LS vs Kubota vs Bobcat hydro "smoothness"

/ LS vs Kubota vs Bobcat hydro "smoothness" #1  

Bocephous

Gold Member
Tractor
LS 4047H
I have been shopping (and researching) for my 1st tractor for a few months now. During one week I test drove an LS 4041H, a Kubota L4240, and a Bobcat CT440. While the hydro's on both the Kubota and Bobcat were smooth the LS was very abrupt. In other words when first starting to move and when decelerating to a stop the LS was abrupt while the Kubota and Bobcat were much smoother. Is this the norm for all LS hydro tractors, and if so, is there a reason for it to be this way?

/ LS vs Kubota vs Bobcat hydro "smoothness" #2  
I'm subscribing from curiosity. Can't help you, but I've wondered about various HST trannies between manufacturers, too.

/ LS vs Kubota vs Bobcat hydro "smoothness" #3  
Just a quick remark about the hydros, on my S3010 there is a flow control located below the seat. It may be that it just needed adjusting. My 3010 has smooth hydros and the dealer made a point to show me the adjustment knob. He said that had been the biggest thing people had either called or came back on, the hydraulics. Only have 16 hrs on my little 3010, but it has not disappointed me one bit.

/ LS vs Kubota vs Bobcat hydro "smoothness" #4  
All I know about the LS is that it is blue, but I wouldn't judge them based on one tractor or even model. I like some Kubota models and not others; same with John Deere etc.

/ LS vs Kubota vs Bobcat hydro "smoothness" #5  
I know very little but here are my data points:

Case Farmall IH60 12x12 Synchro is very smooth. Must have the RPMs high and revving in order for the tractor to take off in high three or four.

JD 64XX the shift is smooth. Have not used the tractor in high.

/ LS vs Kubota vs Bobcat hydro "smoothness" #6  
I'll bump this up. Anybody else want to chime in on how smooth your hydrostatic operation is? I've heard that some Kiotis are a little unresponsive.

/ LS vs Kubota vs Bobcat hydro "smoothness" #7  
There is a "neutral" setting on the Kioti HST atleast. I read its adjustable and I could see how if it wasn't set up right, the tractor could be jumpy, starting and stopping.
I'd bet some money that LS uses a Kanzaki HST from japan just like Kioti but I'm just guessing.
I find my HST super smooth for starts and if you let the pedal up fast, it brakes hard but not locking the tires in 2wd or anything crazy. I like how you can control the creep forward at 12" a minute, or 24" a minute as well.

/ LS vs Kubota vs Bobcat hydro "smoothness" #8  
The Kubota 4240 has a knob on the dash that controls how quick the HST responds. It can go from very aggressive to very easy. In the winter when I have my tire chains on I'll set it to aggressive and quickly step on and then let off the pedal going down the hills. The tires will quickly lock up and the chains will break up the ice when it gets smooth. Don't know about the other brands but my Kubota's HST has been great

/ LS vs Kubota vs Bobcat hydro "smoothness" #9  
I have a Bobcat CT230 and my HST is smooth as silk. I can creep up smoothly and accurately when I want to get close to something with the bucket.

/ LS vs Kubota vs Bobcat hydro "smoothness" #10  
Can't answer your question, but my L3940's HST is fantastic - In Low range & Turtle* I can start the tractor off so slowly it wouldn't wake a sleeping baby. And as crazyal mentioned, the HST response is adjustable, so I could also adjust it to max response, put it in Hi range & Rabbit*, & take off like a bat out o' heck.

* = the on-the-go Hi-Lo column selector