Mac Tools AW434M Impact Wrench

/ Mac Tools AW434M Impact Wrench #11  
Unfortunatally, I have never used the services of an "air tool repairman"

My HF stuff is throw-away anyway. Who actually expects a $7 die grinder to last anyway??

And IF/When my IR2135 ever fails me, I wont get it repaired. I will get a new one for ~$300. Because so far, even if mine quit tomorrow, I have gotten well over $300 worth of use out of it. The first two years of its life was with me on the job at the factory I worked. Industrial Maintenance. It was used daily:thumbsup:

I was partially, but only partially, kidding you. You may go a long time without a problem, just as many people lived long lives without ever wearing a seat belt. it's just a matter of playing the odds. A very general rule of thumb is to repair an air tool if it costs no more than 50% of the price of a new one.

But there's certainly nothing wrong with cheap throw away tools either. My first air impact was from Habor Freight, rated at about 210 ft. lbs. and it lasted many years. Some things it just wouldn't do. And of course such tools are not worth having them repaired if they break. I currently have a 3/8" air ratchet and an angle die grinder from Harbor Freight; cheap, but do what I need. And as you said, if one of them breaks, I won't waste time or money fixing them; I'll just go get another one.:)

/ Mac Tools AW434M Impact Wrench #12  
Lucas Oil makes a good air tool oil and so does Blaster. I have used both with no problems.

/ Mac Tools AW434M Impact Wrench
I didn't write the numbers down, but while airing up tires this afternoon I believe the sticker on my compressor state 4.0 CFM at 90 PSI. This is a Kobalt upright unit I picked up at Lowes. I could be wrong, but think it might be a 26 gallon tank. Any thoughts on it being adequate for the tool discussed above? I believe it had a chart on it that listed it as adequate for Impact Wrenches.

/ Mac Tools AW434M Impact Wrench #14  
I didn't write the numbers down, but while airing up tires this afternoon I believe the sticker on my compressor state 4.0 CFM at 90 PSI. This is a Kobalt upright unit I picked up at Lowes. I could be wrong, but think it might be a 26 gallon tank. Any thoughts on it being adequate for the tool discussed above? I believe it had a chart on it that listed it as adequate for Impact Wrenches.

I would imagine the specs for the impact will call for an average air consumption of 4.2 to 4.5 CFM at 90 psi. For a lot of people and uses, you'll find a lot of opinions that you don't have enough compressor. But for your personal use, I'll bet you do. Now if you have a lot of tires to remove; i.e., lots of lug nuts (or bolts) and they're tight so the impact has to hammer awhile to loosen them, and you rapidly go from one to another, you might have to pause to let the compressor catch up sometimes. But for one or two nuts or bolts, or for one tire, you'll probably find it works just fine.

It just depends on how much work you have to do, and how big a hurry you're in.

/ Mac Tools AW434M Impact Wrench
The MAC AW434 is a very good impact wrench; rebadged Chicago Pneumatic CP231.

I would not use regular Marvel Mystery Oil for the reason stated by deere5105. However, they make Marvel Mystery Air Tool Oil which is what I used when I was in the business of working on air tools because I got it by the quart. But now, I used Campbell-Hausfeld because it's conveniently available at Walmart in small bottles, as stated by buggyman1.

Any oil is better than no oil, but any oil sold as being specifically for air tools is the only oil I'd use.

And a few drops of oil into the air intake before use is good, but even better is a few drops after use. Put a little oil in the air intake, one quick shot of air to distribute it, then put it away. That will go a long ways toward preventing corrosion.

And for anyone who doesn't already know it, you cannot hurt the tool with too much air tool oil. Any excess will be blown out the exhaust when you start. However, depending on which direction the exhaust is aimed, you may not like getting all that oil on your work or on your clothes.:laughing:

Did some more checking and it seems there is no one brand of air tool oil recommended over another, unless it is by the manufacturer recommending there brand. Talked with a friend who runs the shop at a local car dealer. Got basically the same feed back from him. Dropped by local parts store this afternoon and they had the Marvel Mystery Air Tool Oil. Picked up a small bottle of it for less than $5.00.

Thanks for all of the input and suggestions.

/ Mac Tools AW434M Impact Wrench #16  
The MAC AW434 is a very good impact wrench; rebadged Chicago Pneumatic CP231.

I would not use regular Marvel Mystery Oil for the reason stated by deere5105. However, they make Marvel Mystery Air Tool Oil which is what I used when I was in the business of working on air tools because I got it by the quart. But now, I used Campbell-Hausfeld because it's conveniently available at Walmart in small bottles, as stated by buggyman1.

Any oil is better than no oil, but any oil sold as being specifically for air tools is the only oil I'd use.

And a few drops of oil into the air intake before use is good, but even better is a few drops after use. Put a little oil in the air intake, one quick shot of air to distribute it, then put it away. That will go a long ways toward preventing corrosion.

And for anyone who doesn't already know it, you cannot hurt the tool with too much air tool oil. Any excess will be blown out the exhaust when you start. However, depending on which direction the exhaust is aimed, you may not like getting all that oil on your work or on your clothes.😆
Hello Bird,
I am brand new to the Forum but an old guy on a farm. I got tired of making do with tire irons and decided to buy an impact wrench. The new battery powered ones are too expensive for my budget. I found a MAC AW434 at a good price and bought it. I don't know much about air powered impact wrenches but I have used them before. I am confident that I can take it apart clean it and re-grease the hammer components. I also understand about putting good air tool oil into the air intake before and after using the tool. I can not find online anywhere an owner/user manual for the AW434 so I have a question about it that I hope that you can answer for me. There is a plug on the tool right next to the air inlet that takes an Allen key to remove. It is right inline with the grip and the trigger. I found a schematic of the tool and under the plug is a part called the OILER FELT. I want to know if I need to put oil into the tool through this opening since the name OILER FELT implies oil. I think that I understand everything else about the tool but any advice is appreciated. If you have any idea where I can find a manual please let me know.
Thank You