M59 Lube Challenges

/ M59 Lube Challenges #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
There are a couple of other places on the M59 Kubota - and maybe other models of Kubota as well - that can benefit from some innovative greasing. These are all sliding and pivoting joints that would work much better with periodic grease or oil, Kubota didn't make provisions for greasing them.

But it's just grease, and we can do it ourself. Some of the places are difficult, but I doubt that any are outright impossible.

1. The tie rod ends on the Kubota M59 are similar to several other models in that they have no grease fitting. Apparently they are designed to be "self-lubricating" with a plastic bushing. That turns out to be either optimistic or just plain wrong. Tie rod ends need grease.
For a good discussion on lubing the tie rod ends, Go to:​
Hmm... come to think of it, I think I was being a bit too generous in saying that plastic bushing tie rod design is "optimistic". I haven't looked at mine, but that self-lubing tie rod end design has been tried in a variety of machinery for over 30 years that I can remember.... By now pretty much everyone mechanical knows that is simply the wrong way to build a heavily stressed tie rod end. Get some lube in there.

2. And while you are down there at the front of the tractor is a good time to take a look at the front axle center pivot. Kubota did put a zerk fitting on that pivot joint to put some much-needed grease in that center axle pivot. Good for them. But the zerk is hard to spot and get to. Good thing grease guns come with adapters. Might as well tighten up the free play while you are there. The pivot itself is an unusual cone bushing type and should be tightened just enough to make all the play go away.

3. A sort of odd place that one could add some beneficial lube is to the control cable under the right foot board that goes from the HST foot throttle back to a rotating drum - I think it is part of the auto throttle setup. Mine broke at about 600 hrs and required replacing the cable. No big job, and the new cable wasn't expensive...., but it is a completely unnecessary repair if only there had been provision to lube the cable in the sheath. When I examined my broken one it was dry and failed in tension rather than in flex. That is a sign of no lube. Since it is a sealed cable and the rubber bellows is small, I'm thinking this might be a job for a hypodermic syringe and gun oil. A shot of oil every few years ought to do it.

4. Another place on the M59 that needs lube looks to be harder to deal with. I haven't figured out how to lube it yet on mine....

Here is the story: My loader control was beginning to feel different in one direction than the other so one day I decided to pull up the rubber cover and grease the loader valve pivots. Seemed easy enough because I thought that my loader control valve was probably under that rubber cover on the control stick. But what I found there instead are bell cranks & wire control cables that run down the control stick to the real loader control valve which turn out to be bolted to the frame under the right floorboard and behind a steel cover. After lying down beside the machine and taking that cover off the loader hydraulic control valve appeared to view....along with the control cables & associated small threaded end-play adjusters. Photo below.

I've been a mechanical guy for 60 years, and that is the most crazy complicated way to actuate a loader control valve... I've never seen anything quite like it and cannot fathom why they would do it that way. Not only is it a lot of unnecessary monkey motion, but it is down where dirt and mud accumulate. But do it that way they did. And of course those control cables are all eventually going to need lube. Mine are already working a little bit stiff in one direction. The problem is how in the world can we lube those cables? I'm open to ideas on this.
Can we force some lube up the cables from the bottom? Getting to the upper end of the cables is more difficult than you'd think.​
rScotty

Attachments

• loader control valve & actuator cables.JPG
    loader control valve & actuator cables.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 119
   / M59 Lube Challenges #2  
Thanks for the info. My loader control has also started feeling harsh recently, and I have been thinking about removing the plastic panels to see what I can lube. I also missed the rear axle pivot early on in my greasing.
Also now on my list is the hst pedal. There's no mention of lubing it in the manual, but I suspect I should look into it.

Anyone with an L60 series care to comment?

/ M59 Lube Challenges #3  
There are two easy accessible zerks on the front axle pivot right side on my M59. Is there one I’m missing?

Control cable lube is difficult. I do like CorrosionX lube.

Motion Pro Cable Luber V3 - YouTube

Is a tool for motorcycles and atvs cable lubricant injection.

Still spitballing a simple method to seal around the M59 loader cables with a lubricant straw to pressurize lube up the cable. Something as simple as rubber tourniquet strap? Soft rubber tubing split go around cable then a hose clamp to seal around cable/shroud juncture with a lube straw? I’ve tried the later before with some success on other more delicate applications.

/ M59 Lube Challenges
There are two easy accessible zerks on the front axle pivot right side on my M59. Is there one I’m missing?

Control cable lube is difficult. I do like CorrosionX lube.

Motion Pro Cable Luber V3 - YouTube

Is a tool for motorcycles and atvs cable lubricant injection.

Still spitballing a simple method to seal around the M59 loader cables with a lubricant straw to pressurize lube up the cable. Something as simple as rubber tourniquet strap? Soft rubber tubing split go around cable then a hose clamp to seal around cable/shroud juncture with a lube straw? I’ve tried the later before with some success on other more delicate applications.

It sounds like you found the front pivot zerks. On the M59 I've adjusted that pivot several times now and still over washboard roads I seem to get too much out of phase bounce going on either from the front end or else it is bucket movement. The SSQA is tight. I haven't found what is causing the bounce.

On the loader control, how does your M59 feel? Lubing from the bottom is much more accessible.

If anyone does try to access that loader control from the top, it involves taking off the plastic control cover - which involves taking off the plastic handle covers..... And be especially careful with the illuminated electrical activating button for the front hydraulics. I should have disconnected the leads from below and then fed them up as I pulled up the plastic control cover. But I didn't do so and somehow destroyed that button. It is very fragile and Kubota wants a fortune for one. I'm looking for a replacement.

That was about the point where I discovered that the control valve wasn't located up on the top of the control valve stalk as I was expecting anyway.....

The best way would be to come up with a gizmo to force lube up from below. Maybe something like the cable luber you show but fancier. BTW, it's worth taking off the lower cover anyway. Mine was full of mud.
rScotty

/ M59 Lube Challenges #5  
Loader control is smooth. Have not lubricated. Do ~3x/year wash or blow the dust and mud off. Now I have 100# of skid plates and tool holder bolted in front of that loader valve cover.

Just changed the oil and cleaned the fuel filter this morning. That bonnet protector is a sweet tool service bench.
IMG_1451.JPG

The manual says 9.9qt with filter. I get 9.1. Used no oil in the last 200 hours and 3.5 years.

/ M59 Lube Challenges #6  
Phase bounce... tire flat spotting? Get that some on the tractors, 4 wheeler or old truck. Most notable in cold weather and I think you have more cold weather than us. Rub some CBD oil on your tires

/ M59 Lube Challenges
Phase bounce... tire flat spotting? Get that some on the tractors, 4 wheeler or old truck. Most notable in cold weather and I think you have more cold weather than us. Rub some CBD oil on your tires

It could be flat spots on the tires. Surely something is causing it. No matter what it is, a hydraulic accumulator would br the simple way to take care of it. Or of course I could just slow down.....

Remember to put that bonnet protector back up before lowering the bucket or yours will look like mine.

/ M59 Lube Challenges #8  
Thinking of your sage expertise every time I open the bonnet protector. Thanks.

/ M59 Lube Challenges #9  
I’m not a fan at all of the M59 loader valve. A direct mounted valve or a hydraulic over hydraulic valve like a skid steer would be much better.

/ M59 Lube Challenges #10  
I’m not a fan at all of the M59 loader valve. A direct mounted valve or a hydraulic over hydraulic valve like a skid steer would be much better.

I vote for servo controls on the loader and backhoe. For what they charge for the machine they should be standard equipment.