M5140 vs. M6040

/ M5140 vs. M6040 #11  
The V2403 has a good track record and is used in the MX4700 and MX5100 only without the turbo on the MX4700. The only difference I saw was the M5140 has an organic main clutch and the M6040 has Ceramatalic; wish I was smart enough to know whether that's important or not, but I kind of like it anyway.

As mentioned by ovrszd, the M6040 appears to come with larger tires. I like big tires and so does my dealer, so he orders all M8540 with the same tires as the M9540, if not, like ovrszd I would have an M9540 as opposed to our M8540.

While draft control is not necessary for most of us, I have had to change my opinion on it a bit. I used it farming, but not doing utility work. Since going with a much bigger box scrapper, I use it on our M8540 and kind of wish I had it on our L5740, not a real big deal, but a nice to have at least for me.

Not trying to change your mind, just throwing things out there.

/ M5140 vs. M6040 #12  
Ceramic clutches are more durable than the regular clutch. They can take more heat and not warp, and also withstand more wear.

/ M5140 vs. M6040
A few days ago,the dealer delivered to me a new M5140HD, , Hyd. Shuttle, ROPS, FEL, Loaded R4 Tires, Canoply, and 6' Land Pride cutter. When I first looked at it at the dealer, they were unloading it off of the truck. It was freshly made in Nov. of this year. I really like to buy something that has not been on the lot for several months. When I first went to the dealer, I asked about the M6040HD and they said it was not a popular tractor, and usually, for a little more money, people would just go to the M7040HD. There is about a $1600 jump between the M models. eg. M5140, M6040, M7040. As far as tire size is concerned, the M5140 and the M6040 have the same R4 tires. And the clutch is Wet Disk and not dry. If I were using a turning plow, I would sure have opt'd for the draft control. Back in 1985, I paid $350 extra to get draft on the L2550, but in all those years, I never used it even once. Anyway, that's my story and I really appreciate all the good comments that you have offered. It's nice to have some good opinions from knowledgeable people. Thank You and Happy New Year!

/ M5140 vs. M6040 #14  
Ceramic clutches are more durable than the regular clutch. They can take more heat and not warp, and also withstand more wear.

Thanks for the information.

/ M5140 vs. M6040 #15  
A few days ago,the dealer delivered to me a new M5140HD, , Hyd. Shuttle, ROPS, FEL, Loaded R4 Tires, Canoply, and 6' Land Pride cutter. When I first looked at it at the dealer, they were unloading it off of the truck. It was freshly made in Nov. of this year. I really like to buy something that has not been on the lot for several months. When I first went to the dealer, I asked about the M6040HD and they said it was not a popular tractor, and usually, for a little more money, people would just go to the M7040HD. There is about a $1600 jump between the M models. eg. M5140, M6040, M7040. As far as tire size is concerned, the M5140 and the M6040 have the same R4 tires. And the clutch is Wet Disk and not dry. If I were using a turning plow, I would sure have opt'd for the draft control. Back in 1985, I paid $350 extra to get draft on the L2550, but in all those years, I never used it even once. Anyway, that's my story and I really appreciate all the good comments that you have offered. It's nice to have some good opinions from knowledgeable people. Thank You and Happy New Year!

Only the models with the hydraulic shuttle have a 'wet clutch.' The rest use a standard clutch.

/ M5140 vs. M6040 #16  
Generally speaking, the smaller HP tractor in the same chassis is the best buy for the money. Generally speaking the $1500-$2000 to jump up the HP seems very expensive.

I

In my current tractor the M8540 and M9540 share the same identical engine. The 10 HP difference is gained in fuel delivery. The M9540 has a size larger tire, front and rear. The tire size drove my decision more than the HP. I was buying a tractor sitting on the dealer's lot and a discontinued model. I could only find a M9540 equipped as I needed so I didn't have much of an option. Later I heard of buyers that went for the M8540 with the larger M9540 tires installed.

You could put any option tire on available on the M8540 I opted for the Radials 12.4 x 24 Front 18.4x30's over the Bias Plies the dealer said they would have put a different tire on the tractor but i figure for $750 what the heck get the radials. I purchased a 2011 because i really did not want the added cost or frustration later down the road with a Tier 4. Mechanical Injection is so much simpler

/ M5140 vs. M6040 #17  
You could put any option tire on available on the M8540 I opted for the Radials 12.4 x 24 Front 18.4x30's over the Bias Plies the dealer said they would have put a different tire on the tractor but i figure for $750 what the heck get the radials. I purchased a 2011 because i really did not want the added cost or frustration later down the road with a Tier 4. Mechanical Injection is so much simpler

Yes, you can get different tires and such on the M8540, now M8560. I wanted cast centers, air ride seat, quick coupler for FEL and a couple of other things but it was going to take several weeks to configure it the way I would have liked. My old tractor was toes up and I needed a replacement ASAP, so I took as close to as I wanted as I could get. If a person has the time, wait and get what you want that's what I did on my L5740.

/ M5140 vs. M6040 #18  
Sounds like the $1600 upgrade was not cost effective for you. If you don't need the HP, I would certainly agree. As I said, generally speaking, the smaller HP version of identical chassis is usually the best bang for the buck. Good luck with your new tractor when ya get it!!!

/ M5140 vs. M6040 #19  
I had a M5040 you will be very happy with the M5140, post some pics..