Lubricity of diesel

/ Lubricity of diesel #91  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I suggest you enroll in an eight year univeristy graduate organic chemisty program and get started learning now what it is you want to know about so much so that after you've paid all your hard earned money for all your petrochemical tests and analysis, you'll at least be able to read and understand the results.... )</font>

So now I have to complete an eight(!?!) year graduate course to even understand the results? But my questions would seem to have very, very simple answers. The answers to the questions of who made this fuel and what tank did it come from (the original claim, remember?) would seem to be eminently understandable, even to someone with my meager education.

I'm disappointed. You said fuel could be traced to its manufacturer and tank of origin. I have some I want to perform that test on and asked you for the place to get that done. But instead of getting a phone number, I get the response that I would be unable to understand the results (although, apparently jurors can) without completing eight years of graduate school work. I can think of a couple of places that do this sort of thing, and they would be Midwest Research Institute in Kansas City or Los Alamos National Laboratories. They do all that high-fallootin' chemical analysis that you talked about. Come to think of it, LANL might be my best bet since I've got a niece that works there and has a PhD in molecular biology. This may not be her exact area of specialty, but I'll bet she could interpret those oh-so-hard-to-understand test results for me. If you've got better places, let me know.

BTW, would you be interested in some Poker?
/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Lubricity of diesel #92  
CP,
To be perfectly honest with you. I believe SkyPup is correct, however I would love to see you have your oil analyzed with results for us all to see. Assuming there are no games with the sample or results you might be able to prove your case. If you are right, great, I have no problem admiting that I'm wrong now. It would be great info. This pissing match you have with SkyPup now is not proving anything but who can get the last dig. As I said before its been interesting reading so far....

/ Lubricity of diesel #93  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( So now I have to complete an eight(!?!) year graduate course to even understand the results )</font>

No.. but I agree with most of the others.. Your asking about gallons and kilograms .. well.. they um... aren't needed info. You simply need to draw of a sample and send it in.. depending on what you pay for, and the sophistication of the lab.. you should get an analysis that tells you percentage of blends if more than one fuel base is in the sample.. etc.

That's what your shooting for right? Not sure where the kilograms / gallons issue came in... your sample will be in the 'ounces' range... the mix ratio would be the same wheter you sent them a few ounces, a few gallons, or the entire tank.

Think about this like an oil analysis.. they can tell you moisture, and what other ptro chemicals arein your oil as contaminantes, as well as composition and level of addatives present.. this diesel test isn't different in scope..

Soundguy

/ Lubricity of diesel #94  
Guys, even though this one quietly died down, I just thought I'd give a little info I came across. The lab I contacted lead me to believe its possible, though they arent capable(going back to the $$$ issue).. Still no conclusive evidence, just thought you might like to see the transcript...

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Subject: Testing

My question

Can you please tell me if it is possible to test a fuel(diesel) to determine its origin? I am interested in the filling station or brand in particular. If so, can you separate and identify a mixture from different suppliers? Thank you for any info you can provide.

Thier reply

Hi Greg,

This determination is much more difficult than it sounds. Even if you have the exact reference, our lab would only be able to say whether or not they have typical diesel fuel properties. Determining the source requires not only much more sophisticated instrumentation, but also a huge matrix of samples. This is further complexed with fuel transport. One station could have several suppliers, which could cause the fuel to be mixed, not to mention the quick turnover of fuel. One thing some stations do is put a tracer component in their fuel to assist with contamination issues, but they don’t usually supply information such as that to anyone. So this is really a difficult question you pose and unfortunately we can not assist in this request. Thanks so much for the inquiry!

)</font>