LX266 Deere Won't Start

/ LX266 Deere Won't Start #1  

wolfden793

Silver Member
Tractor
Deere LX 266, John Deere Gator TX, Kubota B7500, Takeuchi TB016
Hi All,

Hope someone out there has a solution for my lawn tractor. Started right up this spring, turned it on and off numerous times then went to start it yesterday and no soap. I turned the key to the on position and got the usual red dash light, turned key to the start position and then heard a "click," then nothing. Here's what I've done so far:

Checked battery with VOM and had well over 12V
Removed and cleaned both cables and posts
Removed ignition switch, cleaned and re-installed
Checked both ends of the battery cables where they connect to the engine.
Replaced both fuses that were under the dash

No electrical of any kind. No lights, dash lights, nothing.

Any help would be appreciated!

Jim

/ LX266 Deere Won't Start #2  
OK here is a start. Take your volt meter and connect it to the wires that attache to the battery, not on the battery post. Then turn the start/run switch to attempt to start.

Note what the battery voltage reads before turning the switch to start and what the voltage is with the switch in the start position.

Report back.

/ LX266 Deere Won't Start
Hi Richard,

I appreciate your reply. Since I posted, I put the VOM lead on the negative post and the other on the larger nut on the solenoid, and it read 12.62V. When I put the leads on both cables (cables are attached to posts) it also reads over 12V. I was thinking about one of the safety switches, such as the one under the brake pedal. The one under the seat is by-passed and the one for turning on the PTO was working. Any way to check the one activated by the brake pedal?

/ LX266 Deere Won't Start #4  
You said that when you try to start, you hear a "click". I think that the click you hear is either a relay or the starter solenoid. To me, that means that the start circuit is complete, but that the battery voltage/current is not getting to the starter.

You need to do the little test I suggested.

Richard,

I believe I did that test, unless I did it incorrectly. I removed the starter and took it to a local shop where they tested it in front of me and it ran normally. I have had difficulty with the positive cable in the past, so I'm going to get a new one tomorrow and see if that makes a difference. Brake safety switch had normal continuity, so eliminated that as a possibility.

/ LX266 Deere Won't Start #6  
Bought a JD LX mower for $75.00 The people who owned it had the same problem but couldnt fix it.

Turned out the clicking from the solenoid was from a frozen engine.

Brought it home and pulled the electric pto off and it started right up...

Hello!

Thank you for your response. This is interesting. When I first went to use it this spring, it worked and started perfectly. What model LX do you have? I need a picture of the starter connections to make sure I've got them correct. This is a single cylinder 16HP Kohler.

/ LX266 Deere Won't Start #8  
Hi Richard,

I appreciate your reply. Since I posted, I put the VOM lead on the negative post and the other on the larger nut on the solenoid, and it read 12.62V. When I put the leads on both cables (cables are attached to posts) it also reads over 12V. I was thinking about one of the safety switches, such as the one under the brake pedal. The one under the seat is by-passed and the one for turning on the PTO was working. Any way to check the one activated by the brake pedal?

If you haven’t figured this out yet you need to put the positive of you VM on the wire that plugs into the side of the starter. This should be your lead from the switch. Put the negative lead of the VM to ground, when you turn the key you should see it register 12v, if not it is between the switch and the starter.

In a pinch you can plug an alligator clip to the lead on the starter that has the plug and touch it to the hot lead bolted to the starter and it should turnover and start as long as all you safety switches are working such as neutral and pto.

Hi All,
Thanks for all your responses. I believe we've narrowed down the problem to a bad starter switch. I'll post and let you know for sure once a new part is installed. Happy Memorial Day!