LT1050 going back to HD

/ LT1050 going back to HD #1  

SAC

The constant stop and go mowing has pushed me past my tolerance level. I am not sure if it is related to being a hydrostatic transmission, the grade of my yard, or what, but this is my third lawn tractor (first hydro) and I have never experienced anything like this. Although it mows great, I cannot control the speed going downhill. Seems the momemtum of the mower picks up as I travel downhill, disengaging the transmission. Once it comes to a near stop, it re-engages and rares back with all its fury. It is the closest thing to riding a bull in a rodeo. I contacted a dealer and explained my problem. He said he has heard of this (coasting) happening but not sure if it is a defect or not. Another issue, on day two of ownership, after pulling a 36" roller for a 1/2 hour, it would not move in forward or reverse. After letting it cool down for about an hour (while I was on the phone with HD) it then worked fine. Thought it may have overheated. I asked the tech at the local dealer about this, and his suggestion was to pull the roller for 20 minutes and let the mower cool down for 10 minutes. I was a little amazed based on the fact that my $300 dollar MTD had no issues pulling this roller for the 2 acres of mowing. Any suggestions on what to buy in replace of?

/ LT1050 going back to HD #2  
Don't get too discouraged about Cub Cadet, there is obviously some sort of major driveline glitch going on with the 1000's, and thus I think you are right to return it- there is a lot of that going on these days. To get something really good and out of the belt drive to a shaft drive, look at CC's 2500's, the 2544 in perticular looks to be a great buy and people here are more or less ecstatic about it. Although about $1300 more than the 1050, the 2544 is a true garden tractor with heavy duty hydro, heavy frame, and long hour life Command engine that I bet will last more than double the lifespan of the 1050, and have performance that could twist the 1050LT in half. It's either that or spend upwards of $5000 for a comparable JD. Or if its still only a cheap LT you really need, head on over to Sears for a Craftsman or Husqvarna- they are really not bad for 10 year throwaways.

-Fordlords-

/ LT1050 going back to HD
I am not discouraged on the Cub brand, just dissapointed in the fact they market a machine that is not capable of supporting the attachments they sell. I am not looking to spend upward of 5k to work a two acre lot, however an additional 1k may be worth it.

/ LT1050 going back to HD
Welp, the junkster went back this morning. Went to a dealer shortly thereafter and checked out the 2550 and the 2554. Not really excited about spending the extra cash, however I think this could have turned out to be a "pay me now or pay me later" situation. One thing I did like was the 50" deck on the 1050, therefore I have eliminated a the 2542 or 2544 from the scenario. Not really sure how much time the 6"-8" deck difference actually saves me, but mentally it saves hours. I will probably end up a little poorer but much happier after this weekend.

/ LT1050 going back to HD #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ..just dissapointed in the fact they market a machine that is not capable of supporting the attachments they sell..)</font>

Agreed. It's rediculous that they even put a hitch plate on the 1000 series! CC needs to seriously re-think the hydro drive they put on these machines.

Joel

/ LT1050 going back to HD #6  
They really do. They stunk when they were a 7 piston pump and they stink even worse now that they are 5 piston pumps.

As nice as my 1515 looked, it could barely pull my 200 lbs around. I have a slight grade and if the cruise was on, it would slow right down. My 2180 doesnt do that. You really get what you pay for.