LX Series Oversized Tires

/ LX Series Oversized Tires #21  
Deere started the oversize tires on a smaller frame lighter tractor series and Kubota followed to offer same.

I already have a larger Grand L and bought the LX because it's lighter and better for landscaping tasks. At 1800 pounds less waiting for soft ground to dry out.

I seriously considered the R14s but our woods has a lot of black locust thorns and the R4s looked like a more durable option.

/ LX Series Oversized Tires #22  
Though I believe that the disadvantages of the optional over sized tires considerably outweigh any advantages, my original post was not intended to review this issue, but rather to comment and ask about the major ballooning exibited on the oversized R14T tires but not on the similar over sized R4 tires.

I prefer the R14T tires for my purposes and will likely buy them next time but in the standard rather than optional over size and only after viewing such to determine if ballooning is an issue with the standard sized R14Ts.

SDT

What you may be noticing is that the standard size R14s are a larger size than the standard size R4, so side by side it’s not an apples to apples comparison. Larger wheel and larger section width. Compounding that is that the tread/contact patch of the R14 is more narrow than the R4 while the section width is greater.

/ LX Series Oversized Tires
What you may be noticing is that the standard size R14s are a larger size than the standard size R4, so side by side it’s not an apples to apples comparison. Compounding that is that the tread/compact patch of the R14 is more narrow than the R4 while the section width is greater.

Nope. Two tractors were side by side. One had oversized R4s while the other had oversized R14Ts.

The optional over sized R14Ts were seriously ballooned whereas the optional over sized R4s were not.

SDT

/ LX Series Oversized Tires #24  
If both had the 19.5s, it’s just a function of the section width vs more narrow tread width of the R14. I noticed the same thing looking at the last 15 LX tractors before buying mine. Visually I didn’t care for the look and more narrow tread of the R14 and for my needs the R4 is just a better tire. I also didn’t care for the tiny standard R14s 12” wheel compared to the standard R4 14” wheel. The more narrow tread on the R14 is likely because it’s a mid-point between R1 and R4, and more narrow tires tend to do better in the sloppy stuff. ,Good luck...

/ LX Series Oversized Tires #25  
R14s are closer to a balloon turf tire with some small bars. If the dealer has a bumpy area to test they definitely ride better than R4s.

/ LX Series Oversized Tires #26  
But I believe they are marketed as a mid point between R1 and R4, but I agree, they look like a barred turf tire.

/ LX Series Oversized Tires #27  
I was afraid along with more exposed non-tread areas the bulging sidewalls would be a thorn and flat issue on the R14s.

/ LX Series Oversized Tires #28  
LX series travel speeds and tire options

View attachment 666368

View attachment 666369

Thanks for posting these. So knowing the correct speeds, it's more like a 7.9% reduction in wheel force and 5.7% reduction in ground force with the larger tires. That is not so bad, but seems like a step in the wrong direction to only gain 1.5" ground clearance.

Nominal side-slope stability will be reduced with the larger tires, all else equal, since the tractor is moving up 1.5" but the tire center stays in nearly the same place (for apples to apples I assume spacers or no-spacers on both options). Or interpret that to mean you should really add spacers to the larger tire setup in order to offset the loss in stability from the height increase.

Where the big tires may help is flotation on soft ground, since the big tires will have a larger contact patch. Of course if they are fluid filled then you need to take that into account as well, since it will again push you in the wrong direction.

I guess I had a hard time seeing a favorable impact with the large tires on the B50 series and can say the same with the LX. I think at best there is a mixed benefit. Normally with tractor upgrades we see compelling benefits and that does not jump out at me here.

I included a screenshot of my spreadsheet, revised from the B3350 to LX3310 with tire options. It has the older L models for comparison (the newer L3301/L3901 are close but slightly heavier and slightly more power). I assume Titan-brand tires on all of them (only feeds into the diameter spec).

666385d1597593158-lx-series-oversized-tires-screen-shot-2020-08-16-a

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 11.51.45 AM.png

/ LX Series Oversized Tires #29  
The overall tire width (outside edge to outside edge) increases with the 19.5" rear tires which increases stability at a given height. That would be offset to some degree by the higher center of gravity due to the taller 19.5' tire option.

Not sure why moving to the 'Kubota-approved and sold' optional sized tires is the 'wrong direction', that would suggest that putting on short BX25D tires is the 'right direction'. Everyone has different needs, there is no wrong answer here, they are all approved configurations. For me, in addition to the R4 19.5s, I'm adding wheel spacers, just because.... ;)

But this thread is about R14s

Thanks

/ LX Series Oversized Tires #30  
Thanks for posting these. So knowing the correct speeds, it's more like a 7.9% reduction in wheel force and 5.7% reduction in ground force with the larger tires. That is not so bad, but seems like a step in the wrong direction to only gain 1.5" ground clearance.

Nominal side-slope stability will be reduced with the larger tires, all else equal, since the tractor is moving up 1.5" but the tire center stays in nearly the same place (for apples to apples I assume spacers or no-spacers on both options). Or interpret that to mean you should really add spacers to the larger tire setup in order to offset the loss in stability from the height increase.

Where the big tires may help is flotation on soft ground, since the big tires will have a larger contact patch. Of course if they are fluid filled then you need to take that into account as well, since it will again push you in the wrong direction.

I guess I had a hard time seeing a favorable impact with the large tires on the B50 series and can say the same with the LX. I think at best there is a mixed benefit. Normally with tractor upgrades we see compelling benefits and that does not jump out at me here.

I included a screenshot of my spreadsheet, revised from the B3350 to LX3310 with tire options. It has the older L models for comparison (the newer L3301/L3901 are close but slightly heavier and slightly more power). I assume Titan-brand tires on all of them (only feeds into the diameter spec).

666385d1597593158-lx-series-oversized-tires-screen-shot-2020-08-16-a

View attachment 666385
It's not all about ground clearance, for me the upsize tires would help with flotation but also help with obstacles due to the larger diameter. The added ballast can be a bonus.

If the tractor only had a 2 range I could see it being a problem but the Kubota has a pretty decent low range.

If I lived on a mountain I probably wouldn't be looking at taller tires though.

Last edited: