LW6 dipper cylinder disassembly????

/ LW6 dipper cylinder disassembly???? #1  

glmf

Silver Member
Tractor
CK20HST
Bought a rebuild kit from circle G for a LW 6 dipper cylinder. Tried to take the darn thing apart to no avail. Got the snap ring off and pushed the gland inside. Then took a three piece retainer from inside the outer bore off, and still can't get the rod out. Does anyone have any tips or even better, photos on the rebuilding of the LW 6 cylinders??

/ LW6 dipper cylinder disassembly???? #2  
After you push the end in and remove the three piece retainer, the piston and rod will come out, but it will not be easy. The edges of the machined areas in the cylinder are not chamfered so the seals will hang up on them. Plan on rounding those edges a little prior to assembly, it will make it go a little easier. You will need a piston ring compressor or similar tool for assembly.

My personal experience is here: Chinese Tractor Owners Association - CTOA Forums - Bulldozer & Excavation Troubleshooting - I gues it was bound to happen.

/ LW6 dipper cylinder disassembly????
Thanks Bob, that is very helpful, will go from there.

Bob, you were right, tapped right out. Now of course there's another problem, the rebuild kit doesn't have the piston seals and wear ring in it. Looked on the circle G site where I bought the kit and don't see the piston parts there. Do you have a source for the piston seals and wear ring?? Thanks much

/ LW6 dipper cylinder disassembly???? #5  
I bought mine from Tom at Keno Tractor in Oregon. They weren't the exact kits but the rod lip seal and piston seals were correct. You won't find that hard nylon wear ring anywhere except maybe China. Don't break it, it's supposed to have a ~45° split in it. I wound up getting the large O-rings from O-Rings West (local supplier but ships one or a hundred worldwide). Talk to Phillip at Circle-G, he may have the right kit after all.

Thanks again Bob, you've been very helpful. That nylon or teflon wear ring is broken, you can see where the 45 split was,,, much wider now. Will have to track down the parts, thanks again

Attachments

• dans cylinder1.JPG
    dans cylinder1.JPG
    324.5 KB · Views: 209
   / LW6 dipper cylinder disassembly???? #7  
I wouldn't worry too much about it being broken, unless it's broken in three pieces. It's function is to keep the piston centered in the cylinder, not being an oil barrier. The new cup seals should be an opaque polymer, a much better material than the OEM's.

/ LW6 dipper cylinder disassembly???? #8  
glmf said:
Thanks again Bob, you've been very helpful. That nylon or teflon wear ring is broken, you can see where the 45 split was,,, much wider now. Will have to track down the parts, thanks again

Well I have to say (looking at picture) that your piston cups are worn. I thought mine were bad but they don't even show that much wear. I also had problems finding them (still have not rebuilt it yet). Circle G said they did not have any thing to match. When I get sometime, I am going to take mine (boom cylinder) to a cylinder rebuild shop and they said that they can match the parts exactly, but with better parts. INFO YOU I did buy a new cylinder from FarmPro parts site for 136.00 and change delivered. Did not fix my problem though.

NOW my problem is the FEL main bracket (LT side) welds have broke loose and caused a tear in the tube. Kept hearing a cracking sound and thought it was the front wheel axle. Notice when I lifted the FEL it would make sound. THEN I saw the tear. Welder down the street said it was a CHEAP weld job, but he would fix it better than it has ever been. Thank God for neighbors.

Sorry to step on your tread but I saw the picture of pistion and had to repley. Let us know if you do find the right cups for piston, might need them myself. ,,, James

/ LW6 dipper cylinder disassembly???? #9  
James,
Let us know how you faired with finding piston seals and parts. I went to two unrelated hydraulic specialty shops in Seattle. They both had the same parts books. Nowhere could identical (or close) matches be found.

My brother Dan(the owner of the tractor) is working with Circle G to track down the parts. Will keep you posted as to what we find out,,