LS XR4040 Shuts Down

/ LS XR4040 Shuts Down #1  

beer_hunter

Tractor
LS XR4040
Good morning all. I've been lurking for years, too intimidated to post but gleaned a LOT of information from this forum. Thank you to all of you for your posts over the years.

Short version - Flashing Red Exclaimation Point in Triangle is on and won't allow tractor to turn over.

Details-
I have a 2015 LS XR4040. I bought it used in late 2018. At that time it had 100 hours on it. I use it to maintain food plots for deer, among other things. It currently has 412 hours.
Yesterday I was clearing up some old trash and debris from a lot. I ran the tractor for about an hour and a half with no warnings or issues. Tractor has run great for me. I jumped off the tractor to load some smaller metal onto the forks and while I was in front of the tractor (about a minute after I got off) it stalled. I didn't have parking brake on, so I assumed it may have rolled a bit or something and seat pressure switch shut it down. However, when I got back on, the red exclamation point in the triangle (lower left of instrument panel) was flashing and it wouldn't turn over. When you turn the key, you'll see the glow plug indicator turn on and a few seconds later you'll hear a "tick" and the glowplug light goes out and the triangle starts flashing. If I turn key off and turn it back to start it will turn over and start, only to be shut off immediately. I'm assuming the ECU is reading a fault somewhere, but there's no way for me to understand what fault I'm dealing with. I'm hoping someone here knows a bit about it because my local dealer isn't very helpful because I didn't buy the tractor from him. (I just got it back from them a week ago after he repaired the front axle seal.)
I'm hoping the one thing I found from the manual (purge water from fuel filter) is all it needs, but property and tractor are 45 minutes away so I'd like to get a list of things to check before I head back out there. Thanks in advance for any info.

/ LS XR4040 Shuts Down #2  
Does your tractor monitor the sediment filter for water? My non-LS tractor does not, but that would sure be an easy fix for you.
I'm sure an LS owner will chime in on the sediment bowl, and possibly a method for reading specific error codes if the dash is capable of reporting them.
Good luck.

/ LS XR4040 Shuts Down #3  
Sounds like there is definitely a code, just need to know what it is. On the dash, there should be an "F" code and an "S" code. Both are helpful in determining what might be going on.

/ LS XR4040 Shuts Down #4  
My buddy has an LS xr 4140 and his shut down this past summer when the radiator got plugged and the air filter was dirty also i believe his threw a code though,

/ LS XR4040 Shuts Down
Hey all, just wanted to update you. I went back out to property, turned the key on, and no warning light. I cleaned air filter and radiator screen. Both had fine dust so I'm ordering new air filter. (Inside filter looked good). I ran it for an hour or so without issue. I'm assuming it's temperature related, but I don't know. I'll bring it home give her a bath and change oil. Hopefully just a one time thing. Thanks for the feedback.

/ LS XR4040 Shuts Down #6  
Sounds like it might be a safety switch issue, was there some reason you didn’t set the parking brake before you got out of the seat ? Did you set the parking brake before attempting to start the tractor ?

/ LS XR4040 Shuts Down
When it originally stalled, I did not have brake set.....laziness I guess. When I attempted to restart I had brake on, gear selector and Fwd/Rev in neutral. I tried hopping on seat and nothing changed. I feel like it's some sort of temperature sensor. That's the only thing I can think of that changed from yesterday to today.

/ LS XR4040 Shuts Down #8  
When it originally stalled, I did not have brake set.....laziness I guess. When I attempted to restart I had brake on, gear selector and Fwd/Rev in neutral. I tried hopping on seat and nothing changed. I feel like it's some sort of temperature sensor. That's the only thing I can think of that changed from yesterday to today.
Mine has never shut itself off. My 4155 starts beeping very loud as soon as I get off the seat if the parking brake isn’t locked. However I do on rare occasions forget to take it out of gear. So far I really like those safety features.

/ LS XR4040 Shuts Down #9  
Sounds like it might be a safety switch issue, was there some reason you didn’t set the parking brake before you got out of the seat ? Did you set the parking brake before attempting to start the tractor ?
This ^^^ I have an LS tractor that did that several times after I got it with 10hrs on it. I fixed it by sitting down HARD on the seat with tractor turned off. Never happened again after that.

If you get off the seat without the parking brake set it will turn off after a short period of time.

/ LS XR4040 Shuts Down
If you get off the seat without the parking brake set it will turn off after a short period of time.
That would explain it shutting off initially. Are you suggesting it might be a seat sensor that wouldn't allow it to start? I figured the seat sensor would be overridden if the parking brake was set. Recapping for clarity - after it shut down I sat on the seat, set the parking brake, and it still would not start. (Glow plug would warm but after a few seconds it would stop and flash the exclamation point.)