Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #41  
I've heard of using ATF or 2 stroke oil or Marvel Mystery oil in diesels for a long time, I have added some myself at times. The new ULSD is not as good a fuel as we used to have but I haven't we haven't seen much additional wear on injection pumps with multiple tractors with well over 10,000 hours on them and several other rapidly approaching the 10,000 hour mark injector pump wear hasn't been an issue.
Also seeing as how every bit of fuel run through those engines has been dyed fuel I have never even seen the slightest red ting to those exhaust pipes.

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #42  
This is Just me and what I do.
Just so you know, on a different topic but kinda the same, all my 2 strokes are "tuned and dialed" to 32;1 and I have saws running original from the 70's and even new stuff made the last few years.
My old man was a marvel mystery Fan. I use it too. But I also use other stuff.
For my diesels I run 1 oz. per gallon(simple math)of the cheapo walmart super tech 2 stroke oil in the gallon jugs that everyone claims causes failures.
And have 0 issues in my 05 takeuchi and 06 John Deere 4720.
So what ratio is that..,? I'm not going to split hairs on the issue but it's "around/about" 100:1/120:1
On typical 32:1 it's 4 oz per gallon, I mentioned earlier this is 1 oz. per gallon.
I don't fret too much on the small stuff, sometimes I am real generous if I missed adding, the worse thing is you may notice a little hint of smoke. Some refer to this as snake oil.
Dealers will say it voiids your warranty, keep in mind they like to sell parts and labor.
No company can survive without repairs and repeat business.
I will mention I don't have the particulate exhaust filters.(my 06 may)It'll poof out when I throw the coal to it for a few seconds, but My equipment rarely see's wide open.(I'm in no hurry and have nothing to prove)and I never blew a motor up under-reving it...
They might require a sooner cleaning adding any oil's but they run so d@mn hot if you are running wide@$$ open like everyone thinks, you might be ok, Your choice, Your Dime.
I'm just saying what I do and it's been cheap peace of mind for me.
My Excavator has 3000 hrs and tractor is 2000 hrs or less.
My only concern would be the newer Exhaust filters, basically a catalytic converter clogging up sooner.
I will mention I run this same mix in my gas too for my Z-mowers and all my other small engines.

Last edited:
   / Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #43  
Hello
I got on a diesel forum and saw a guys video where he mixed 2 parts marvel mystery oil with one part Howes lubricant.
I put a 12 ounce bottle of the mix in our 2006 pre DEF sprinter van(the million mile motor) with every fill up.
Before using the mix: about every 500 miles I would have to add about 4 ounces of motor oil (extremely sensitive oil warning system)
While using the mix it uses no oil whatsoever.
A little bit pricey for the two mixed but the motor seems to like it!
my 2 cents input

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #44  
From a diesel fuel lubricity study, Marvel Mystery oil was about the worst additive tested. It actually reduced the lubricity of diesel fuel by quite a bit.

Marvel Mystery Oil
Gas, Oil and Diesel fuel additive (NOT ULSD compliant, may damage 2007 and newer systems)
HFRR 678, 42 microns worse than baseline fuel.
320:1 ratio

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #46  
Older engines are not immune to damage caused by modern day ULSD because they are old. Neither will running the home heating diesel or off road diesel in the vehicle prevent damage.

"Under Sulphur in Diesel Fuel Regulations (SOR/2002-254), the sulfur content of diesel fuel produced or imported was reduced to 15 ppm after 31 May 2006. This was followed by the reduction of sulfur in diesel fuel sold for use in on-road vehicles after 31 August 2006."

A reduction in Sulfur in Diesel was mandated because, SO2's, are emitted by the burning of fossil fuels or other materials that contain sulfur. Sulfur dioxide can damage trees and plants, inhibit plant growth, and damage sensitive ecosystems and waterways. It also can contribute to respiratory illness and aggravate existing heart and lung conditions.

Fuel producers when processing raw crude oil left the sulfur in the diesel fuel because it acts as a lubricant. Fuel producer today are required by regulation (SOR/2002-254), to refine the sulfur out of the diesel fuel down to 15PPM and place a Red Dye in Home Heating diesel to show that road taxes were not paid on the fuel. Don't ever get caught with Home Heating oil in a diesel vehicle on a highway.

That's felony tax evasion in the US. The government takes a very dim view of stealing from the Treasury.

In most US states, it's up to 5 years and 25 grand. If you're in the construction or farming trade, you will also lose the right to burn untaxed fuel in your equipment.
Years ago a fellow who delivered our horse hay used off-road diesel in his Duramax. He replaced his injectors twice. False economy.

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #47  
What can I add to older (1980’s) Diesel tractor to add lubricity to the fuel.
Have been told that Automobile Transmission Fluid or Two Cycle Oil (used in two cycle engines) can be used but I do not know at what ratio. (How much per gallon of diesel fuel?) Other substitutes?
I use Hot Shots Everyda Diesel in my Ram Ecodiesel . So far so good, over 110k miles.

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #48  
I don't have a degree in Chemical Engineering so I rely on the information provided by the people who manufacture and make diesel fuel, the Refineries and they say, Sulfur, which is a chemical element, is what gives petroleum diesel its lubricating properties.

Where do they say this? And if sulfur was what is needed, why don't the additives for lubricity contain sulfur?

/ Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #49  
Where do they say this? And if sulfur was what is needed, why don't the additives for lubricity contain sulfur?
I saw where he copied that from. It’s on an oil company website. It’s not the first miswording on a company’s site. Obviously whoever put it to text , got it technically incorrect.
Sulfur is useful in gear oils for EP between high load gear teeth, similar to zinc. Neither element is really a good “lubricant “

Last edited:
   / Lubrication additives for Diesel Fuel in older tractor #50  
They don’t contain sulfur because they are a substitute for sulfur which the refinery removed to reduce pollution.