Lull boom cylinder removal safely? Holding valves?

/ Lull boom cylinder removal safely? Holding valves? #11  
Appreciate the update and hopefully the Lull in back in service.

/ Lull boom cylinder removal safely? Holding valves?
Appreciate the update and hopefully the Lull in back in service.

Thanks for following. Everything seems to work as it should. I did discover the (what I believe to be) oil sending unit is leaking where the wires are in it, it's bacolite I think.

/ Lull boom cylinder removal safely? Holding valves? #13  
Dave,
just ran across this thread about your experience with that Lull boom cylinder. Getting ready to tackle this on mine, any advice appreciated.
Thanks Bob

/ Lull boom cylinder removal safely? Holding valves? #14  
Fast3, after the cylinder is out, remove the lock valves with socket but hold several junk rags on top of ratchet to minimize release of pressure. It will a bit messy but the rags will keep oil from spurting across the room.
Do not try to remove the gland without releasing the pressure, and do not unscrew the lock valves while on the Lull.

Dave,
just ran across this thread about your experience with that Lull boom cylinder. Getting ready to tackle this on mine, any advice appreciated.
Thanks Bob

The load holding valves didn't come into play. I assume once we loosened the hose it was done. I set up some 5' scaffold behind mine, with the boom propped up level, slid it out the back onto the waiting forks on my tractor. I was able to leave the spools that the hoses wind around in the machine. Just pay close attention to how the cable is routed. If you have ever rebuilt a hydraulic cylinder before it's straight forward from there, it's just a looooong sucker...LOL Be careful though it's heavy and holds nearly 4 gals of oil.

also what was said above.

/ Lull boom cylinder removal safely? Holding valves? #16  
Does it have double cylinders on the side of the boom or a single under the boom? How bad does it leak?
@4570Man This leads me to believe you may know something about removing a rear tilt cylinder? I have a 644 Highlander 2 - 1988? with one rear tilt cylinder under the boom. The cylinder is leaking and I'm trying to remove it. Any help?

@4570Man This leads me to believe you may know something about removing a rear tilt cylinder? I have a 644 Highlander 2 - 1988? with one rear tilt cylinder under the boom. The cylinder is leaking and I'm trying to remove it. Any help?
Are you talking a carriage tilt cylinder? Or the large one under the boom? If it's the latter I think you will find that is what's referred to as a balancing cylinder. Put the boom down, with engine off crack a hose and drain off what you can, pull cylinder and have it rebuilt. Pretty much the same if it's a carriage tilt cylinder.

/ Lull boom cylinder removal safely? Holding valves? #18  
The load holding valves didn't come into play. I assume once we loosened the hose it was done. I set up some 5' scaffold behind mine, with the boom propped up level, slid it out the back onto the waiting forks on my tractor. I was able to leave the spools that the hoses wind around in the machine. Just pay close attention to how the cable is routed. If you have ever rebuilt a hydraulic cylinder before it's straight forward from there, it's just a looooong sucker...LOL Be careful though it's heavy and holds nearly 4 gals of oil.

also what was said above.
Hello Dave, reading your post and I have mine apart, partially lol....was gonna try to pull cyliNader out while leaving everything thing else inside, is it possible

I'm no expert but I think you will be OK