot drive.

I almost debated going smaller for the property but given my familiarity with the 35hp, wanted to stick with that so I wouldn't overextend a new machine. The 342 caught my eye as it's only $2500 more ($26295 vs $28,800).

It's the same engine between the 2. 342 is a heavier machine with heavier loader. Dimensions are pretty close to identical. I read that the 342 may have a rear control for 3 pt height which would be slick but not that vital to me.

So traditional wisdom always says go for the "biggest tractor you can get". My questions on that are twofold:

1) Is the extra 20% HP worth the $2500? Inclined to say yes...

2) On the flip side, is the 342 just a retuned engine and am I better off taking the 35hp? I haven't read a thing about the 335 on here... a few threads about some issues with the 342. (Based on this point, I am leaning towards taking the 35hp and saving the $$. Better have the same engine doing less work)

Overall I am 100% HOBBY farmer. Over 5 years, I put 320 hours on the last tractor and don't have nearly as much pasture to mow on this property (until I clear out the wooded acreage, maybe).

Thanks in advance.
I have XR3135 with turbo it’s more than enough tractor for our farm. I optioned a BH with it. In fact I purchased MT225S just to mow with with mmm. It is more realistic for finish mowing and uses less diesel. For price and reliability LS provides value. No disappointments in either LS unit. One thing is for sure if you had blue then stay blue. Newer units even have more options than previous models. In six months when we are officially in recession your buying power should increase if you think more horsepower is needed.

/ LS MT335 vs LSMT342 #3  
I try to remember that there are examples of lower HP tractors doing more work than others due to their gearing, weight, or whatever. I think this is evident with the Kubota BX, B, LX, and L series all having a 25HP variant. No way can a BX do the work of an L as effieicntly. I would not make engine HP the primary concern, unless you need to run large mowers or complex implements.

/ LS MT335 vs LSMT342 #4  
To me, if you are considering the MT3 series, no point in going under 40 hp.
Might as well just save more money and get a MT240.
The MT335 and 340 hitch and loader capacities are about the same as the MT240.

dumbbell icon
LOADER LIFT CAPACITY 2,185 lbs.
tractor icon
HITCH LIFT 1,808 lbs.
lightning icon
ENGINE HP 40.0 HP

dumbbell icon
LOADER LIFT CAPACITY 2,153 lbs.
tractor icon
HITCH LIFT 1,808 lbs.
lightning icon
ENGINE HP 40.0 HP

/ LS MT335 vs LSMT342 #5  
one reason to consider mentioned already is frame size. if your primary application is loader work, horsepower is prob less a concern that overall weight and frame size... while the mt2 loader has baout the same capacity as the mt34x, the underlying frame is smaller and only has 1 steering cylinder (?), the mt3 is beefier and has 2. mt3 has bigger tires... just beware... even my local dealer didn't realize the mt335 is a smaller frame than the rest of the mt3 series...