M9540 Bogging Down

/ M9540 Bogging Down #11  
Bad fuel is my vote. How long has it been since you refueled? Did it sit a while without a full tank? Could be condensation.

/ M9540 Bogging Down
Take off your fuel water separator bowl housing (the part where the fuel shutoff valve is) and clean out the housing where the fuel goes in. What happens is occasionally trash will get caught up in the narrow entry way before the shutoff valve and stave the engine for fuel.

I will try this when I get home. Another thing I noticed, when looking at the clear plastic housing which contains the fuel filter element, at idle this is not staying full of fuel, the level drops and rises continuously, shouldn't this remain full at idle?

/ M9540 Bogging Down #13  
The level should not be changing. Does this tractor have a fuel lift pump that feeds the injection pump? If so that pump might be shot.

/ M9540 Bogging Down #14  
I will try this when I get home. Another thing I noticed, when looking at the clear plastic housing which contains the fuel filter element, at idle this is not staying full of fuel, the level drops and rises continuously, shouldn't this remain full at idle?

Stopped up fuel inlet. Mine does the exact thing. If you look you will see a small trickle of diesel flowing into with small bubbles then all of a sudden it will shoot down and refill. Takes about 10 minutes to yank it off and clean it.

/ M9540 Bogging Down
Stopped up fuel inlet. Mine does the exact thing. If you look you will see a small trickle of diesel flowing into with small bubbles then all of a sudden it will shoot down and refill. Takes about 10 minutes to yank it off and clean it.

Awesome, that sounds like the solution. I really appreciate this and all the advice on here.

/ M9540 Bogging Down #16  
The circle part is where the inlet is and where the blockage typically occurs. Pop out bolt "A" to remove the housing, undo the hose clamps with some pliers, remove screw "B" to release the stopcock, blow out the housing and the fuel hose with compressor (or your lungs, doesn't really matter just one tastes less funny than the other) and reassemble. You should hear bubbling in the tank when you blow though the hose. Might as well clean out the inside of the housing while you have it off. Fill the cup up with some diesel, push on the primer on top of the housing till it is firm, unscrew the bleeder valve on the injector pump, fire it up, then while it is running go back and screw down the bleeder valve.

fuelblockage_zps620b147d.jpg

/ M9540 Bogging Down #17  
Take off your fuel water separator bowl housing (the part where the fuel shutoff valve is) and clean out the housing where the fuel goes in. What happens is occasionally trash will get caught up in the narrow entry way before the shutoff valve and stave the engine for fuel.

BINGO

I had that happen to my M9000 last fall. The sediment bowl (between the fuel filter and the lift pump had just enough crud in it to restrict the fuel flow at high demand, no issue at low demand (no boost). Take the bowl off and clean it in clean diesel being careful with the water level float, blow it out with comprssed air, fill it with claean diesel and reinstall. You'll have to reprime with th hand pump on top of the injection pump and start using a ful additive like Lucas or Power Service Bio-Clean in your diesel

/ M9540 Bogging Down #18  
The circle part is where the inlet is and where the blockage typically occurs. Pop out bolt "A" to remove the housing, undo the hose clamps with some pliers, remove screw "B" to release the stopcock, blow out the housing and the fuel hose with compressor (or your lungs, doesn't really matter just one tastes less funny than the other) and reassemble. You should hear bubbling in the tank when you blow though the hose. Might as well clean out the inside of the housing while you have it off. Fill the cup up with some diesel, push on the primer on top of the housing till it is firm, unscrew the bleeder valve on the injector pump, fire it up, then while it is running go back and screw down the bleeder valve.

This is why I love this forum!!! Nice post, dixie! :drink:

/ M9540 Bogging Down #19  

thanks dixiedrifter for this very useful troubleshooting info. will keep in mind for my own 8540. good eye & well stated regards

/ M9540 Bogging Down
Thanks much dixiedrifter, this seems to have fixed the problem, I truly appreciate you taking the time to explain the process.