/ LX2610 Cab - Front Axel Case fluid replacement #1  

JME81

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota LX2610HSDC
The manual says:
  • KUBOTA SUPER UDT-2
  • SAE 80-SAE 90 gear oil

Why specify 2 options? From what I've read it ships with UDT.

Recommendations? I'm looking at buying the AMSOIL SEVERE GEAR® 80W-90 100% Synthetic Gear Lube for it.

Last edited:
   / LX2610 Cab - Front Axel Case fluid replacement #2  
Your choice, your wallet. Ordinary 85-90 or 85-140 GL4 hypoid oil will be just fine and a lot cheaper than what I consider overpriced Amsoil lubricants. Just be apprised that the outboards will drain separately from the main axle and will have drain and level plugs on each outboard. Never been an Amsoil or Lucas fan boy. When you change it, be sure to grease the axle pivot and make sure the axle vent is open and check and set the pivot runout (if applicable).

/ LX2610 Cab - Front Axel Case fluid replacement
Your choice, your wallet. Ordinary 85-90 or 85-140 GL4 hypoid oil will be just fine and a lot cheaper than what I consider overpriced Amsoil lubricants. Just be apprised that the outboards will drain separately from the main axle and will have drain and level plugs on each outboard. Never been an Amsoil or Lucas fan boy. When you change it, be sure to grease the axle pivot and make sure the axle vent is open and check and set the pivot runout (if applicable).
I don't see that greasing the axle pivot is applicable according to the book, just adjusting the nut.

/ LX2610 Cab - Front Axel Case fluid replacement #4  
I don't have your tractor, mine are a lot bigger but on mine, the front pivot's have 2 grease fittings. One on the bottom just in front of the prop shaft cover and one on the right side, midway up in the middle. When I grease mine, I apply grease until I see it oozing from in between the joints.

You do know how to set the front axle freeplay I presume? Understand, the pivot is NOT lubricated by the axle fluid but is entirely separate. If you don't understand how to set it, post it and I'll explain it.

I've seen new Kubota's come with small pipe plugs in the grease ports that have to be removed and grease fittings installed in their place. Yours may or may not be like that. If they are, remove the plugs and install grease fittings but, remember, the threads are not SAE but metric so you'll need metric grease fittings.

I don't have your tractor, mine are a lot bigger but on mine, the front pivot's have 2 grease fittings. One on the bottom just in front of the prop shaft cover and one on the right side, midway up in the middle. When I grease mine, I apply grease until I see it oozing from in between the joints.

You do know how to set the front axle freeplay I presume? Understand, the pivot is NOT lubricated by the axle fluid but is entirely separate. If you don't understand how to set it, post it and I'll explain it.
I don't - was not planning on doing that at this time as I'm just changing the lube earlier than the 400 hours as I bought it used from the dealer- just want to put all the right stuff in.

I'd take your direction though on it, regardless of not needing it today. :)

/ LX2610 Cab - Front Axel Case fluid replacement #6  
Do it anyway. Once the front pivot becomes sloppy, it will impact steering and the life of the pivot and you don't want to replace that, it's quite expensive.

Simple to do actually, you need to lift the front of the tractor with a jack so the front axle swings free and then loosen the nut on the bolt that is sticking out the front and run the bolt in until it's hand tight and back it off 1/4 turn and tighten the locking nut.

if you have an owners manual it should tell you that procedure. If you have a front end loader on the tractor, you can use the FEL to lift the front axle off the ground and then adjust the freeplay. What I do, only takes a minute to adjust.

What you typed looks easy, reading the manual it is a little confusing...

Adjusting front axle pivot (4WD)
Screenshot 2024-03-13 125945.png

/ LX2610 Cab - Front Axel Case fluid replacement #8  
Disregard the 'liquid gasket' entirely, it's not germane to the adjustment so long as you don't completely remove the bolt. Takes me about 2 minutes to check and adjust mine actually and I would be surprised if there weren't any blanking plugs in the pivot casting or grease fittings. Never seen one without but then again, mine are a lot bigger than yours is.

/ LX2610 Cab - Front Axel Case fluid replacement #9  

I've seen new Kubota's come with small pipe plugs in the grease ports that have to be removed and grease fittings installed in their place. Yours may or may not be like that. If they are, remove the plugs and install grease fittings but, remember, the threads are not SAE but metric so you'll need metric grease fittings.
Every tractor I have owned had grease fittings at the front axle pivot and they were only 26 HP and 35 HP.
Even my Wheel Horse garden tractor has grease fitting on the front axle pivot.

/ LX2610 Cab - Front Axel Case fluid replacement #10  
Your choice on lube type.
Die-hards prefer gear lube,but both are fine.
Last 5 gallon pail of gear lube I bought wasn't that much cheaper than SUDT2.
Good Luck!