LX176 Spark Plug Blow Out

/ LX176 Spark Plug Blow Out #11  
That's about what I would expect from a John Deere dealer. Your local independent lawn mower shop probably would have charged 1/2 that much. By-the-way, how does a sparkplug blow out?

Last edited:
   / LX176 Spark Plug Blow Out #12  
I've seen them blow out after the plug was run in too tight, overtorqued to the point of just stripping the threads. Maybe run in with an air ratchet......don't ask how I came to see something like that : ) Yeah and I ate the repairs, and have fixed other peoples problems more than a few times. I have done them both on and off cars and small engines. I leave it up to the person who owns the piece. It is of course prefered to remove the head for the work, but I haven't ruined a cylinder yet, after maybe 20 on engine repairs. No worries though when the head is off.

/ LX176 Spark Plug Blow Out #13  
When i tap threads I love to remove the part.. however.. there are times when it just isn't practicle. In those events I grease up the tap, and run it in only 1/4 of a turn, and then back, and hit another smear of grease on it, then repaiat and that usually catches at least 95% of the chips. I'v tested this on flat stock to see what kind of debri I get... Still not the prefered way.. but sometimes is the only way..

Soundguy

/ LX176 Spark Plug Blow Out #14  
So, apparently it only happens by human error. Been changing my own plugs for fifty years and never had it happen or even heard of it until recently.