LX5 cutter shear bolt

/ LX5 cutter shear bolt #11  
Sliding the U-joint cover back is very easy, once I discovered the right way to do it on my 513. I keep a "shear bolt replacement kit" in the well behind the seat and fuel tank/rear wall. It has a sack of bolts, two right-sized socket wrenches, a hammer if I need to punch out the bolt remnant, and a flathead screwdriver, to pop the tabs on the shield and to insert in to the driveline to pop out the remnant, or variably, to hold the holes in line while I fish out the new bolt. I created this kit after I realized I never blow bolts in the garage, but always as far from the garage and tools as possible.

And for safety's sake, it is always best to have that shield in place during operation.

/ LX5 cutter shear bolt #12  
Speaking of maintaining a slip clutch, what exactly is needed to maintain these things? I didn't get an owners manual with mine, and since I've only had it for a couple of months, haven't given much thought to it.

/ LX5 cutter shear bolt #13  
Basically loosen the clutch adjustment bolts to "force" it to slip, fire up the tractor and deliberately let it let it slip a bit (scouring off any rust) a few times, then reset the bolts to give a certain measurement. Guess it could be a little more work than that if the clutch has actually seized from rust and doesn't want to let go. The exact procedure is in the MX6 manual - try

MX6 manual

Under "Section 45 - Lubrication and Maintenance" - the "As Required" link.