Lucas injector pump swapped to Bosch mechanical pump

/ Lucas injector pump swapped to Bosch mechanical pump #1  

Treemanbbs

Tractor
2002 new Holland ls180
The temperamental and very expensive Lucas pump ($3850 ) was unrebuildable so saw some guys we’re replacing with the old mechanical Bosch pump. I installed a new Bosch pump. Had the injectors recalibrated. Replaced the drive gear and rerouted the hard lines. Installed new lift ( supply ) pump and new filters. The engine idles great but only a small amount of rpm change when throttled up. I have in the past installed a primer bulb like boats have to prime it. If I squeeze the primer bulb when it’s running it does raise the rpm a slight amount. I have taken the linkage off the pump and moved the throttle manually with no change. Acts like it’s starving for fuel. Any ideas ?

/ Lucas injector pump swapped to Bosch mechanical pump #2  
Is your lift pump really functioning, that is pretty basic to supply fuel to injector pump.... Also is injector pump timed correctly?

/ Lucas injector pump swapped to Bosch mechanical pump
Yes the supply pump is putting a lot of fuel to the filter housing at the bleeder plug. As far as timing, I had the engine set per all the specs and the pump was locked to install. But with the minor adjustments you can make by twisting the pump housing ( like you would do a distributor) the hard lines won’t allow very little movement. Does that adjustment affect the timing much ? I could remove the hard lines and adjust pump and rebend the hard lines to fit again.

/ Lucas injector pump swapped to Bosch mechanical pump #4  
Although I pumped the primer bulb with little to no change, a CAV feed pressure is only 1-3 psi.. Feed pressure to a Bosch in-line pump is 25 psi to feed all the pumping plungers..
WHAT KIND OF CAV cost $3850.??!!!

The Lucas that is oem was $2850 last year when I did the swap. And walla go I just decided to get give up and buy one and an ebay listing had it for $3850.

So Pump Guy , if you are saying the original Lucas pump only needs 1-3 psi to supply it. And the old style Bosch needs 25 psi. Can you tell me what sort of lift pump I can install to get the 25 psi ? The setup I have now is the lift pump is mounted directly on top of the fuel filter housing.

/ Lucas injector pump swapped to Bosch mechanical pump #7  
Let’s start with some pictures of the pumps or at least some pump #’s..
I gotta know what I’m working with..

7608E804-8ADA-4670-AB8F-25088652F0E3.png
This is what is originally supposed to be on the ls180 new Holland skid steer.

4EDD3DF5-1BBD-4CB6-A244-1D108A208976.png
This is the injector pump I installed that was original to early seventies ford 3000 tractor.