Backhoe Lubricating backhoe swing assy.

/ Lubricating backhoe swing assy. #1  

cgraham

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti LB1914
I have the KB2365 backhoe.

I'm not sure that I am getting proper distribution of grease in either the upper or lower swivel attachment points.

I am trying to understand how these swivels are constructed. They utilize a vertical pivot pin with a zerk in the top end. That must mean that there is some internal distribution channel. I see grease released to the upper flange area. I only see old grease at the lower ones.

I am having trouble recently getting either nipple to accept grease, although they are recessed and so are protected and appear undamaged. One zerk won't take much grease, the other will take none, and grease just escapes past the nozzle (in spite of adjusting it). I only noticed this difficulty recently.

The ball in the nipples depresses, allowing a little grease to escape. I have made sure that the hoe is supported, so that there is no unusual pressure on the swivels. I find it hard to believe the grease channels have become blocked because the swivels have been greased regularly until this problem became evident.

After I get some new zerks in, I'll try swapping them out, but indications are the ones I have are good.

It would be no easy matter disassembling these swivels, so I'm seeking some insight into what might be going on.

Thoughts? Thank you!

Charlie

/ Lubricating backhoe swing assy. #2  
Try swinging it to one side or the other, then grease it.
If that doesn't work try putting the boom down and pushing up on the frame.
Basically just move this pivot joint around and try to grease it in different positions.

BTI

/ Lubricating backhoe swing assy. #3  
I have a KL2376 hoe and if I'm understanding, your problem is where the swing cylinders attach to the sub-frame. My hoe has zerks on both the top and bottom bushing locations, for a total of 4 zerks on the swing cylinders(2 each)

/ Lubricating backhoe swing assy. #4  
if you are getting grease to come out of the fitting when you depress the ball then that would suggest that there is a positive pressure issue with the grease on that assembly. You may have enough in there and dont need anymore. Or the area is under pressure

/ Lubricating backhoe swing assy.
Thanks for the comments, gentlemen.

The problem is where the 2 pairs of lugs from the boom assembly attaches with two pins to lugs on the subframe: so it's the swivel point for the boom. There are only zerks on the top of the pins.

The grease is not getting to the bottom lugs. BTI, I'll get more aggressive with changing the pressure on the swivels, by using the hoe. On one swivel, the grease all comes out past the top lug with reluctance. The other accepts none.

Charlie

Still working on this one. Have changed out zerks, and probed down to the horizontal channel: only clean grease there. I can pump a small amount of grease in, then, resistance. Since grease is supposed to escape between the lugs, but instead pressure builds up, there must be a blockage in the horizontal grease channel, or between the lugs near the pin.

I can't remove this pin. So perhaps I can attack it from the outside, using PB Blaster or engine oil?

The final attempt would be to clean all the grease from the channel in the pins, fill them with PB Blaster and let it sit.

Moving the boom around has not helped so far.

Charlie

/ Lubricating backhoe swing assy. #7  
I was greasing my machine last weekend, zerk on bottom link of front bucket would not take grease. Raised and tilted bucket, still would not take grease. Removed Zerk, could pump grease through zerk no problem. Reasembled and still no grease into zerk. Then curled bucket up, still not grease into zerk, then tilted bucket down, still no grease into zerk, then tilted bucket all the way down, grease freely into zerk. I think it's a matter of unloading the pin so that grease can run it's course. Took me a bunch of tries to get the sweat spot on the releasing tension on the pin. My other machines are same way.
Good luck,
Joel

/ Lubricating backhoe swing assy. #8  
The most important thing to remember about grease fittings is keep them clean, Always wipe them off BEFORE pumping grease into them.

The frequency in witch you grease your machine is also important, some rules of thumb, every 8 hours of "normal" use. If you are digging in water( such as digging a pond) pins should be greased every couple hours.

If it has been awhile since you have greased your machine, the pin and the bushing can stick together, if this happens, when the attatchment is moved it will turn the bushing so the grease hole is not lined up with the zerk hole and then you must disassemble the joint to line it back up.

So, what I'm trying to say is this, wipe off the zerk with a rag before putting the grease gun on them, grease OFTEN, grease is alot cheaper than pins and bushings. Hope this helps

Rockman, after 230 hr on the tractor AND on newbie me, I am beginning to appreciate the value of your advice.

One problem I have had is that none of the swivels on the Kioti FEL and hoe have bushings or seals. Consequently the grease may take the least line of resistance and only flow in one direction in a ram sleeve, for instance, leaving the other end of the pin dry and rubbing aggainst a lug on the frame. I just discovered a seriously wallowed out lug on the backhoe swing assy. for that reason. and I'm lucky it is in a spot where I can weld another plate onto the damaged one, drop a longer pin through and add an extra grease fitting.

I'm going to spend a little extra, when my friendly welder fixes this particular problem. I'm going to have him look for any other potential trouble points he can do something about. I think it will be money saved in the long run.
There is quite a bit of end-play on some of the ram sleeves, especially on the FEL, and I'm wondering if it would be advisable to eliminate it by adding a washer or two.

I think silt can work it's way into the ends of the loose-fitting sleeves, and cause grease impaction: that is probably the cause of the swivel pin lubing problem.

I also had an outrigger pin seize due to rust when working in the creek: didn't think to grease it more often. Duh! Because it would no longer rotate, it started to wallow the lug on the frame. Fortunately I heard/felt that one before it got too bad.

I would have to say that the various swivel points on this tractor leave much to be desired in design: a hard pin rotating on a softer lug welded to the frame is especially undesirable. The tendency for grease to only run one way in a sleeve is another problem.

I'm going to be looking closer at these things now. I bought an oil can, and I'm going to be lubricating potential and actual dry spots with engine oil. I may remove some pins and lubricate them by hand occasionally.

Charlie

/ Lubricating backhoe swing assy. #10  
cgraham, You bring up some very good points about the lack of bushings and seals in the pivot points. I'm sure very few people think of these things when buying a tractor( I know I didn't), this only re-enforces the idea of greasing OFTEN. On the "wallowed out lug on the swing assembly", if it is on an end of a swing cylinder, you could take it to a machine shop and have them bore it out and install a bushing for a never have to worry about it again repair. Just a thought, good luck.

Kevin