LS XG 3140 VS LS XR 3135

/ LS XG 3140 VS LS XR 3135 #1  

Diesel Trout

Tractor
LS XR 4145 shuttle
New member here. I am closing on 7 acres outside of Buhl, ID. 2 Acres flat, 4.75 at a bit of a slope. And then steep to a creek. All open, except for trees by the
creek. This was all pasture for the last 50+ years. I will need a compact tractor to brush hog, dig water lines, and dig sewer lines for a septic, etc...
So, I will be getting a compact tractor in the 35 - 40 HP range, with a backhoe, and a 6 ft brushhog, and somesort of a posthole digger.( for fencing and whatnot)
Please explain the 400 lb difference between the 2. Looks like the wheelbase and width are different.... I know the specs are different between the FEL and the
backhoes, but, what about the 400 lbs? Is the front axle bigger? I know it is on the 4100 series. The wheels and tires appear to be the same. The FEL weight dif-
ference is not significant. FEL width is the same. Also, I am curious about the bucket differences between the two backhoes?? IE- Does one have removable teeth-
vs - the other having welded on teeth ?? The XR has larger width avl buckets than the XG.
Thanks to everyone on this site for your experience, knowledge, and sharing..... I have decided on a LG because it appears to be the most bang for the buck, and
my local dealer has a ton of experience in the industry as a whole. 20+ years working for John Deere... Services the local dairy industry, which is huge, by the way. He does not have a ton of inventory, though. NO XR's... There is mostly big AG around here, not a lot of smaller operations.
EDIT: Both models are open-station , and hydrostat

Last edited:
   / LS XG 3140 VS LS XR 3135 #2  
I will try first the XG is a cheaper line of LS tractors with a lighter frame, does not have the extendable 3 point arms , no delux seat, or rear remotes, draft control and rear lights but it does have the same engine from the 35 hp to the 55 hp on the XG or XR. The XR will cost more for the delux features. The XG is heavey enough built for what you want and no problem with the back hoe attachment just have to install rear remotes. When i bought i had to decide on the XR or the XG i went with the XG and have not been disappointed, they are a good tractor forthe price just be sure to buy from a dealer with a history and a shop.
Back hoe buckets do have removal teeth.

/ LS XG 3140 VS LS XR 3135
Thank you, Walt! I am trying to anticipate my future needs. I may need to be able to lift a ton with pallet forks. ( pallet of bricks or cobblestones )

The heavier frame on the XR makes sense. The other differences were listed in the brochure, but didn't explain the weight gain.

So far, I believe I would be happy with the XG 3140 H... However, the XR does have different models of backhoe and FEL. I still have a few months

before I have to decide. I'm glad you're happy with yours, Walt!

/ LS XG 3140 VS LS XR 3135 #4  
Thank you, Walt! I am trying to anticipate my future needs. I may need to be able to lift a ton with pallet forks. ( pallet of bricks or cobblestones )

The heavier frame on the XR makes sense. The other differences were listed in the brochure, but didn't explain the weight gain.

So far, I believe I would be happy with the XG 3140 H... However, the XR does have different models of backhoe and FEL. I still have a few months

before I have to decide. I'm glad you're happy with yours, Walt!

You will need a larger tractor to lift a Ton.

So that would be 2189 lbs minus SSQA minus pallet forks? What do you estimate the limit to be?

I would unload off the bed of a pickup or a low trailer. Maybe move the pallet a short distance. Thx

/ LS XG 3140 VS LS XR 3135 #6  
I have the XR3135 and chose it over the XG3140. The prices were a bit comparable at my dealer.

I chose the XR because of the hydraulic links on the back but mostly because of the extending arms on the 3 pt hitch. They really do help when going from attachment to attachment. My property is 40 year forsaken apple orchard with vine and a bunch of other obstructions. Being able to go from brush hog to box scraper to rake was necessary, and the slightly forgiving extension to hook up the hitches makes it really a lot easier.

If you ever decide to get something hydraulic on the front end loader (like a grapple) the rear hydraulic jacks can be used. There's a kit that brings them up front.

The 35 hp engine has operated my 5' rotary cutter just fine. You're up at like 2500 RPM to get the 540 RPM PTO needed so you're in the tractor and turbo's power band quite nicely. Even with hydrostat, I had plenty of power to tame undergrowth.

I have no experience with a 3140 and couldn't tell you what the extra 5 HP gets you. Please keep that in mind when weighing my statements.

I have the XR3135 and chose it over the XG3140. The prices were a bit comparable at my dealer.

I chose the XR because of the hydraulic links on the back but mostly because of the extending arms on the 3 pt hitch. They really do help when going from attachment to attachment. My property is 40 year forsaken apple orchard with vine and a bunch of other obstructions. Being able to go from brush hog to box scraper to rake was necessary, and the slightly forgiving extension to hook up the hitches makes it really a lot easier.

If you ever decide to get something hydraulic on the front end loader (like a grapple) the rear hydraulic jacks can be used. There's a kit that brings them up front.

The 35 hp engine has operated my 5' rotary cutter just fine. You're up at like 2500 RPM to get the 540 RPM PTO needed so you're in the tractor and turbo's power band quite nicely. Even with hydrostat, I had plenty of power to tame undergrowth.

I have no experience with a 3140 and couldn't tell you what the extra 5 HP gets you. Please keep that in mind when weighing my statements.

Happy to hear the prices were comparable for you. I hope to have a similar experience!

What size brush hog and box scraper do you use? If they are 5 ft, do you think 6 ft would be feasable?

Thank you for your in-use experiences- I believe they will all be relevant to my situation, either now, or later.

/ LS XG 3140 VS LS XR 3135 #8  
Happy to hear the prices were comparable for you. I hope to have a similar experience!

What size brush hog and box scraper do you use? If they are 5 ft, do you think 6 ft would be feasable?

Thank you for your in-use experiences- I believe they will all be relevant to my situation, either now, or later.

My rotary cutter is 5' and the box scraper is 6'. I purposefully got a slightly smaller rotary cutter just because I was going into all kinds of underbrush and didn't want the cutter to hit anything I hadn't already felt with the tires or 'probed' with my front end loader (set to a couple inches off the ground).

Box scraper needs to dig up earth and I didnt want tire tracks evident on areas I had already worked.

If you get a landscaping rake or rear blade, I suggest the 7' one. You'll have the HP to run it, and if you run it at an angle (most likely), it will still extend out past your tire track width ensuring you leave a clean look without tire tracks.

/ LS XG 3140 VS LS XR 3135 #9  
I meant to add, the 1 ton lift you're looking for is right on the edge. I think I'd look at a bigger tractor is this is an absolute requirement.

either way, beet juice in the tires and a ballast box are going to be your friends. You can substantially utilize more of your lifting power with these.

/ LS XG 3140 VS LS XR 3135 #10  
Im afraid 1 ton is out of range for either 35 or 40 hp , the weight that they show is at the pin and with forks its a long way from the pin, all the tractor companys plays games with FRL weight capacity,
The engine is the same in either up to the 55 hp just a computer program difference, they are all 114.7 cu in
Go here for more info on the tractor click on the tractor you are intrested in go to bottom of page and click on link for LS site for specs.

I run a 6 ft finish mower and a 5 ft tiller ( could run 6 ft with no problem) no problem with hp with either.